Anyone living in Portugal or has lived there on land shared or owned by themselves?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• This is a bit of a stab in the dark but I'm going to try here first. At the moment I'm looking into full time narrow boat living, but the other option would be living on my own plot of land semi rural in Portugal maybe a yurt, roundhouse, static caravan or any other non permanent structure.

What I'm hoping to find out is, is there anyone else on here that has done this or is doing this now, and would be prepared to share some valuable information with me, or even better willing to let me come and visit, perhaps some help on their land for free lodgings and info.

I have tried to find out as much as possible about the legality of living on your own land low impact off grid over there and the info is vague too say the least, we don't want to have to deal with all the crap you have to go through over here.

The idea of communal living isn't something we have been too keen on due too having to attend community meetings and we aren't keen on children being about due to noise, peace and quiet and respect for privacy is of the upmost importance to us.

Hopefully someone might be able to help us with this, or point us in the right direction.

Many thanks in advance.
    John
    😎

• Like a lot of places in europe the legality depends on the area.

I know people in my country ( france) who have gotten hassled to death for a simple thing as a summer use only yurt in a field, others who have built house around a bus and eventually got full planning permission give to them because hey, some concil tax is better than no council tax.

Generally speaking things are much more laid back in southern Europe mainly because not everyone is utterly obsessed with property values as well as more land being available.

• This is what I thought, and I would rather move further south as it's warmer.

I just hate the idea of not being able to live on your own land, like you said some tax is better than none. We just don't have the money to do this in the UK.

• Im also exploring options out there... does anyone know of an allotment or small field (arable) i could let on a yearly basis out in Portugal?

hi there
    i been living off-grid in Central Portugal for around 6 years now. Bought some land by a river and started off in a Tipi then yurt now have finally finished building a roundhouse. Had no planning permission for the land, but so far no problems and have had plenty of visits from the so called 'environment police'! im not the only one either there at least 4 others in my area doing alternative buildings and loads more in other areas up north. So far we seem to be getting away with but i doubt that will last. But its certainly much easier to do than in UK. I think in Portugal the authorities haven't seen anything like yurts and eco homes before so they dont really know what to do with us!
    fire away with any questions you may have!
    thanks

• hi there
    i been living off-grid in Central Portugal for around 6 years now. Bought some land by a river and started off in a Tipi then yurt now have finally finished building a roundhouse. Had no planning permission for the land, but so far no problems and have had plenty of visits from the so called 'environment police'! im not the only one either there at least 4 others in my area doing alternative buildings and loads more in other areas up north. So far we seem to be getting away with but i doubt that will last. But its certainly much easier to do than in UK. I think in Portugal the authorities haven't seen anything like yurts and eco homes before so they dont really know what to do with us!
    fire away with any questions you may have!
    thanks

Hi there thats great sounds like you have nice little set up. However i have absolutely no interestin owning land for the moment. Im happy to rent a little rural land in portugal. If you know of any people, or an internet or facebook group whereby i can speak to people who are interested in renting out land to me that would be great.
    Im looking for something cheap very cheap, near a water supply, river or well. and the ability to build a shed/smallcabin for storage and allotment purposes.
    When i say cheap i mean a nominal yearly fee of around 50 - 100 euros per year?

• This is the sort of thing I have been thinking of, can you elaborate more on the visits from the "environment police" please.

As far as work goes I now class myself as on the verge of retirement yes at 33, but if sometime in the future I require some extra money I can always find some kind of work I'm certainly not a job snob.

Ideally I'd rather head south mainly due to the warmer climate.

Don't forget boom fest next year 😋

• hi all,
    sorry for the delay in reply!ill answer your questions in turn....
    WREKAGE : for the last few years i was renting out a yurt for 'glamping holidays' but i got bored of that so now im making yurts instead!
    TREESTUMP : im afraid i dont personally know of anyone who can help you there but there are a few groups on facebook where you could go, just type portugal in the search bar and see what comes up!
    johndoe: 'environment police' is just the name foreigners give them i think, anyway they just go around visiting foreigners properties looking for the following: unregistered businesses, illegal building and weed growing.

the most difficult thing here is earning a living, helps if your multi-skilled and working together with others is also a good way forward!