Tip for the day...........

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum, and we all have different ways of doing things.

So I thought it would be nice to share with others our own little tips for getting by.

Be they things for living in a wagon, converting a vehicle, buying the next home, whatever you think is important to you.

Even the simplest of things.

E.G. When on the road I never pass a tap without checking that all my water containers are full up - you never know the next time you might get a chance to fill up; part of this is because I hate knocking on peoples doors to ask for water!
    Petrol stations, grave yards, public toilets etc. all tend to have taps.

So what tips do you have that you'd like to share?

• When parking up, with or without anyones permission, always keep the place much tidier than when you turned up, maybe the litter or mess isn't yours, but they will think it was. Always look like you can move off at short notice too. People become more relaxed about you staying if you follow the above and are less likely to hassle the next nomad along.

Unless overnight stealth camping, My rule is leave with no litter or untidyness at all within sight of where I am parked. Maybe it looks like no one saw where you were overnighting, but you will be surprised how many do and will have a quick look expecting to see some sort of mess left.

• I've stopped using inverters altogether as they used to drain far too much power from the leisure batteries. Thanks to technology so many electronics only need DC power now anyway, and they come with AC adaptors that transform 240v to say 12v and waste loads of elec as heat. I've got a 25'' tele, a Nintendo Wii, an Ouya game console, a 12v-19v converter for the laptop, a USB power fan, a 4-channel amp with two channels crossed over into a pair of tweeters and mids and two channels going to two subwoofers. This lot's all powered by 12v cigarette lighter plugs. Nothing overheats and I only charge the 4 batteries about every fortnight at around 50% discharge (batteries last much longer if you avoid keep running them flat).

• Make sure you check your drinking water, this is specially for part-timers. Empty your water and make sure your water container is cleaned after use and before your next use.

• I go out my way to talk Lorry Drivers, the nuggets of information they can give regarding Good over night stays, Facilities, Waterpoints, and Good Cafes is second to none.
    They also know the Dodgy ones to stay clear of, And if you get to know where they are headed, you can cover some serious ground & save some diesel if you tuck in behind and can keep up ofcourse !.

BTW Most Churches have got taps I've found.

• Just because you live in a mobile dwelling doesn't mean you can't eat delicious home-cooked food.

When cooking scrambled eggs, good chefs never put any salt in until after cooking. Salting the eggs before cooking causes the final product to become strangely translucent and unappealing, but waiting until after the eggs are cooked produces a much brighter, more appetising yellow colour.

When cooking chicken in stews and curries, you've probably noticed how your meat is too tough, not like from the take-aways where it is always tender and juicy. The reason is simple: Indian and Chinese take-aways, kebab and chicken shops etc always allow their chicken meat to gently come up to room temperature before cooking it. Simples!

Can't get your vindaloo or madras curry to taste like it does from the Indian? Their trick is to add Tandoori paste, like Laziza's, to their finished curries, and some ground clove powder. Add about two heaped teaspoons of Tandoori paste and a teaspoon of ground cloves to a four person curry, and you will be surprised by how good a cook you actually are.

These last two tips have saved me a fortune in take-away curries.

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is meant to be serious.

• Just because you live in a mobile dwelling doesn't mean you can't eat delicious home-cooked food.

When cooking scrambled eggs, good chefs never put any salt in until after cooking. Salting the eggs before cooking causes the final product to become strangely translucent and unappealing, but waiting until after the eggs are cooked produces a much brighter, more appetising yellow colour.

I thought I was queen of the kitchen tips but I never knew that! Excellent tip.

• Post by Innocentexile ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • The nomads amongst us will say if this is right or not, was just watching a youtube video and they said if you park on an incline make sure your head is at the high part when you sleep. By all accounts they've found they wake up with an headache if their head is at the low point, suppose parking on a level surface is the way to go but there may not be a level surface.

• Level or feet slightly down I started in an estate car and spent every night feet well below my head bad backs swollen feet and pins and needles followed a few weeks later. Head down gives you thumping headaches

• Level or feet slightly down I started in an estate car and spent every night feet well below my head bad backs swollen feet and pins and needles followed a few weeks later. Head down gives you thumping headaches

The headaches is what they woke up with on the video I saw.

• The nomads amongst us will say if this is right or not, was just watching a youtube video and they said if you park on an incline make sure your head is at the high part when you sleep. By all accounts they've found they wake up with an headache if their head is at the low point, suppose parking on a level surface is the way to go but there may not be a level surface.

Iv always followed this rule when camping , especially when it looks like its gonna rain
    Wouldnt wanna drown in my sleep :)

• No matter what sort of night you have had, What negative thoughts that are on your mind, Always greet the day with a smile and a cuppa,,,things often appear much better with a positive mental attitude,

• - - - Updated - - -

No matter what sort of night you have had, What negative thoughts that may be on your mind, Always greet the new day with a smile and a cuppa,,,things often appear much better with a positive mental attitude,
    Just this morning I've met and had a lovely chat with the owners I've another boat on the same mooring I'm currently on, shared a cuppa, and waved them on there way smiles all around, email exchanged, and hope to bump into them again somewhere (figuratively speaking ofcourse).

I wonder where that will be !!

• Share Love..Peace..And Happiness And Bounce ..Bounce.. Along Your Way. .
    No Matter How Crappy Your Day. . ..
    Beam A Big Hippy Sunshine Smile...And Say Hi..
    As You Never Know What Will Come Your Way..
    Through Each And Every New Born Day ...:bounce::hippylove:sunflower:))

• When you park up, if there is rubbish around the park-up, collect it up and put it into a black sack - ideally leave it next to a bin, if there is one there, if not I tie it up and chuck it in the back til I pass a bin.

A friend of mine suggested this, and it has good results - firstly because you feel that you have 'paid' your rent, and secondly because people see the area where you are is tidy, and then are less likely to complain that you were there.

Worked well for me several times - I know have a litter grab and a handful of bags in my wagon just for this reason

:-)

• Ooops sorry mods,a combination of fat fingers, bad phone signal, = Duplicate posts above !.
    I will take myself to the seller and give myself a good Thrashing !