Recipe Help.

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• After Saturday I'm off work for 19 days and not counting one or two days out i'll be spending the time at home doing some gardening and van work so thought I'd do some baking and cooking, anyway as you know I'm not a veggie nor am I a big meat eater so thought I'd try veggie for those 19 days so I'd like some recipes I could try, not from the internet but ones you've actually tried. I'd also like to empty the cupboards a bit so below is a list that I have loads of and would love to clear out to get some fresh in, I know some last for ages but saves me buying a load of stuff in.

Red Lentils
    Black Eye Peas
    Split Peas
    Couscous
    Polenta
    Chickpeas
    Jumbo Oats
    Cannellini Beans
    Buckwheat
    Noodles
    Spinach Trottole - this looks really good so would prefer something special rather than tin toms and some mushrooms over it.

Some things that I love are cheese, herbs, eggs, spices and mushrooms. Actually the only thing I don't like is celery, also don't forget they can be breakfast, lunch, dinner or supper recipes. I'm diabetic but if you post a recipe with sugar I can easily change it for sweetener. Any input is much appreciated.

• Good on you for giving it a try Clayman, it's not as hard as people think. be careful with over doing the cheese sauces, many recent veggy converts are shocked when they gain weight, forgetting how much cheese they have consumed.

Couscous is versatile in things such as salads, cook it up with some mint, herbs or spices, let it cool a little then chuck in some chopped cucumber & toms with a little olive oil. Serve with some more salad with a nice dressing.

As kkbell says you can use any of the beans, peas & lentils in curries, chilis or in something like a fried bean dish.

An easy refried bean recipe is to stick the beans in a bowl whisk them with a electric thingy, add some toms & herbs till you have a paste then pop a wrap in the frying pan dry, put some mush on top & another wrap on top of that, that gives you a kind of heated refried bean wrap. Which is great. You can also do refried bean meals with some chopped chilis & dorito style crisps, (check ingredients, Tescos own are fine) for a nacho type meal. Grate some cheese on top for extra interest or make a cheese sauce from flour, milk and yeast flakes.

The black eyed peas can be used in a chinese meal, chop the veg roughly, fry some garlic, chili & ginger together then chuck in the veg at a high heat for only a minute or two, serve with the noodles. Good veg for this is peppers, spring onions & water chestnuts.

Most of my Italian style meals consist of onion, garlic, peppers, courgette etc, maybe some aubergine fried then tomato sauce or chopped added on top with plenty of herbs to make it interesting.

Lasagna & canelloni can be made in a similar way with the cheese sauce mentioned above and the italian food mix, add in some aubergine slices that have been fried separately, usually with little oil to get an extra interesting taste. You can pretty much add anything, it's different each time I make it, celery is popular, chuck a tin of beans in if you have them, ideally smaller one, also add some mustard to the sauce.

Mushrooms, tofu & other stuff can be made into a scramble & popped on a muffin for breakfast or lunch.

Rolled oats = porridge :D

• Much appreciated for the recipes so far, I'm thinking the wrap one would be like a quesadilla, have you tried them cold? I was going to experiment with some cold things to take to work when I go back. The oats :pp I usually make my own muesli with them that's why I always have some, was just wondering if people had any other recipes for them, biscuits, cake etc.

In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Clayman ().

• Heated Syrup and butter then add oats. Or honey and coconut (virgin) oil is nice, with dessicated coconut.

I've also put pumpkin and poppy seeds in ours. A dash of vanilla is nice.

Think I have some dessicated coconut.

• Looks like it's round to Dave's for some flapjacks! (no honey in mine ta)

Yes it was something like quesadillas I was explaining, I couldn't remember the name. I don't know about cold, I have an aversion to eating things cold that were once hot. Yes I'm odd, I get told that a lot. :p

• Looks like it's round to Dave's for some flapjacks! (no honey in mine ta)

Yes it was something like quesadillas I was explaining, I couldn't remember the name. I don't know about cold, I have an aversion to eating things cold that were once hot. Yes I'm odd, I get told that a lot. :p

You'd be very welcome.:)