cheap insulation, finally got a van!!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I went to town on insulating my van after reading the recommendations to do so on this site, from people who have froze in the winter as a result of not having enough. As stated earlier in the thread, panel vans and probably Lutons too have enough thickness of ribbing in the sides and roof to put Kingspan or similar rigid foam in between, without it intruding on your living area as you probably going to screw ply to these ribs anyway and lose the space behind them. Insulation thickness on my Convoy varies from 25 to 50mm depending on rib thickness. That and a Julian stove keeps Jack Frost away from my unmentionables.

• hey colin, thats some reassuring news! have you had any trouble with condensation using celotex?

No, but in fairness I'm only there 2/3 nights a week at the moment, and the wood burner is generally bashing out heat.

Skylights however, they are a pain in the bum; but I've got a plan involving a sheet of Perspex and an air gap

:-)

• sheeps wool, cos i dont like chemically made things things celotex and the like, then tis covered in t&g or plywood, 17 degrees in here this morning and thats without burner on ( a julian of course ) oh and thick curtains on the windows.been in this truck nearly two years and yet to see any damp or condensation

• thats an interesting one dude, not heard from anyone who has used sheeps wool, whats the process? wool against skin then damp proof then boarding? hat kind of thickness have you got in there?

• thats an interesting one dude, not heard from anyone who has used sheeps wool, whats the process? wool against skin then damp proof then boarding? hat kind of thickness have you got in there?

cos i have a glasonite body ( wood with fibreglass on each side ) i cleaned the interior wall battened it then rubber painted it, spray glued it,wool was bought from b&q on offer at the time then boarded over with t&g or 10mm ply dependent on where it was.not got a so called vapour barrier seriously dont see the need.recently cut new windows and not a trace of damp after two years