How To Go About Buying And Living On My Own Land.

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• [h=1]How To Go About Buying And Living On My Own Land.[/h] Hi Looking to buy a piece of land to live on with wood to supply the raw materials for my carving as a business. A semi in Bebington is not suitable really. I'm looking around Scotland/north wales. I won't to live totaly off grid, sick of paying bills. My needs are a home (I will build from the wood or make a cob/straw house). I have got a camper to live in for temp. Electricity a must for my tools for carving, water supply (dont really want to rely on rain water) and some way of getting rid of waste water. Thinking of making my own turbine and having a reed bed to clean wast water unless anyone has a better cheeper idea. If anyone has done something along these lines and knows the pit falls and has any advise let me know please. I have heard that some people can live on their own land and get around planning if you have animals you have to care for, but what are the rules for what I want to do. I have around 60,000 to 70,000 saved up so not enough to buy a smallholding and I'm not very social, I don't think the nabours will like all the noise I make. I would have to be close to some aminities and people to sell my stuff too. So people can you get your thinking caps on and tell me where to look for any free info that may help me please thanks Jan.

• So many places in europe: Portugal, Pyrenees, Bulgaria would suit that sort of a lifestyle, just not the UK. Planning is a real pain in the arse and for every victory you get with them, there are so many clauses that any fun is taken out of it. Truth is that you could do it in the UK but the battle would remove any fun in doing it. The only exception would be if you bought a bit of land with an existing building on it and then worked it under the new M class. Or without a building and just stayed on it in the summer and perhaps got a piece somewhere warmer for the winter. i mean, planning really don't care as long as you aren't there for more than 28-days. i sort of did it over a 20 year period, ie bought the land, got an agricultural notification for building a barn, then after 10 years got permmision to turn it into an office (m class planning) and in a few years might apply for conversion to a holiday let, then a house...only i don't care too much as i let that emotion go, i sort of keep chipping away at it without letting it get too personal. If you can do that then i would still think that it is a good idea, but if you are going to put your life on hold for 20 years waiting and battling then i'd opt for Portugal, or the pyrenees, but only because i've got mates out there already. I hope that this helps. Peace love :)

• How To Go About Buying And Living On My Own Land.
    some people can live on their own land and get around planning if you have animals you have to care for, .

There is a small possibility of claiming that you need to be onsite to look after animals - but that needs to be a 'viable' business, ie one which makes enough profit to pay a wage (that is their intpreation and not mine). I think wales and scotland might be different but here in the south the only animal that is 'profitable' enough to sustain a small acreage is *drum roll* lamas - which is why you see so many cute faced lamas in the fields in the south - that the land owners are often trying to prove that theirs is a viable business, but there are so many hoops and if a local neighbour with any clout down the local council gets invloved then most often planning will make it very difficult, ie they really do not like people trying to live in the open countryside, i mean, nothing gets them more motivated than the suspicions that someone is aligning in that direction.

• Thanks for the info only trouble is I might not live that long I'm over 50 now. Also all the family want to come along my daughter her hubby and three boys. I also have my youngest in Uni and she wants to stay with us. So stuck here for now.

• Since the trade you want to be in is wood related you may be in a position to buy some 'commercial' forestry or woodland,I say commercial as for getting away with living there under current planning rules you need to be actively working or manageing it for a return.
    Under the regs you can usually -not always- get permission to erect shedding for storage of tools, drying of timber and get away with being on site for security and working the wood or forest...similar to a smallholding where you can claim to need to be there for animal welfare but not normally so long winded and difficult.You can also get grants for forestry and woodland for planting and other elements which might help.The only problem I can see is that you want the whole family to go along which might blow the whole cover that being there is for forest management...I think the planning office would see through that ruse quite quickly.Though you might be able to get away with parking motorhomes discretely but really depends on if you have nosey NIMBY's in the area.

With the capital you have you would be able to buy a decent chunk of forest in Scotland but to be honest Id seriously consider Portugal or Northern Spain( in the Asturias) or even Bulgaria where the property is dirt cheap and the planning situation is not so frustrating.For what you have available youd be able to buy a farm with substantial building/s in either Portugal or Northern Spain big enough for the whole family and where the climate is decent most of the year ...just requires you to learn the lingo -which isnt difficult - to get the most out of a move there.Both of those countries are keen to encourage people into the empty villages that exist there and become active part of new communities...I think youd have far better chance of achieving what you want there than in the UK where the planning process and laws completely stifle anything that resembles an alternative kind of lifestye on your own land.

• I know the Forestry Commission, in partnership with Councils in Scotland, are interested in creating small crofter type self employed units, in the Forest Catchment. Even allowing planning (with restrictions) like tied cottage for example. For small wood hut accommodation. There would be a interview process and contracts etc. but they really do see a demand for forest crafts and a sustainable timber industry, however small. Project viability will be its own strength, subject to supply and demand from all parties and personal/ family commitment. Could be worth inquiring with FC Scotland.

• Halfawhale,
    If you google 'Ben Law' you can read about how Ben managed to eventually get planning permission to build a house on his own woodland and live there. His house-build was also the subject of an episode of 'Grand Designs' on TV. I think Ben also runs courses based in his woodland so derives his complete living from his use of the woodland. Maybe you could even contact him, or go see him, to see what advice you can get. Good luck with your project.

• if you have any other ideas fair isle is looking for new residents,cant see the house prices being expensive up there.
    unsure if you can buy land but rental property is around £500 per anum with crofting rights.from NTS.

• This is an interesting read

Original article

The Land Magazine

paul

• I have survived four years so far on my six acres off grid by keeping a low profile but that's only one person. Not sure how you could get away with a family though.