Is bigger always better?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Evening all!

Has anyone ever bought a van and then (once they got settled in it) wished they got a smaller one? Ever overestimated the amount of space you really needed or whatever?

Raff

• No not here, the opposite if anything, I used to have an ex-welfare bus the space inside was great but it was so slow and I like to get from A to B as quick as possible, I now have a Merc' Sprinter which is fast but we are very limited with space, but as we aren't full timers (yet) it will do for now, maybe if we didn't have two dogs tripping us up all the time I might look at things a bit different :)

• im with wurzel! bigger is better... ;) and of course its also down to how you use it (oo er missus) :angel:
    I have a Transit which is fine for the odd weekend away, but then the home comforts and space for kitchens, toilets, showers etc.. there simply isnt room in a van for more than 2 people with comfort...
    Hence im now building the lorry!
    I have 2x children, when i got divorced 9 years ago they were 4 & 5 yr olds and we could get away for a weekend in the transit and have space... i now have 2x teenagers and suddenly the transit simply doesnt have the space or comfort that i will have in the lorry.

• I'm in 5.5 metres and I always thought that all I ever needed was another half a metre to make my life complete but now I'm on my own i have space for everything I need and a little bit to spare.

It's always a swings a roundabout situation. More space means more fuel, more insurance, more road tax, more ferry costs if you're venturing across the water and it can be harder to visit little villages with ordinary parking spaces. But then again - you get lots of SPACE!

• I know some campsite are refusing to allow the largest of motorhomes on site, unless pre booked and suitable plots are available. I'm thinking if it's 7.5 ton minimum needed. It could be worthwhile including your hgv ticket in the purchase budget. You get a lot more for not much more fuel. Having space makes for easy overloading in weight.

• im planning on towing a car behind me when i go away with the lorry... that way i can leave it on a camp site and just use the car to pop to town, the beach, days out etc.

• well im also adding a taillift to to the back so i can a) lift my generator b) motorbikes/quad bikes c) use as a rasied seating area - like a verander! lol

• What I'm trying to figure out at the moment is whether - considering my likely pattern of usage for the van - I'll actually need room to stand up. Once I'm back at work in a few months, a typical weekday will be:

6am - wake up, scoff some raw fruit breakfast and a coffee
    6:30am - gym, shower
    8am - work
    6pm - leave work
    6-9pm - dinner, plus evening activity (unlikely to be out that much, as love being a hermit)
    9pm - sleep

Then most weekends I am planning to drive off somewhere with my road bike and spend most of the day outside riding that. Or getting up to other kinds of mischief.

So really it looks like I am hankering after a van that I can stand up in so that I can perhaps be stood up whilst I put the coffee on in the morning and get dressed, and perhaps be stood up whilst I cook dinner. Other times I'm in the van I'm either asleep, getting ready to leave, or evenings I would probably be reading or watching something... so unlikely to be stood up.

What with being out of the van so much, I wonder if I really need standing space or not.... I certainly know I'd like it if I could click my fingers, but is it worth the more restricted parking, the extra cost of a taller van (in most cases) and the greater conversion costs for insulation and interior wall coverings, etc?

• well im also adding a taillift to to the back so i can a) lift my generator b) motorbikes/quad bikes c) use as a rasied seating area - like a verander! lol

Yeah that would be ace! I've seen a tail lift being used as a deck area on a big Luton (Transit). Think there was a custom awning on it too for the fine British weather :)

• From what I know of you, for your needs I think a swb low roof transit would be fine. Get a swivel chair and boom, all problems solved, you can cook sitting down!

My bro has a low swb transit that he uses for work. i have already been in it a few times (when he got it i was more excited to see it than he was upgrading to it!) so will have to go sit in it and have a think.

Saw a 2002 citroen relay low roof, think swb, and that looked nice. Lovely straight walls..

