What have you 'Wombled' today?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Liking u got 2 M&S bins!
    Acorns can b made into a kinda coffee I read. Neva tryed it tho.

• Yesterday my other half wombled seven large fresh leeks from the compost heap of a place she works at p/t.
    The school cooks had just cut off and used the bottom three or four inches of each leek, leaving the rest of the stem and leaves!
    So it will be leek soup, leek stew, leek and potatoes; leek everything this Hallow'een weekend!

• Yesterday I managed to womble a pumpkin! Quite a decent size, too. I saw several behind a fruiterers stall on the local market, and asked the guy in charge about them.
    'Take one if you want, mate,' He said. 'They're damaged or got a rot spot in, can't sell 'em like that, so they'll be dumped.'
    I selected one with a small rot spot in the bottom, and just about managed to get it into my bag. It was heavy, so I got the bus home.
    So now we have a pumpkin for lighting up tonight, and lots of pumpkin flesh to cook up and eat, and make jam with, and put in stews for the week ahead. I got full marks from the missus!:thumbup:

• Yesterday I managed to womble a pumpkin! Quite a decent size, too. I saw several behind a fruiterers stall on the local market, and asked the guy in charge about them.
    'Take one if you want, mate,' He said. 'They're damaged or got a rot spot in, can't sell 'em like that, so they'll be dumped.'
    I selected one with a small rot spot in the bottom, and just about managed to get it into my bag. It was heavy, so I got the bus home.
    So now we have a pumpkin for lighting up tonight, and lots of pumpkin flesh to cook up and eat, and make jam with, and put in stews for the week ahead. I got full marks from the missus!:thumbup:

Pumpkin bread is really nice!

I also managed to womble a whole pumpkin that was left over from a wedding decoration.

• Wombled a couple of pairs of brackets from a TV stand my bro was going to throw away. Don't know what they will be used for yet but sure they will be useful come conversion time!

• My partner came home yesterday proudly dragging a wombled rosemary bush. It was absolutely massive, he'd carried/dragged it home having salvaged it from someone's skip outside there house. We have now replanted it and named it Ronald. Hopefully it will survive  but if anyone needs any rosemary, feel free to have some, we now have an over abundance!

Something I read today and that is don't plant rosemary and basil together or the rosemary will die.

• Wombled a couple of pairs of brackets from a TV stand my bro was going to throw away. Don't know what they will be used for yet but sure they will be useful come conversion time!

I still have stuff stashed in the van that will come in useful one day. If fact in the last van some of it did come in useful when I had to do an impromptu repair on the side of the road.

Not sure what I wombled today but it was too good to leave. I found it in the grass verge of the main road when cycling home, made from cast iron and a good weight, only got it because I had the ruck sack to put it in. bar.jpg Any suggestions?

• Yes it defo looks like it is agricultural.

If you are into sculpture or mobile ornaments for outside then this can be used as the top of that...with things hanging either side, i.e. coming down from the circular ends.

• Just dug out a 10 foot long roof rack all in bits looks like the front is missing a bar so needs a bit of playing with and from the same skip a couple of 12 foot pallets that i'm going to slat the rack with ,were a bit sticky out the back of the van but worth the cold and unease of having the door open. oh yeah and crushing my bloomin hand getting them out.

• Picked up a toaster, a kettle, 4 ugly mugs and also unexpectedly a PS2 w/controllers & sports games, from some guy who was ready to bin it all. All I really wanted was the toaster but happy to salvage the rest, will hopefully rehome the PS2 to somebody. :)

• Found a £20 in the street today, wooohoo!

it's probably mine! I know it's windy outside, but didn't expect it to blow it that far away. For your honesty, keep it. Look at it as payment for the wood you had to buy to make your cooker stand. We need more honest people like you in this world.

I think I will go and fly one of our kids extreme kites today. I thought about tying a row of large treble sea fishing hooks to the kite. Who knows I may reel myself in a lost campervan.

• it's probably mine! I know it's windy outside, but didn't expect it to blow it that far away. For your honesty, keep it. Look at it as payment for the wood you had to buy to make your cooker stand. We need more honest people like you in this world.

I think I will go and fly one of our kids extreme kites today. I thought about tying a row of large treble sea fishing hooks to the kite. Who knows I may reel myself in a lost campervan.

it can be done.............
    [h=1]Kite fishing[/h] From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kite fishing is fishing technique involving a kite from which hangs a drop line attached to a lure or bait. The kite is flown out over the surface of a body of water, and the bait floats near the waterline until taken by a fish. The kite then drops immediately, signaling to the fisherman that the bait has been taken, and the fish is then hauled in. Kites can provide the boatless fishermen access to waters that would otherwise be available only to boats. Similarly, for boat owners, kites provide a way to fish in areas where it is not safe to navigate such as shallows or coral reefs where fish may be plentiful. Suitable kites may be of very simple construction. Those of Tobi Island are a large leaf stiffened by the ribs of the fronds of the coconut palm. The fishing line may be made from coconut fibre and the lure made from spiders webs.[1] Modern kitefishing is popular in New Zealand, where large delta kites of synthetic materials are used to fish from beaches,[2] taking a line and hooks far out past the breakers. Kite fishing is also emerging in Melbourne where sled kites are becoming popular, both off beaches and off boats and in freshwater areas. The disabled community are increasingly using the kites for fishing as they allow mobility impaired people to cast the bait further out than they would otherwise be able to. Kite fishing has become extremely popular in South Florida for recreational fishing of many pelagic species such as Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Kingfish, and Tuna. This fishing technique allows anglers to create a very natural bait presentation, while simultaneously covering a large span of ocean which would otherwise be unobtainable by conventional fishing tactics. Kite fishing also affords fisherman the opportunity to fish more lines.

• The OH wombled an oldish Flymo, model E30, which had been chucked out because it had stopped working. A quick check showed the internal switch inside the lever switch assembly was faulty, but because the assembly is riveted together, you can't take it apart to replace the internal switch, like you can on more expensive or older models.

So I wired it up to a plug to check it out and it runs well. Have now ordered a 10A inline switch, which should be more than enough to handle the

• Sum nice expensive lookin handles. The type of flight cases sprung loaded wiv a rubber grip. They were on sum dumped wood shippin crates. I stoped at 8 an I hav no idea wot I will do wiv em!

• No wombles on here for awhile, so we'll start it off for 2016 with what my OH wombled today......OMG!

Thing 01.jpg

Thing 02.jpg

What is it? Well, it was chucked out by a school, so it may be some kind of food keep-warm thing. (Yes, she did ask permission to take it away...[plod])

It weighs really heavy and is stainless steel, and we had quite a job getting it into the garden, where she intends to use it as a garden box, as it is hollow inside.