Feed yourself well for £1 per person per day

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I have just found a fantastic resource for frugal foodies. It is a blog by a lady called Lesley and she has put together over 300 recipes and organised them into weekly meal plans and shopping lists.

She has also done a 'No Power' meal plan for when the power goes out

This government report says that average spend per person per week on food and drink eaten at home was £24.92 in 2011, or £3.56 per day This is £1299 a year per person, spend £1 a day and it is £365 a year, per person, a saving of £934.40 per person per year.
    This means that a family of four would save £3738pa This kind of figure would make a significant difference to sorting out any debts, or it could pay for a decent family holiday or maybe a significant dent in a deposit for a house, it could buy a decent car…. Or what else? What could you do with nearly £4,000? And don’t forget, this is without earning or saving a single penny extra!

Recipes

Meal Plans

All the recipes also give you nutritional information as well so you know you are also getting a balanced diet.

Many of the recipes are vegetarian and vegan and are marked so

Have fun

Paul

• I have spent an average of a 10 euro a week on food for decades, and I make little effort to even try. A Stollen from lidl was me splashing out for Xmas.

I took my blind mom shopping yesterday, my dad is too bone idle lazy to , 150 euro and that was after a 200 euro shop the week before.

I bought a kilo packet white lentils and of split peas, plus a lettuce.

Anyway, nice resource.

• I couldn't live on a £1 a day, I spend £35-40 a week on food, I like my fruit/nuts/veg etc,
    I think you could live on a £1 a day short term but long term your health would suffer.

• I couldn't live on a £1 a day, I spend £35-40 a week on food, I like my fruit/nuts/veg etc,
    I think you could live on a £1 a day short term but long term your health would suffer.

I agree with what you're saying, but try your local market for fruit and veg, ours is LOADS cheaper than the shops

• Off all things you can spend your money on I think good quality food should be your top priority . It is a sad fact a lot of the cheapest foods are not very good for you or raised/grown in an unethical way . I enjoy eating and cooking and am in the lucky position to produce most of our own veg, fruit ,meat booze and eggs . What money I do spend on food , I get the best quality I can.

• I agree with what you're saying, but try your local market for fruit and veg, ours is LOADS cheaper than the shops

I do kkbell, we have a great market here on a Thursday and a Saturday which has a massive fruit and veg stall,
    I buy loads and the guy always gives me some for free :)