• Not even moved in mine yet and I already wish I had of gone for the hi top rather than mid hight. Being able to stand properly makes vans a much more pleasant place for me. I don't feel like I need more length as Iv crammed all the gadgets I need into the space I have, just the hight thing.

Parking doesnt feel much different to my Old smaller van but then I'm not in a city so never really have issues with parking. Obviously can't get in multi-storey parking anymore but that's no big loss.

• Just to throw in a curveball, there's always the option of a pop-top, camper style.
    That way you can stand up if you want to, just pop up the roof, but if you can't be bothered...

I guess a lot depends on your own physical height. If you're only around the 5ft mark then you might only need to get a mid height roof instead of the full high top option. The van's for you, so why buy something that caters for people that won't be using it?

It's no use shouting about who's to blame, when all that counts is how to change...

• I'm 5" 2 with a hi-top Transit!

Sometimes I get annoyed at the parking restrictions, but in my HOUSE I want to stand up. I can stretch, dance, get dressed, even jump as I've got over 8" of head room.
    Trap, could I stand up in your van? As if you'd remember whilst I don't lol. I could have got a smaller one. Do you fit under the normal barriers?

Gosh I hate those pop-up roof things.

• I would say if you intend to live in it full time or even just spend a lot of time in it a high top is best,being able to stand up is nice.
    I have a Vauxhall Movano hitop LWB and its great,does not feel closed in like some vans and thats without and windows!
    I use mine for working from and also will soon be living from it too.that said I will be towing a trailer too.

• Just to throw in a curveball, there's always the option of a pop-top, camper style.
    That way you can stand up if you want to, just pop up the roof, but if you can't be bothered...

Yeah I thought about getting a pop top. I used to have a pop top VW T2 (1976) and I ADORED that. That was when I lived in central London... got a lot of attention... and I may be returning there so I don't know whether I want to get that much attention again!

I had a dream that someone gave me a Suzuki Carry the other day. I am well and truly van obsessed.

• Trap, could I stand up in your van? As if you'd remember whilst I don't lol. I could have got a smaller one. Do you fit under the normal barriers?

Trap said I would be able to stand up in his, and I'm 5'4". So reckon you'd be all right my love.

• Yeah I think you would both be able to stand up in mine. Im about 5'10 or 11 and I only have to bend my neck a little. I cant fit under the normal hight barriers as I have an arial on the roof so it would have made no difference if I had got a hi-top anyway in that regard.

• I'm 6'1 and in my renault master I can stand enough to get dressed ect. More than a few minutes would give me a bad neck.
    At 5'4 you should be fine for standing room in a standard transit type van. I know mine is 5'8 wide inside so you could get a bed in across the width.

• Not even moved in mine yet and I already wish I had of gone for the hi top rather than mid hight. Being able to stand properly makes vans a much more pleasant place for me.

Parking doesnt feel much different to my Old smaller van but then I'm not in a city so never really have issues with parking. Obviously can't get in multi-storey parking anymore but that's no big loss.

I had a high roof transit, by the time the beds in and kitchen, you only have a few meters of floor space that you can stand up in. It's worth considering a molicroft roof build just inside your side door.

Just be careful parking within the white lines in carparks. I got a £34 parking ticket because my wheels hung over the line by 3 inches. I tried to contest it. Until they produced photographs.

• I had a high roof transit, by the time the beds in and kitchen, you only have a few meters of floor space that you can stand up in. It's worth considering a molicroft roof build just inside your side door.

Just be careful parking within the white lines in carparks. I got a £34 parking ticket because my wheels hung over the line by 3 inches. I tried to contest it. Until they produced photographs.

ouch! What car park was that in fella? Very harsh!

• unless your going to stay under 2m so you can get under height barriers you may as well bite the bullet we have had smaller vans but to be honest as long as you use abit of common sense theres not as many issues as you think with a large van we always find somewhere to park and we get the added bonus of using bus lanes lol and no shortage of room inside