My good friend sent me some info about a camper that his friend has for sale. It's a 1990 Ford Transit, I think a 190 model but I'm not 100%. It looks to me like it might have been an old ambulance or something.
From what I can tell, here are the good bits:
- diesel (I do love a good diesel, oh aye)
- new cam belt
- new fabricated aluminium side panels
- comes with toilet and shower units, double slatted bed and new mattress and cushions, loads of storage units, wooden floor, roof light
- high roof
- cute as hell. I love the body shape etc.
Here are some not so sures:
- Mileage reads: "06840", so it's gone around the clock... just don't know if 106k or 206k (can ask owner for MOTs etc to prove)
- Guy says the engine runs fine, but haven't seen it yet so can't verify
- It has windows. Lots of them... so I might have to rethink my stealthiness. Insulation might also be more challenging.
- Doesn't look well insulated. Think I'd have to strip everything out and insulate better then rebuild. So good and bad there.
- No MOT. Last MOT expired Aug 2012 so presumably it has been SORN since then.
- Body looks like it has had some repairs. Might not be a bad thing if rust was dealt with, but might reveal lots underneath.
The guy has it going for £700 OVNO. Any thoughts? I'd have to drive 150 miles (300 round trip) to have a look at it.
Thoughts appreciated as ever! Raff xx