USA has lost the plot.

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0355hf6

This is insane, they mention the lawyer but he took it because he gets paid. How the court system took this case is another matter. I raised my nephew for four years so my sister could go to work, I did night shifts at the time and was working 12 hours coming home looking after my nephew having 5 hours sleep then going back to work nearly got killed twice, falling asleep at the wheel coming home and an accident at work but would never have crossed my mind to do something like this. The worrying thing is our countries culture is getting as bad for claiming money, then they wonder why people dont want to live in the "normal" world.

• She isn't a nut job she just had trouble holding her horderves, I mean how can one cope not being able to hold horderves, she could become a social outcast instead of looking like a fruitcake. :)

• I have a feeling there might be more to it than the press are reporting, because it makes such a good story when framed in this way.

I don't know how the healthcare system in America works but I'm assuming that the whole case really has a lot to do with insurance companies arguing over who should pay out?

• (Unusually) the Daily Mail seems to have quite a rounded take on it and sort of explains it a bit more.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new…-claims-FORCED-trial.html

I think it's very unfair to dismiss her as a nut job without fully understanding the facts. Most people, put in the position where they had to find tens of thousands of pounds, I'm sure would do the same. If insurance companies don't pay out, what happens? I assume she could lose her house? Her car? And then her job, because she can't get there?

Somebody please correct me if I've completely misundestood the situation!

"My religion is very simple. My religion is kindess."

The post was edited 1 time, last by r3ubs ().

• Maybe not a nut job but very uncaring, the lad lost his Mum last year and now his Aunt as him in court. In the end what does it say to kids in America, hug someone and you could end up in court.

• Years ago I heard that in things like this we are 10 years behind the US, years back they started the ambulance chasing mentality and in the last few years we've started doing the same.

• I think it's very unfair to dismiss her as a nut job without fully understanding the facts. Most people, put in the position where they had to find tens of thousands of pounds, I'm sure would do the same. If insurance companies don't pay out, what happens? I assume she could lose her house? Her car? And then her job, because she can't get there?

Somebody please correct me if I've completely misundestood the situation!

Most people who have access to hors d'oevres also have access to health insurance. ;)