Country Wines. How do you make them?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Following on from 'Making beer from kits' I would like to start a discussion on how to make country wines.

I have no experience of this at all but it is something I would like to learn about because it is a very frugal way of obtaining alcohol and there is no tax to pay to thee gooberment.

What would be a good one to start off with. What equipment do I need. How long does it take?

Please share you recipes for country wines.

Paul

• Rule one , the fewer ingredients the more honest the wine !

Rule two , cleanliness is a key too success!

Rule three you will become an alchey! but its affordable!

All you need to get started is a fermentation bin, demmi johns , really , but syphon tube , sieve,muslin cloth and big jam making pan are usefull.

My rule of thumb is

4-5 lbs of fruit per gallon .

Place fruit in sterilised fermentation bin, pour boiling water over to cover, wizz it up with hand blender (sterelised) .
    Cover and leave 24 hrs.Then strain and transfer to other clean bin , add sugar (3lbs pergallon ) disolved in boiling water.
    give jolly good stir,(clean spoon !) then cold water to make up to required quanity. Cover.
    When cool (20 C) ad yeast and keep covered , agitate daily for 5-7 days. Needs to be kept between 15-25 C.

Then transfer to demijohns/barrels fitted with air lock .

When fermentation finishes transfer to sealed demmi johns and allow to settle and clear in cool dark enviroment .

When cleared (some wines don't clear 100 %) transfer to bottles or other recepticle leaving leas behind.

Some wines are ready to drink almost immediatly , others like elderberry can require a couple of years for the tannins to break down

My recipie is super basic , and results vary from pretty grim to most quaffable , but they all get you pissed on the super cheap !!!

• I've given up on home brewing. Still got 5 gallons of homemade cider sitting in my shower cubicle from 2 years ago and a gallon and half of sloe gin. I don't drink alcohol, so no incentive. I want my shower back. The tin bath gets too cold in winter for my ageing bod. Try to select wild fruits that are in abundance. Buying in the sugar is costly. Once you have mastered making wine. Try substiting sugar for honey. Again cleanliness is priority. I had 5 gallons go bad on me a few years ago. Bacteria just loves a opertunity. If you know any elders in your community, offer to help them make their wine in exchange for guidance.

• Black currant wine

just started off 10 gallons of this to make room in the freezer!

For 1 gallon

5 lbs black currants

3.5 lb sugar

Pectolase

yeast

water

Put blackcurrants in sterile container, crush and cover with boiling water.

When cool add 1/2 teaspoon of pectolase (black currants are high in pectin , which will result in cloudy grog if no pectic enzyme is used)

Leave 24 hrs and strain off juice

Add sugar disolved in boiling water to juice.Then make up quantity with more water

Allow to cool , and add yeast.

Cover and leave 5 days

Place in demijohn with air lock and allow to ferment out .

Bottle , leave to mature if you can :)

Drink , fall over and repeat ad lib !

• Don't rush out and buy glass demijohns, gallon spring water containers do just as well. Just leave the screw top slightly loose to allow excess pressure to escape. Keep you eyes open for wine bottles in hedgerows, skips, anywhere really. Or scrounge from friends wealthy enough to pay the government tax on bought wine.

• Many moons ago - I did used to home brew. I don't like wine so I never drank it but I liked making it. Then as times went I didn't do any brewing for years BUT - someone kindly gave me three glass Demmi Johns. I have never brewed from a kit - but thought it would be easier for my "first" second time around. I bought BLACKBERRY. I followed all the destructions and all looked well. Until day THREE which said - fill up to 4.5 lit. So I did. just over the shoulders of the jar. Replaced bung and airlock. And then it started. Just a little bit of bubble to reassure me at first. Set on top of the freezer I could keep an eye on it. Day two started the terrible fierce and rapid blupping. And the foaming. Like it was possessed. The airlock turned purple and despite cleaning repeatedly things didn't look as they should. I got advice. Seems I should ignore the destructions and should have started the whole thing off in the bucket. Opinion was split between decant 50 / 50 now or wait. One person said same thing happened to him and after ten days things settled down. But next time use a bucket initially. To-day - day three of the "Seven days will be ready to bottle and drink " ( I think NOT!). And things are slowing a bit. Just cleaning the spatters off the wall, the freezer and the huge sludgy puddle on the tray under the jar. SOOOO take heed..... bucket and then jar!!!

• Hi Ma Bungo. Yes I think you are right - this one is certainly lively! I wish they had mentioned the bucket idea in the leaflet. Anyhow - lesson learned. It is funny though! :D I am planning another one after but that will be a bucket job as I say.