What is the best place for a woodburner/stove in a van?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hi all

I'm drawing up some layout ideas, so where would you recommend is the best place for a woodburner to go in a van? I'd be using mine for warmth, cooking (on top and in an oven compartment) and probably drying some clothes as well. I am considering a MWB or LWB van, so that's the sort of floorspace we're looking at. I was thinking at the back near the doors... that any good?

Raff xx

• I like mine placed placed in a way that I can get to a door from the bed without having to pass the burner(for fire safety reasons) Near the other door is useful so you can get to it from the outside with your bucket of water once you have escaped the fire safety issue. Mine is on the floor rather than lifted as they don't really heat space below them. In a lwb van other placement isn't that important as the space is going to heat pretty quick anyway, even if the burner is right at the end.

• There's no absolute best place, it's a question of what suits you and how you use the space its going in. I've fitted them in the corner behind the drivers seat, behind the sliding door on the passenger side, behind the passenger seat and in both rear corners. Generally you'd have the bed across the back, then you need to think where you will put your comfy chair (yes! the comfy chair! with soft cushions!) Behind the sliding door can be quite a good place or behind the drivers seat, but it all depends on your layout. Don't forget you have to get in and out and don't want to burn yourself doing it. Also, try not to shoehorn it into a cupboard space as it restricts the air flow around it and makes safe installation trickier. Corners are good for this reason, two sides are then completely open. Hope that helps!

• I can't help thinking that unless your van is huge** the best place has to be outside, otherwise you are too close to the sides/bed/fuel tank etc. Have you considered the alternative of using a diesel fuel heater like an Eberspacher?

** have seen a couple of nice installations in 7.5tonne horseboxes

• I can't help thinking that unless your van is huge** the best place has to be outside, otherwise you are too close to the sides/bed/fuel tank etc. Have you considered the alternative of using a diesel fuel heater like an Eberspacher?

** have seen a couple of nice installations in 7.5tonne horseboxes

No-one who has had a burner would ever go back to anything else, burners are just so much better. No battery drain, they dry the air and remove damp, you can keep a kettle on for a brew, AND cook on them and you can run them with the door open and watch the flames instead of the telly. And a good one will last a lifetime. End of.

• I think i have had all types of heating in vans, electric, caravan type gas heaters, wood burners and ebershacher diesel heaters, even an Eberspacher petrol heater under the seat in my air cooled VW, anyone remember them?

Nowadays I stick to Eberspacher type blown air diesel heaters, experience has given me an aversion to open flames in very small spaces.

• yea, as LV says above, I've had a multitude of different types of heating over the 30 years or so I've been messing about, and nowadays I've got the 'Webesto' Blown hot air heater, Very economical, automatic, Thermostaticly controlled heat, No Problem to date.
    But if I had to be honest,,,,The BEST heater I EVER had (and miss) was my 'Taylor drip fed diesel heater',,,Silent, No moving parts, No power requirements,constant stable heat !.
    And with the addition of a fabricated Hot plate on the top, Heating a Pie or Pasty and keeping the coffee hot was easy.

• ..except my best friend who got burned out, lost everything. Yes I love 'em too and spent many nights last winter sleeping in a trailer next to a burner, great when the wind was in the right quarter, life-threatening if it changed.

Sorry about your friend, but if it was the burner that caused the fire then either it was an unsafe burner or it was badly installed. Likewise if the wind being in the wrong direction causes a problem then something is wrong with the burner or the install. Fires in buses and van are normally related to a, candles b, alcohol and c, alcohol.

• Post by Languid Virago ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • U make good points Julian, but some technologies are safer than others and at the margins the difference will tell.

Only burners give that atavistic buzz as well as warmth, so in a sense they win. But I've had enough close calls and the older I get, the more I cling to life...

I reckon it should be possible to devise a heater in which the hot bits are located outside the trailer or van and warm air is ducted in. Air source heat pump maybe? It is long way culturally from a bucket of glo, I grant you.

• Well I've decided to stop drinking for a while so hopefully no alcohol induced fires! Also going to pick up CO+smoke alarm and fire extinguisher ASAP.

Got Snail back today (my C15). He started up no problem. Not been used for three months! He likes warm weather. Hates the cold.

• What Uncle Juju says. Nothing beats a burner as far as I'm concerned. If you are not! a fool and take the necessary safety precautions (fire alarm, co alarm, don't play with fire if you are pissed out of your head) you will be totally fine.

Once its Properly installed, you can get as pissed as you like and there will be no danger from the stove, but candles, paraffin lamps and curtains are definitely to be avoided!

• Post by Fire-Tree ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.