Your water storage solution

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I would be interested to hear what those of us using vans do about their water storage. Im not yet full time van living but my idea is to use 10 or 20litre plastic jerycans filled as and when i can obtain supplies,be that from taps or streams(I have suitable water filtering equipment)Plus any water for drinking will be boiled first so no problem with bugs!
    Waste water will go into separate cans to be emptied at suitable spots.
    I want to live as simple as possible which I know does not suit everyone. I dont see a huge demand for water use daily as for personal washing one can do a simple wash down or a shower(in my case it will be one of those solar bag jobs)

Thanks all!

• Water is pretty easy to get hold of in the UK so you don't need to carry too much. There are a couple of threads on filtering but it looks like you have a handle on that. Don't forget that the bigger the container the heavier it is, even 10 is pretty unwieldy.

Make sure your waste container is easily distinguished from the clean. :vomit:

I have used Jerry cans in the past & found them to leak around the spouts, probably easily fixed but I didn't check before leaving on a long trip which was dumb.

• Hi ya,
    Brand new Metal 10ltr Jerry type Fuel can, With Pouring Spout attachment (screwfix use to do them) Cut 3 Lengths of Hose pipe and Sleave the Handles, securing in place with Silicone Tape (Again Screwfix), A 4th longer piece of pipe attached to the end of the Pouring Spout,vwith On/Off Shower head attachment on the end,
    When Full with the required amount of water, Put on woodburner to heat, Top up with cold to required temperature, , Shower or Wash away, Obviously Similar Containers for Just the Storage of water.
    I do find Metal Better, Heavier maybe, but Better, And Sprayed Painted Labels for say, Shower, Fresh, Waste, Diesel ect.

• Hi FriedOnion. I agree with what you say about the container size,thats partly why im against having a builtin water tank,dont see the point lugging all that weight! As you say making sure the waste container is easy to distinguish is essential,I will be marking all mine accordingly. Im using the plastic jerrycans for water,I have steel ones for additional fuel.
    Thanks for your advice.

• Hi Nulife,
    Thats a very interesting idea! not something i had thought of.My idea was to heat up any additional water on the fire using a large billycan! Its all about what works best for each of us i guess.
    Thanks for that

• That's the beauty about forums, it's all about ideas !,
    Some are Good, Some are Gooder.!. But VERY rarely are there bad ones,,,unless they are mine ofcourse !

• I did that too, however, I've been advised against reusing thin/cheap water bottles as they can seep plastic into your water.

That being said I've now got a 20L waste next to 10L fresh and keep a few bottles of 2L under the bed for emergency. Will be upgrading to metal JC (safer) and with the intention of warming directly on the stove for washing etc.

• I just had a 5 litre expandable camping water carrier in my van. Used to fill it up with water from the supermarket at 11p for 2 litres or whatever it was. But my water needs were very minimal in the van. Pretty much just used it for coffee in the morning, brushing my teeth, and washing my hands/face. Showered at the gym every day and didn't do much cooking (I eat like a bloody rabbit) so that was that. For my next van, in which I will be showering and cooking etc., I am thinking of getting a bigger tank (perhaps 15-20ltrs) that has a manual pump on the top to build pressure up, then attach that to a hose and tap and hey presto. A bit like those garden sprayers that you pump up by hand then press the trigger to release the water/solution etc. Anyone know where to get the big manual pump tanks? I've been looking online but don't think I'm putting the right words in. This guy has one for an outside shower and I want one! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_N-xxGTb_g (Pump thing is at about 7:30 if you want to skip ahead... great vid though!)

UPDATE: Should have done a bit more bloody research. Here it is: http://www.amazon.co.uk/ZODI-O…reme-Shower/dp/B000RYWQP6

• Hi Raffi,
    I like your thinking about the pump,have not seen any to fit onto a can,what about a foot pump,like they used to have in caravans etc years ago,some on ebay around £23,sound like a good idea to me,im thinking of one.

• How about something like this?

You just heat some water up & pour it in the bag, twist the nozzle to let it out. It wasn't quite what I was looking for, the one I have used in the past was a canvas bag & the shower head more resembled a watering can but this looks more compact.

For anyone considering heating jerry cans on a ring or fire consider; if it is painted it will give off bad fumes & if you have the cap sealed it could explode.

• How about something like this?

You just heat some water up & pour it in the bag, twist the nozzle to let it out. It wasn't quite what I was looking for, the one I have used in the past was a canvas bag & the shower head more resembled a watering can but this looks more compact.

For anyone considering heating jerry cans on a ring or fire consider; if it is painted it will give off bad fumes & if you have the cap sealed it could explode.

lol, Yes not good to do directly on Fire or Flame !.

• Yeah thought that looked good, Trap. Thanks :D Would something like that work for you, HawthornJohn? They don't usually take that much pumping so I reckon I would prefer this over a foot pump. Wonder if that Hozelock one could have hot water in it... well, warm water. It wouldn't be anywhere near hot enough to warp the plastic I don't suppose.

• It's a bit mainstream I know, but what about a classic camper van style built in water tank and a tap, I just picked up a 125 litre one with filler , pipes and ( weak) pump for 30 euro. They had a few, but 125 litres is more than big enough. Fit a heat exchanger off of the engine cooling system and Fanny is your auntie.

• Couple of good ideas on this thread regarding showers. Regarding water containers I have two 10 litres cans under my sink. This is about the largest size that will fit under there. They are clearly marked and I find that the waste one is only between half and two thirds full when the fresh supply is empty. I cured the spillage problem by putting a bit of foam pipe insulation around the pipe and into the neck of the can. With just me and with somewhere else to shower I find that the 10 litre lasts two days.

• After thinking long and hard about tanks for my setup, loads of computer designs and models, re-measuring to make sure the tanks fit.. then redesigning due to the taps then not fitting etc etc..
    I have just ordered 2x 50 Litre tanks from TankDirect in minehead... found the same ones on fleabay for twice the price!!! so went direct to these guys who have customised the tanks to my spec (well one of them) and they should be here by next weekend, so massive plumbing job on for the weekend!!!

• Nice to hear the views of everyone. Im against having large tanks simply because of the space they need and the weight too,for me my requirements are low so 10 or 20 litre cans should suit me okay. Thanks for the input from you all.