What have I done!!!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• We've all done it, made a really stupid mistake when on a conversion, but will you share it with others so they can avoid doing the same thing? Or are you still in denial?

Cutting a gap for a rooflight was my favourite stupid - long time ago!
    I'd got hold of an old telecom van, and decided that what it really needed was a rooflight so I could see when up to no good in the back (I was about 19 at the time...), so I found a rooflight at Melvin Clarke's (the local hold everything hardware store), and having declined to listen to his advice on fitting it (as I knew EVERYTHING in those days) I drew around the skylight and proceeded to cut the whole using a dodgy pair of tin snips I'd liberated from somewhere - without allowing anything at all for overlap. Oops.
    When I finally killed said van several months later it still had black bin bag Gaffer taped over the hole in the roof.....

• I once did some grinding to a metal cross member on my transit roof. Helf&shady I got all prepaired, except the grinding disc threw all the Sparks away from me and over the front of the vehicle. Later I realised my windscreen was as rough as a cheese grater to the touch. All the red hot fillings had fallen short of the front of the vehicle and burnt themselves deep into the glass windscreen. Windscreen wipers lasted only a few rain showers before they were worn away.

• Post by Oromis ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • I once did some grinding to a metal cross member on my transit roof. Helf&shady I got all prepaired, except the grinding disc threw all the Sparks away from me and over the front of the vehicle. Later I realised my windscreen was as rough as a cheese grater to the touch. All the red hot fillings had fallen short of the front of the vehicle and burnt themselves deep into the glass windscreen. Windscreen wipers lasted only a few rain showers before they were worn away.

I have done the exact same thing, AW.

Once upon a time I was doing some mods to my VW LT camper, moving the side door to the back and welding the rear doors to the side, yes, it is possible on a LT as the profile is identical.

Anyway, it had old style non fire retardant foam as insulating, it caught fire from the welding and the only way I could see where the fire was was because the paint was bubbling with the heat, I had to smash holes in the interior panelling with a hammer and pour bottled water through the holes to put it out.

Moral of the story, don't do stupid mods to your finished home out of boredom.

A few years later I had a coach, when parked up I always disconnected the battery cable that went between the two starter batteries. This time I was doing some odd jobs on it and dropped a screwdriver and then forgot about it, alas the screwdriver landed on the positive terminal of one battery and the chassis, since it was disconnected, the was no short.

One day I decide to move on at short notice as we were all off to a new site in convoy, so i connected the short link cable up to start the engine.

The moment the battery cable touch it welded itself to the terminal with the high amps, obviously I could see there was some sort of short, while I was desperately trying to pull the cable off the shorted battery literally exploded with my face barely a foot away.

As luck would have it it exploded away from me and very little acid hit my face.

The moral of that story, always check the batteries before connecting them, It could have cost me a pair of eyes.

• the shorted battery literally exploded with my face barely a foot away.

As luck would have it it exploded away from me and very little acid hit my face.

The moral of that story, always check the batteries before connecting them, It could have cost me a pair of eyes.

People don't realise the potential bomb a lead acid battery can become in the wrong hands.

I fitted a large lorry battery into my Massey Ferguson 65 tractor. I left the bonnet up, jumped on the tractor seat and reached under the steering wheel for the ignition wire as I had lost the key. The loudest bang, I was covered in warm battery acid on my face, arm, chest and leg. My arm and face had a few cuts in them from shards of the plastic battery casing. I saw one lead battery terminal shoot up in the air about 40 foot, as high as the chimney stack on the house.
    I was really really lucky. My arm took most of the blast from my face. In less than 4 minutes I had washed my face well with clean water, but it still felt burnt from the acid.

I had forgot that my tractor like many other older tractors is Positive Earth.

• fitted battery to dads BMW 735i when i was about 19, it was the wrong, put pos lead on wrong side, had battery wrong way round heard a small tsssssk sound, started car after correct fitting....switched off, took key out, engine still running! :eek: repair bill from BMW £2750!!! never lived it down

• Friend of mine drilled through his Ford Fairmonts boot floor to release the 6" of water than had gathered there due to crappy boot seals, spent the first couple of minutes confused as to why the water wasn't appearing under the car when he realised that the boot floor was also the top of the fuel tank....

• I was busy concentrating on welding a vertical seam, tricky for me at the best of times, and this was in a tight space.

Mr Plonker chose to come and grind off one of the side pieces.

Took a while for me to realise the smell of burning hair was my beard...

:beard:

• Years ago, just fitted a new exhaust on my '72 Air-cooled VW bus and thought it would be a good idea to leave off the large piece of 'tinwork' that sit's over the top of the exhaust. Didn't realise that it was there to separate the air inside the engine bay from the outside world and was a vital part of the cooling system! Needless to say, the engine overheated and melted a hole in one of the pistons the same night... while I was bombing up the M6 on my way to a beach party!
    Made it to the party though, and drove round on three cylinders for months afterwards.

It's no use shouting about who's to blame, when all that counts is how to change...

• Friend of mine drilled through his Ford Fairmonts boot floor to release the 6" of water than had gathered there due to crappy boot seals, spent the first couple of minutes confused as to why the water wasn't appearing under the car when he realised that the boot floor was also the top of the fuel tank....

Ha love this, I used to work for Rover and we had to drill the occasional hole in the boot floor to let out the water.

Me and a mate once drove from Banbury to Oxford (on the old road, not the M40) in a mini pick up in very windy weather.
    when we got there and stepped out of the car, then noticed the wooden rear load cover was missing. Oops

Another time had 7 up in a mini clubman estate (no, not the drink), was driving into town one college lunchtime, and suddenly heard (and felt) a loud bang.
    Then one of the wheels rolled past us.
    Somehow managed to snap all 4 wheel studs on one hub - luckily was only going slow anyway and so ended up on the pavement.

• Rebuilt a cylinder head and changed the oil on a car I had. Rushing to get the job finished I forgot to put the sump plug back in and poured a full can of castrol all over the roadside. Luckily I stopped it going down the drains, but it took ages to clear up...:wall:

• Someone wanted to put a plug on a fridge. The plug had 2" wire hanging out, so rather than changing the plug, he connected the three wires together individually.

He asked me to tape it up; so I did. With all three wires touching.

Needless to say the resulting bang was entertaining.
    In the end I decided it was safer if I fit the plug correctly. And now the fridge works.

• Figaro, that reminds me of the time I beat a police car off the lights...
    Young and daft, going home latish after a night out with mates, at a traffic lights I decided to steam past the line of traffic in the nearside lane, go to the end of the empty right turn lane, and race in front of whoever was on the front of the nearside queue:whistle:

The lights changed just right, and as I got to the front of the queue I was able to zap past the bright-looking leading car and cut in front up the road, realising too late it had a blue light, which it soon switched on as it closely followed me. What a berk I felt!
    They kept me for about twenty minutes, trying to find something wrong with the car, had me breathing into a bag, told me to bring my docs in the following day, etc, etc. Luckily those old bag breathalysers were not very accurate; I wouldn't have got away with it today.