Anyone lived in a Bedford Bambi?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• My mum is obsessed with sending me pictures of Bedford Bambis because she thinks I'd be much more comfortable in one of those than in my current van. She may well be right. But has anyone had any experience with them? What are they like to run? mpg, mechanics, etc? I think they are absolutely adorable so I can easily see myself in one. Just not stealth though... :(

• The Japanese engine in some of these is a cracker. We had one to renovate not so long ago. Tidy van when finished. Can't remember which Jap engine though. Saw another recently in Rasta livery, seriously looked the part ! More room inside than you'd think. Toby

• Goodmorning Gang,
    I was a passenger once in a Bambi, the first thing I noticed was it really looked GOOD, Lovely.
    The second thing I noticed was it had everything you wanted, but the Camping Toilet was just in the main foot well, so if you're with company, then I hope you're really close friends.
    The third thing I noticed was when I sat in the Passenger side seat, I nearly bottomed out the suspension, (Ok yes, that could be my fault,Cough cough-) and lastly it dam near FRIGHTENED ME TO DEATH when we went one junction on a motorway !.

• I would def. recommend them to anybody n everybody !!
    I have many happy memories of exploring our wonderful country in my little Winnie :) She was a Suzuki Supercarry pickup van with a demountable Romahome pod on the back. She had been totally neglected until i found her and ran like a bag of shite but once home i treated her to a complete service , new set of wheels . rewired + fixed all the leaks, she became the best little van ever :)
    Bad points - small engines so under-powered , mpg only 25ish (30 on a steady m-way run) . slow (65 flat out downhill wiv a tailwind lol )no walkthru on mine tho bambis nippers n rascals do, no room to swing a cat !
    plus points - basic engines easy to work on, always arrived fashionably late, always arrived smiling coz great fun to drive, loadza storage under seats, dont ava cat !

Crikey.... my longest post ever :)

• Post by Raffi ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • Just did an insurance quote for a 1989 bambi and it came up £380 a year. Cheapest insurance ever!

And I'm sure I could negotiate that down as well by calling up the insurer. Reckon I'll be in a bambi come the end of the summer hahah

• My last premium fer said camper also 1989 model at was only £170 fer 3rdP.F.T. - that was 2 yrs ago thru Adrian Flux
    ( tho my age !! + experience helpd )

def. shop around fer the best deal Good luck :)

• I think they're beautiful little things. The only thing I'm concerned about is the fact that I wouldn't be stealth anymore. But do you all think that's such a big problem? I have one more year finishing off my PhD so I have to be in Oxford for that and I want to be able to stay on the streets rather than on a camp site. As long as I'm not being really really obvious and moving around a lot, do you think I'll get bothered?

• One drawback with these being high is they wont fit under the height barriers on many car parks - on the other hand , they are small enuff to fit in parking spaces so supermarkets , diy stores etc , also small lay-by.s are no problem :)
    Maybe u have some friends in oxford with space on their driveway or even in their garden ?
    i never had any bother in mine tho rarely stayed more than 1 nite in any place , and never stoppd in towns unless on friends property

• I actually think that the size, IS the stelth when parking sensible in a Town or City ie Industrial estates, , few would suspect, and it like anything, don't take the Mickey, move about, and don't draw attention to yourself. It makes life so much easier, Out of the town's and Cities, you will be able to stop almost anywhere, just watch your hight as already been mentioned.

• As long as I'm not being really really obvious and moving around a lot, do you think I'll get bothered?

They're not very sturdy - so people will always know someone is in there unless they're being dead still. My rascal moves, a lot - so I'd say that simply from walking from one side to the other will make the van wobble around.

• Fit Wind down Caravan feet on the habitation body, the one I had a lift in (Earlier post) had theas, they not only level, but would stop the wabble and if you get into the habit of putting the winding Handel on the Steering wheel, it's a reminder you don't drive off with the feet down,,

• Why not just wait another year then, or isn't that possible for you ?

Now that I've lived in my current van there's no way I'd go back into bricks and mortar for a period as long as a year. The only problem with keeping my current van is the engine problems. With it struggling how it is, it won't last another winter and I keep taking it to different people and they don't know what's wrong with it. If I sort out that problem I may well keep it longer! :D

• They are mega cute! My old LWB hi-top transit connect was great for parking in towns. It fit under most hight barriers (with the aerial pinging off lights and beams in multi-storey car parks) and could be parked in any car sized space. 6ft long in the back and reasonable room for such a small van. 100% black out of the window and cab area really helped with the stealth element as well.

• Now that I've lived in my current van there's no way I'd go back into bricks and mortar for a period as long as a year. The only problem with keeping my current van is the engine problems. With it struggling how it is, it won't last another winter and I keep taking it to different people and they don't know what's wrong with it. If I sort out that problem I may well keep it longer! :D

Yes, I know what you mean, I haven't lived in Bricks n Morter for 30 years now,and certainly have no intention of going back any time soon lol.

• Back in the eighties I bought a new little Daihatsu 850 van, and was absolutely delighted with it. The driving position, comfort, standard of build and everything about it was tremendous. I had it from new and when eventually it came time to work on the engine you were treated to being INSIDE rather than out in the rain.
    I kipped down in it quite a few times and was very comfortable indeed, and the headroom means you would be quite comfortable sat in there cooking, cuddling a ravishing sheepdog etc.
    The only downside with those little vans is the slightly insecure feeling you have knowing there is only a very thin bit of tin protecting you in a head-on, but it makes you a bit more careful driving around towns and country lanes.
    It was one of those vehicles you become fond of, and let's face it not many these days have enough character for that.

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is meant to be serious.