Dread advice please :)

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I've decided that I'm going to get dreads and was after some advice really.

I've tried to do some backcombing and then put the bands in to hold them but they always end up coming apart. I'm not too keen on the twist and rip method because I'm worried it would damge my hair even more :/

My hair is reasonably curly and comes to just above my bum and it's rather thick. Do you have any tips for back combing? Or as I've never tried sectioning before do you think I should pay to have someone do it for me?

• Hi i done twist and rip,my haired damaged now,but it will grow,my hair is quite thick and smooth,so to start did come out a bit,but i stuck with them this time,and most are knittin up nicely,,i got a lot of messy stray bits and lots of loops,but love em,xx

• Do they come apart all the way up or just the ends? If it's just the ends don't worry too much as it's not unusual (backcomb again if it bothers you - I like paint brush ends but some like them blunt). If it's all the way up try twisting in between each bit of backcombing. Sectioning it is better in my opinion but paying for it will cost you a fortune. Get a friend to help if you can. Depends on the look you're after too. I have taken my current ones out :( but intend to put them back in asap. They were free form as the next ones will be. Stray bits will eventually dread up. Clean hair dreads quicker; keep it moisturised with aloe vera - the plant or shop bought aloe gel but use high percentage one - or oil - coconut, olive etc. but not conditioner as this leaves a residue and hinders dreading process.

Good luck,

Amanda :)

I've decided that I'm going to get dreads and was after some advice really.

I've tried to do some backcombing and then put the bands in to hold them but they always end up coming apart. I'm not too keen on the twist and rip method because I'm worried it would damge my hair even more :/

My hair is reasonably curly and comes to just above my bum and it's rather thick. Do you have any tips for back combing? Or as I've never tried sectioning before do you think I should pay to have someone do it for me?

• I've mostly seen the twist n rip method. I'm thinking about getting dreads but my hair is only shoulder length n worried about work.

• Mine was only shoulder length when I stopped brushing it, now almost 1year in to free form I'm happy I chose that method.

Work had no say in it, either let me wear it down or tam it up, had many derogatory remarks and looks from the public and still do,also made professionals at my work look down on me.

It does look messy and nothing like mature dreads yet but it's well on it's way crazy loops, zigzags, some thick some thin and some in between, all loose curly ends. All I do is wash and separate them after washing.

The idea of nice neat dreads was appealing to me but I know how much maintenance is needed to keep them like it so I'm just letting them do their own thing. They need to form not be made, my opinion only.

Don't use wax.

• Anyone know anyone in Oxfordshire that can tidy up dreads? Mrs me has done her own backcomb method. They are looking fab a year in but she wants the loose bits tidying up. Thanks.

• Johndoe...Good for you! :thumbup: What difference does a hairstyle, tattoo, or piercing make to someone's ability to do their job effectively. Give them another year and they will be amazing! :insane: I had mine 'put in' but only roughly as it was by a acquaintance. After that I let them free form which, like you, I prefer. What do you wash them with and do you use conditioner? I agree, definitely no wax as it prevents them from forming! I'm in the last stages of combing mine out and they were waxed by the person doing them and I keep finding big globs of wax - disgusting! I full intend to have them again as soon as these are out... can't wait! :woohoo:
    I've experienced the dirty looks and derogatory remarks and in my good friend's opinion they can simply f**k right off!!! ;)

• Post by Purplemist ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • Mine sound at a similar stage to yours johndoe,and work have never said anything,but they wont be coming out if they did,as purplemist said,knotty hair dont change how i drive a van,lol xx

• Johndoe...Good for you! :thumbup: What difference does a hairstyle, tattoo, or piercing make to someone's ability to do their job effectively. Give them another year and they will be amazing! :insane: I had mine 'put in' but only roughly as it was by a acquaintance. After that I let them free form which, like you, I prefer. What do you wash them with and do you use conditioner? I agree, definitely no wax as it prevents them from forming! I'm in the last stages of combing mine out and they were waxed by the person doing them and I keep finding big globs of wax - disgusting! I full intend to have them again as soon as these are out... can't wait! :woohoo:
    I've experienced the dirty looks and derogatory remarks and in my good friend's opinion they can simply f**k right off!!! ;)

Thanks and yes it makes no difference at all especially when the ethos of your work is to promote diversity.

