Looking for a DIY person who needs some extra cash

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hello there,
    My name is Judyta. I have just bought a campervan (old good LDV Convoy) which unfortunately is missing any heating system. I'm planning to do lots of winter camping, so that's essential. I'm just a simple girl, so won't manage to install it on my own (what a shame), so I'm looking for someone who is experienced in camper conversion and will be able to install a Propex heater (or something similar if you recommend). There's one more thing I need some help with, that is electrics. Although I have 1 leisure battery in a bonnet, I know that's not enough and wanted to have 1 more battery split charged through mains hook up (hook up system is already there). I'll be very happy if there's anyone willing to help me. I live in Edinburgh, but I can go anywhere up to 200 miles. I'm open to discussion about the cost/price of your work. Thank you.

• Have you considered a wood burning stove? Also with the installed 240volt hookup - why not have a bog standard 240volt 12volt battery charger? Use the split charge system to charge both batteries when engine is run.

I would like to do that sort of work for myself. Not having insurance to undertake other people's vehicles would make me nervous.

• Post by judyta ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • I thought about the stove, but from time to time I'll have to park on the road in the city, so would prefer to keep it stealth looking to avoid problems. I don't think anyone would tolerate the smoke in their neighbourhood.

I considered the option of adding another leisure battery to the existing one and never rejected it. I'm open to any suggestions, as I'm not familiar with the subject (yet).

Do you know if such insurance is very expensive?

• I've got a Convoy with a woodburner so the following might help.

A woodburner is more than just a space heater in a camper, it's a clothes drier, source of comforting light after dark, paper and cardboard waste incinerator, and hotplate. I wouldn't be without mine. In towns burn those firelog things, expensive but no smoke is produced.

The amount of electrical storage capacity needed is a kind of balancing act. The more electrical gear you have, the more battery/charging capacity you'll need. I have one 115Ah battery, charged from the vehicle circuit at the moment although a solar panel will go in later. There's no split charger, I just plug it in to the vehicle circuit when I give it a run. I also keep an ordinary battery charger as Alice suggested for an emergency charge up, but have never needed it so far. It helps that I only have two fluorescent lights and a water pump to run, so have never had a problem with a low or flat battery.

And there's no such thing as a simple girl!

• I'm happy there's a solution for the smoke. You definitely convinced me. It sounds much more interesting and versatile than Propex. Anyone fancy for stove installation? :)

I have only 60 Amph battery under the bonnet and need at least 3 x more + 2000W power inverter, mainly because of Vitamix without which any raw vegan can't live.
    Btw how long do you have to drive to fully charge your battery?

Thank you for your kind words :)

• Hi Judy welcome to the forum.

I'm obviously a poor vegan (not raw) as I had to look up what Vitamix was (a blender). As a raw eater do you not use a dryer/dehydrater & similar things?

The main problem with gas heaters is the damp; they produce huge amounts of moisture, you only have to look at the condensation on a plate held over a gas burner or the steam from a household heating system to see it's bad, you would also need to consider ventilation for any heater. Even a heater with a flue needs a source of fresh air.

Check out the Fireweaver for some nice wood burners from a member Julianthegypsy.

• Heat logs from aldi 10kg for 4.99, plus smokeless coal at 5.00 for 10kg,
    both together work a treat, no smoke and no smell, I have parked
    under many a lamp post, with no one realising I have a lovely fire
    going inside my van, there is nothing like a fire to keep you happy.

• Thank you so much Fried Onion. I will definitely contact Julian. His stoves are beautiful.

Raw foodists use dehydrators indeed, but it's not really essential to keep you healthy. I will have to defeat my cravings for crispy snacks.

• I'm happy there's a solution for the smoke. You definitely convinced me. It sounds much more interesting and versatile than Propex. Anyone fancy for stove installation? :)

I have only 60 Amph battery under the bonnet and need at least 3 x more + 2000W power inverter, mainly because of Vitamix without which any raw vegan can't live.
    Btw how long do you have to drive to fully charge your battery?

Whoa, that's a serious amount of weight to carry around just to chop up some vegetables! Where will you keep these additional batteries and do you have enough available weight to carry them?

I have two Silver Varta vehicle batteries, one of which I use as a leisure battery and I can get away with being in one place for well over a week without needing to drive to charge it so I'm struggling to get my head around your 4x leisure batteries x 2000w inverter idea in an LDV.

• Is there a 12v blender you could use instead of your Vitamix? The conversion from 12 to 240 is hugely wasteful, if you could run it on 12v you would get weeks of battery power instead of hours.

Beat ya to it. :pp

Rule one - read whole thread before replying! :-)

• Unfortunately Vitamix is a very special equipment, not just a random blender, so it's difficult to find a replacement. Maybe I just unecesssarily panic that I'll run out of power too quickly. I have to revise my calculations. I thought about 2x 115 Amph batteries, but I'll double check if it's really essential. I was just wondering how to calculate the charge of battery. For how long or how far do I have to drive to charge let's say one 115 Amph battery?

• Somebody call? I'm not sure if Rugby is within 200 miles of Edinburgh, but if you're up for an overnight pitstop, I could fit a burner in a day. Day to drive down, kip in the yard, day to fit, kip overnight again (warm this time) and away in the morning, no bother. Arrive cold, return with central heating, Simples! :D I can also do the maths on your alternator while you're at it....