Bye bye to Snail!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Well guys... Snail has gone to a new owner tonight. It's amazing really that it took me weeks on n off to build the inside, and about an hour to completely strip it back, dismantle the cabinets/bed and reinstall the original bulkhead etc. A sad day, but now have some more funds to put towards a bigger version of Snail. Looking forward to it!

• Funny that 'nulife' is first to reply :) Off Snail goes to his new life! Im not exactly sure what I want... Something LWB hi top sort of size. Something big! Got to finish off my phd then i am going to buy myself a new van as a treat for finishing...then off i go to live in it! :D you guys are going to keep me sane having to live in bricks n mortar until then.

• No, Maybe not Mutually exclusive,
    But by Definition, I would have thought that The Stealthy type of Live in Van might have certain restrictions by it's very nature, over say an Obvious Motor Home type of Live in 'Bigger' Van as the OP suggested getting.
    Especially when it comes to things like Wood Burning Or Multifuel stoves, Number, Size and Placement of Windows together with the Access and Egress Points, Something whith Obvious Full standing room in, or just Crouch and Shuffling space, Roof access, The Size and quantity of External Storage, Solar Panels, The Mounting of Tv or Radio Aerials, and alike that May enhance the Comfort aspect for your Livaboard Traveling lifestyle choice, but are harder to encompass or 'Hide' in or on a Stealth type van.
    Ofcourse It's just my take on it.

And being sane isn't as much fun !.

• Ye i think i need something a bit in between... dont want to be really obvious but want some comforts like a woodburner and a decent sized window in the side. Going to try to keep low key but dont mind if theres a bit of smoke coming out the chimney every now n again ( when i cant get my hands on smokeless logs).

Talking of smokeless, does anyone know of any other things that burn without giving off much smoke? I know of those smokeless logs they sell in aldi etc but nothing more!

• Ye i think i need something a bit in between... dont want to be really obvious but want some comforts like a woodburner and a decent sized window in the side. Going to try to keep low key but dont mind if theres a bit of smoke coming out the chimney every now n again ( when i cant get my hands on smokeless logs).

Talking of smokeless, does anyone know of any other things that burn without giving off much smoke? I know of those smokeless logs they sell in aldi etc but nothing more!

what about charcoal ?

• what about charcoal ?

NO,NO NO NO Matey
    I've got it in my head, that it's not good for you in a confind space, THAT being said, I do know that YOU can get Charcoal heaters !, so Yes, yes yes yes, ouch My head hurts !!!,

• Aaaaw poor snaily. When your done with the PHD and on the hunt you will have to let us know what your budget is so we can help you find the perfect vehicle :) There is a lot of nice stuff that pops up on the campervan sales pages on FB.

What are you studying by the way?

• Aaaaw poor snaily. When your done with the PHD and on the hunt you will have to let us know what your budget is so we can help you find the perfect vehicle :) There is a lot of nice stuff that pops up on the campervan sales pages on FB.

What are you studying by the way?

Yeah absolutely! Will be looking here there n everywhere to find something :)

International law *thumbs up*

• Talking of smokeless, does anyone know of any other things that burn without giving off much smoke? I know of those smokeless logs they sell in aldi etc but nothing more!

Ethanol fireplaces - http://www.woodlanddirect.com/…es/Ethanol-Gel-Fireplaces

You don't even need a chimney, but I've thought about building something to burn ethanol in my logburner for the best of both worlds (visual coolness, no need to clean it out, etc). The only problem is that it would be VERY dangerous if any of the ethanol was spilt, or even worse if the thing was knocked over.

Last winter I burnt methylated spirits in my living room (!) just by pouring it into dishes and setting fire to it. I'm a bit strange sometimes. It was very effective - and Ethanol wouldn't smell as much. I could probably bore you with the calculations of how much equivalent heat energy is in a bottle of meths if I can find my notes.

• Very, Very Dangerous as you say, And Stupidity Expensive ! Isn't it ?.
    It's more expensive than Petrol, and doesn't give out a lot of heat I don't think,,,I could have it wrong though, If going down that route (Whitch I personally wouldn't) try a Paraffin heater in a well ventilated area !