Food Waste

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Why is it not going to food banks, homeless shelters, hospitals etc. I once saw a programme were the farmer let pumpkins rot in the field, simply because they weren't big enough for Halloween. Some didn't go to waste though as a woman collected some and made them into soup, think she gave it to oaps. In this day and age were people are starving supermarkets should be made to sell this kind of produce or fined, however the consumer must also take responsibility for this and demand the supermarkets change their wasteful approach.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34647454

• I have helped a friend turn out his sheep onto a field with thousands of good healthy cabbages still growing in the ground. I asked if I could take a few home. The farmer said yes. Turns out he had a contract with a large supermarket chain to supply 12000 cabbages. He would forfeit a £££ fee if he only could supply say 11500 cabbages. So he planted well over 15000 cabbages, to make sure he could fulfill the supermarket order. The supermarket also stipulated that he could not sell any cabbages to their competitors. So each year he has to plough in or graze off any surplus stock. It's a crime, but that's business these days.

• A timely article, but while the supermarkets are keeping prices up by rejecting anything less than their 'standards' I don't see them changing. As the article states, they are in competition with each other to show the cleanest and 'best-looking' produce at a given price.
    Imagine if they also had a 'sub-prime' section, with lower-priced fruit and vegetables; in which section would the majority of people then be shopping? At what cost to profits?

My local supermarket has three sweet peppers in a cellophane pack, usually at £1 or more.
    My local market sells me four or five slightly riper ones for £1. These have been rejected by supermarkets.

• I have helped a friend turn out his sheep onto a field with thousands of good healthy cabbages still growing in the ground. I asked if I could take a few home. The farmer said yes. Turns out he had a contract with a large supermarket chain to supply 12000 cabbages. He would forfeit a £££ fee if he only could supply say 11500 cabbages. So he planted well over 15000 cabbages, to make sure he could fulfill the supermarket order. The supermarket also stipulated that he could not sell any cabbages to their competitors. So each year he has to plough in or graze off any surplus stock. It's a crime, but that's business these days.

Ahh that's interesting. I drove past a field of cabbages a little while back, which also had many sheep in it, gobbling away. I just assumed the sheep has escaped from an adjacent field, but maybe this wasn't the case!

• Although it was common farming practice well into the 20th century, maybe still is, to grow fields of crops especially for sheep to feed on, although I think it was usually turnips - cheap, easy to grow.

• It shuld b illegal for supermakets 2 put any clause in a contract that creates waste. If found out they shud b made 2 comp the farmers and fined. Hit em were it hurts in the pocket. Its just about money 2 em.