What have you 'Wombled' today?

• Remember the Wombles? They are small fury creatures that live on Wimbledon Common and pick up and re-purpose things that other people have thrown away.

Well I am a modern day Womble and I suspect there are quite a few on this forum.

Use this thread to show what you have saved from going to landfill and how you are using it.

Yesterday I was cycling through Truro when I saw a chap I know because I often see him busking and always stop for a chat. He beckoned me over and said he had a solar panel he no longer wanted and was going to throw out.

He lived about a minute away so I went round and was surprised to find it was one of the folding suitcase panels with a separate charge controller. I haven't had a chance to test it or look up the specs but I think it is going to be perfect for a little project I have got coming up shortly.

• I am a bit of a Womble too , my new green house been a good example :) . I find our local free cycle group very useful with some great stuff been up for grabs.My best find this year was a couple of hundred metres of 2 metre high wavy edge fencing that had been taken down in the local Lidl car park!

• Charity shop bins! Now days charitys cant sell electrics cos they hav 2 b tested so they go in the bin. Same thing wiv kitchen stuff and plates cups bricabrac. Cant work out wot there thinkin is on wot will and wont sell! Near me sum put out in bin bags too no bin. I nearly corsed a riot by startin 2 pic thru sum. Other ppl joined in and by the time I went ther woz about 6 ppl pickin thru it and the shop owner it woz outside woznt happy! Ha ha. I woz tryin to put stuff back in the bags and keep tidy but they wer chuckin stuff everywer. Culd see his point. Its shokin wot they chuck out tho

• My best freebie score of late was 2 x 6 kilo gas bottles, one butane, full and sealed, the other a propane one with a regulator and just over half full, I sold the propane one at a boot sale for 20 euro and bought a regulator and new hose for the butane one for 10 euro at the same boot sale and enough left over for a packet of cigars, they were dumped at the side of the road by the council bins with a few broken plastic garden chairs and a mattress.

• Today we wombled a tidy wooden corner unit thing and a couple of bins, couple of old board games and the promise of a poly tunnel :) two weeks ago himself wombled a huge amount of gardening equipment at a house/garden clearance job... i ended up with a wishing well and an egyptian head aswell as a couple of new frogs lol :) i live with someone who is a cross between steptoe, stig of the dump and a womble :) he has promised me that this will be the last load of scrap metal that he's collecting up in corners of the garden lol :) one day i *will* have a garden that has enough space to put up a deckchair!! lol

• members with more than five posts will not see this advert

• I am a bit of a womble myself, but nothing compared to my missus. Yesterday she wombled a Flymo that isn't working (But might be if I am fortunate enough to repair it), the lid of a garden incinerator, three builders bags, and 'rescued' a few plants.
    It gets a problem where to put all this stuff at times.

• I'm always finding things , full tub of Plumbers mate I a skip. Passed that on to my neighbour because I have some already.
    Today's treasure was corner reinforcing brackets off a couple of doors chucked in a skip, I've got 8 of them

• I am a bit of a womble myself, but nothing compared to my missus. Yesterday she wombled a Flymo that isn't working (But might be if I am fortunate enough to repair it), the lid of a garden incinerator, three builders bags, and 'rescued' a few plants.
    It gets a problem where to put all this stuff at times.

You could put it all in that nice big pallet shed you built on the allotment, by the way did you manage to sort the roof out on that ?

• I'm (quite) a bit of Womble - recycler to hoarder - it's a bit of a close call
    Ready meal containers make good fridge trays, take away (rice) containers good sandwich boxes for picnics, washing up liquid bottles used as (mini) water jugs - need to focus more? - I guess it's a matter of perception

• You could put it all in that nice big pallet shed you built on the allotment, by the way did you manage to sort the roof out on that ?

Aaargh! Me pallet shed used as yet another junk repository! The horror of it!
    (I have dreams of setting up a low-tech workshop in there, Pete).

The roof. Yes, Marian had a stroke of cheap genius. As we couldn't find any recycled sheet metal locally, and new was too expensive (Trying to keep the build cost to around a £100), she came up with the idea of using a new pond liner at under £27.
    Logical really, what keeps the water in must also be good at keeping it out. I was initially sceptical, but soon found others had used these for shed roofs before, with good results. So we have a brown pond liner roof. How long it will last I don't know, but if it does five years it will be cheap enough. And if we find any corrugated metal recycled meanwhile, we can put it by.

I will have to bring the Pallet Shed Build thread up to date, when I've put a bit more weatherboarding on, and took a few more pictures. Had a heavy cold this last couple of weeks, so only now getting back to it.

