Happy :) Now to get power steering fitted

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• The crappy motorhome I bought passed its MOT today and I am astounded and very pleased.
    It's 28 years old with no power steering.
    I need advice on how to go about getting power steering fitted. I know it will cost a bit but I wont be able to drive it without it.

• What make of vehicle is it?

Power steering is quite simple. The steering rack ( or box) needs to be changed, and a power steering pump added to the engine, the two are connected by two hydraulic hoses, it is driven by most often the same belt as the alternator.

In reality, while power steering could be added to a vehicle that never came with them as an option, it would require quite some fabrication skills and knowledge, best bet is to look for a vehicle in a breaker that has all the donar parts and use them as a complete set to replace the steering rack or box on yours.

• I have a 2.4D Toyota Hiace.......when the power steering belt came loose..I COULD NOT drive the van...I am 23 stone, built like a brick outhouse and driven allsorts without power steering......this was IMPOSSIBLE.... I hate to be a peeist on the campfire, but if its that bad, why did ya buy it?

• You'll have a job to steer a vehicle that's fitted with power steering if it isn't working, as you're fighting against the stationary pump. A vehicle which only had it as an option must have been able to be steered without problems with a manual system, it just wants a bit more turning of the wheel with a bit more force, but should still be doable. Unless you have a medical problem which prevents you from doing this, I'd spend the money on overhauling your manual system. When considering adding something to a vehicle always remember that it adds weight, costs money and is something else to go wrong!

• I have a 1980 vw lt28 with no power steering. It's a bugger to turn the wheel when stationary but quite easy when moving even at a snails pace.
    Power steering was a luxury years ago, I think we have lost the art of driving ie. Don't turn the steering while stationary, it's what drummed into me when I learned to drive.
    Depending on the vehicle, it's quite easy to convert to electric assisted, plenty of kits on the interweb

• I have a 1980 vw lt28 with no power steering. It's a bugger to turn the wheel when stationary but quite easy when moving even at a snails pace.

Very few cars in the seventies had powering steering but they did have skinny (relatively) tyres. Often they were also rear wheel drive.

We learned to do a three point turn using clutch and accelerator and were expected to pull on handbrake and clutch control at every change of direction unless going downhill where the brake was more appropriate.

Do they still use teach these skills?

Power steering was a luxury years ago, I think we have lost the art of driving ie. Don't turn the steering while stationary, it's what drummed into me when I learned to drive.

Yes, exactly this. It's a pig in my HiAce to get out of tight parallel parks. But if you get moving that tiny little bit, the steering is much, much easier (basic physics in action). Also ensure your tyres are always the correct pressure. Mine should be at 65psi, but some dumbass had them set at 35... :whistle:

• The crappy motorhome I bought passed its MOT today and I am astounded and very pleased.
    It's 28 years old with no power steering.
    I need advice on how to go about getting power steering fitted. I know it will cost a bit but I wont be able to drive it without it.

Where about are you? I heard there is a place that does them in Simonswood, St Helens/Liverpool area.
    This was about a decade ago but they may still be there.

• Scammell.jpg

My Grandfather used to drive Scammells like this one from the factory in Watford up to a port somewhere in Scotland. They'd have a tank, some other vehicle or a cargo of crates and the whole lot would be loaded onto a ship for Russia and he'd return by train. Each journey took a week. No power steering of course and roundabouts on the A1 had to be taken in first gear as it was physically impossible to turn the wheel fast enough to get round otherwise!

• Haha, there's a bend on the main road near me that I have to take slow now because I haven't got power steering in my van. The steering wheel goes round more than 360 degrees to get round it, whereas in my car I used to be able to just fly round it, one hand on the wheel and a quarter turn.

Call me insane but I'm happy with no power steering.