Another year is easy, I intend to be in it for the long haul. I wash them bi weekly 3 washes bi carb and ACV 1 wash Tgel I know that's not great but can't use Dr bronners as I live in a hard water area.

I don't condition with the exception of the ACV

Each to their own on how someone acquires the locks I chose the way I did for personal reasons part of my new life journey and learning patience.

Take care and stay cool
    😎

• Mine sound at a similar stage to yours johndoe,and work have never said anything,but they wont be coming out if they did,as purplemist said,knotty hair dont change how i drive a van,lol xx

Cool, sometimes I love them sometimes I love them less it's interesting watching how they form.

I was was just waiting for a big flare up about it at work and I was going to give it to them both barrels and with the clout of my Union behind me.

Fortunately for me I am now at a point in life where I need not worry about employment.

Take care and stay cool.
    😎

• Burn the tips of your hair.
    Hair is a bit like rope, if you melt the ends of bits of rope it stops them form fraying... The same is true with hair.
    It also changes the electrical resistance of your hair and therefore your body.
    The human body is surrounded by a biological stew, compounds from your body are charged ions, as you move about you can create swirls in this stew...ora.
    This ora is an electro chemical field.
    It is very real though not too well understood.

• When I was 18 or thereabouts, I can remember riding pillion on a powerful Royal Enfield for a fast ride with no helmet or hat. It took a lot of effort on my part to drag a comb through my tangled locks after that; they were dreading up by themselves, if only I had known about it at the time. This would have been around 1971 time when I had plentiful and long locks. Now When I would love to have dreads, I have lost too much hair to enable them. But perhaps the fast motorbike, presumably on private land or under cover of the night, could be an entrance to life in dreads...... Toby Truxx.

• I think 'twist and rip' is misleading. You shouldn't actually be ripping or breaking any hair while you're doing it. It's just another way of knotting up the hair, like backcombing.

If you're using the backcombing method, first section off your hair (you can do this one dread at a time, you don' t have to section off the whole head before you start backcombing), then backcomb the dread, then palm roll it. Look 'palm rolling' up on Youtube - there's a bit more to it than just rolling the dread back and forth in your palm - it needs to have a bit of a twist to it, as if you were making cord. Then after palm rolling you can also crochet it if you wish. I found crocheting really helped keep my dreads together in the early stages as I have very fine, straight hair. The downside is that it kills your arms and takes a million years to do a whole head, and you can't reach the back very easily at all. Finally, beads, cuffs, bands and wraps will all help little sections where you want to hold things together a bit more.

Never, ever, ever use wax! It will work its way in towards the centre of the dread. You won't be able to wash it out because it would take boiling water to melt it. Eventually it will work its way out towards the surface of the dread and look like horrible gooey white residue that never goes away. I learned the hard way and had to chop my first set of dreads off. It was a very good learning experience though, and I'm really happy with the dreads I have now.

I like wispy ends and mine just naturally want to do that, so I'm letting them. But I've had success in the past with palm rolling the ends to blunt them, especially on new dreads to keep them in. Mine will soon go wispy again anyway if I do this. Burning the ends gives a much longer-lasting blunt end. I didn't know all that stuff about electricity... that sounds well interesting... I'll be off to look all that up so thanks for the tip piratepaul!

• Anything residue free. So no kind of conditioning shampoo or anything to give fuller body or control frizz etc. Rinsing thoroughly is top priority, but you can just use cheap shampoo or soap. Soaking in acv and bicarb is said to be the best but I haven't tried this.

• I'm on with doing mine at the moment and using the rip and twist method, my hair is just below my shoulders. There are loads of videos on YouTube about dreads, how to and maintaining them. Research lots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• My wife made her own dreads nearly 7 years ago and she did mine for me (I no longer have them now). What she did was section them, but randomly, and then with a really fine metal comb (like a pet one) savagely back comb the shit out of it until you are left with stubs of back combed hair and them roll then a bit to take shape. Neither of us banded them, but it can be a good idea. Your hair should dread pretty well I would have thought. Do not use any products and you may not want to wash them for a while.