• I'm (quite) a bit of Womble - recycler to hoarder - it's a bit of a close call
    Ready meal containers make good fridge trays, take away (rice) containers good sandwich boxes for picnics, washing up liquid bottles used as (mini) water jugs - need to focus more? - I guess it's a matter of perception

Yes, we recycle all that sort of stuff. Ice-cream containers make good storage for bits and bobs, nails, screws, and small tools like dies and punches, chisels, etc. Trouble is we always have a stack of surplus ones, can't bear to throw them away! Used four today to hold about 2.5 kilos of wombled blackberries. Must have had a half kilo apiece with yoghurt for supper - delicious!

• Recently I picked a large pile of Le Parfait jars at boot sale for a brilliant price, I was saying to someone about how pleased I was and they said they had a big copper jamming pan I could have as they no longer used it. I jokingly asked if they had anything else nice they no longer wanted and got given a proper nice big picnic rug which I had been something I had been looking out for for ages.

• Recently I picked a large pile of Le Parfait jars at boot sale for a brilliant price, I was saying to someone about how pleased I was and they said they had a big copper jamming pan I could have as they no longer used it. I jokingly asked if they had anything else nice they no longer wanted and got given a proper nice big picnic rug which had been something I had been looking out for for ages.

• Had a right result skip diving at the weekend - two full packs of floor times - 18' x 12' approx. - each box says it's enough to do 1.17 square metres - so that's the floor under the woodburner and the wall behind sorted out.

Right result.

There were some bits of wood in there as well :-)

• Found a victorian 3 draw chest tryed to sell it no go. Swapped it 4 a pair of boots. They were to big 4 me so swapped them 4 a wheel clamp!! Security. Have I wombled a wheel clamp?

• Shemagh/keffiyah, was thinking what I could use for the front of a cupboard in the van and remembered having one. Best of all it fitted perfect so a neighbour stitched some Velcro on and Bob's your uncle.

• Conversation that happened the other day between our son Henry who is almost 7 and my partner Lee...

Henry "Daddy you know when you go to the skip?"
    Lee "Yes mate?"
    Henry "And you know when you go to the skip and you get stuff out of it and bring it home like your bike and wood and stuff for Mummy?"
    Lee "Yes mate..."
    Henry " Well you know when you went to the skip and got all them pots and things the other day?"
    Lee "Yes..."
    Henry "Well has the skip got a bike in it for me? because my bike is too small and I need a bigger bike but not a big boys bike but a middle sized bike"

...at this point we realise that Henry thinks that all the stuff comes from one skip... a bottomless skip (I really wish I could see inside Henry's imagination sometimes because it is a fantastic and amazingly magical place :) )

Me "Don't worry Henry, as soon as Mummy's not on call we will go down the skip in Exmouth and get you a big middle sized bike"

• Found a tredle sewin machine in its own cupbord! Duno wot I will do wiv it tho. Maybe swap it for somfin

Pics and I'll hopefully tell you what it is, some of the black and gold singer ones go for OK money. Mega reliable.

Or learn to sew, buy a pedal bike, make a sidecar out of scrap, fit the sewing machine,then cycle round on market day or during festivals offering to do people's repairs like they do a bit in Asia.

Or stick it gumtree, go buy a round down the pub.

• Ha ha! Its a French made Pfaff prob between the wars. Ther must be some kinda machine lock on it cos the tredle works but the needle dont moove. Still a nice lookin thing. Pale vaneer an 3 swing out trays inside the door. I used to work wiv Pfaff overlockers. Well made and well fort ov industrial machines.

• Post by ctytpxpro34 ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • Pfaff, the Rolls Royce of sewing machines, my pfaff is elelctric and even at 35 years old is worth a fair few quid for the simple reason it will still be working in the 22 century with no repairs, what an awesome find. I have see treadle pfaffs go for 150 quid in antiques shops, depending on the model and condition of course.

Model number should be on the body of the machine, 30, 50, 131, 130 kind of thing.

• I'm really lucky to live in brighton which is heaven for wombles. People just put unwanted things outside their houses and those in need take them. It works really well.

A few of my best bits include a chaise lange, a biorb (posh fish tank) and accessories, beautiful comfy arm chair, Boden cafetiere, fruit and veg rack, an ikea day bed, a wooden balance bike and lots of other things. And I very nearly wombled a BOAT! Just missed out though as someone beat me to it.

I also put lots out including a couple of those posh gas lift bar stools. I love seeing people's delight when they find something.