The waste numbs me.....

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I know thousands of folks are suffering... and I am by no means trying to detract from that....but ALL this food cannot be bad....tins, bottles, anything sealed, can be used, wash it, give it away....homeless charities, homeless people, freegans, whoever. A place in Lincolnshire used to sell 20 cans of tins with no labels for a £1 it was potluck, never knew what i was having for lunch...
    2F33DF8A00000578-3352263-image-a-70_1449663578485.jpg

• we dont all have dishwashers on our buses :rolleyes: , and even if i did i aint sure about putting scummy tins of food in there, for a start they get hot , so maybe need to pierce the cans/packets ,labels will be loose from the flood soaking or if not will end up in ya filter ..
    could be that you get a really interesting veg/fruit/pet-food stew :D

• we dont all have dishwashers on our buses :rolleyes: , and even if i did i aint sure about putting scummy tins of food in there, for a start they get hot , so maybe need to pierce the cans/packets ,labels will be loose from the flood soaking or if not will end up in ya filter ..
    could be that you get a really interesting veg/fruit/pet-food stew :D

The cans would not burst in a dishwasher, even so, no dishwasher? remove labels, dunk in a strong bleach solution after rinsing and good to go! given the chance i would deffo rake through that skip and commandeer all i could fit in the van!:p

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sootyfoot ().

• I'd say there's no easy legitimate way to get rid of that contaminated stuff...

...but there's probably a reason it's sitting out there in a skip in front of the shop. If anyone wants to take anything they can, unofficially. I know I would, as would lots of folks :)

• Certainly the cans or tins I would take, wash off the labels and mud and marker pen back on the contents.

Loads of dog and cat food in that skip, the bloody dog eats run over and dried toads, and licks the shit off her own arse, I am sure a little mud on the tin will be the least of her concerns.

• I'd use a lot of that. Just use your common sense. Anything that's going to be cooked or heated anyway I'd just wash and use, and most things that are still sealed. Don't see a problem. We love throwing stuff away today :S

' When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place '

• As I found out recently ..talking from a skip is illegal, even if you ask permission as soon as it hits the skip it becomes the skip owners property,although rarely prosecution, bear it in mind if someone decided to get arsey

The skip is rented to the person who is ritefully filling it. The stuff in the skip is the skip companys after its collected. I always ask b4 I take anyfin.