IT'S SO HOT! .... so how do you cope?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• OK, bit of a cheeky one, as I wind the awning out for some shade and if it gets really bad, which it has today, Ican just turn on the 5th wheelers air conditioning on! But it seems like a hot topic for this week, given the weather, so lets share our coping strategies.

I'd love a naked shower under a tree, or some skinny dipping, but I think it would probably get us thrown off the site!

I am keeping the blinds closed on the sunny side of the van though, which keeps the worst of the heat at bay.

• I've just lit the fire and brought the washing in as it's pouring.

I do wish you'd shut up. :)

But yes, keeping the blinds down is number one. Also working out which windows to open to get good airflow. In our van in the Sahara at 50 degrees (get me) one window open just a bit and roof light open just a bit gave much better cooling power than everything open all at once.

Another time in Antwerp stuck in a concrete carpark with not a breath of wind in a mighty heatwave I coped by wetting tea towels at night and putting them in the tiny freezer box of the fridge. The next night when it became unbearable we would get two out and sit with them on our heads. True story.

Happy times.

• If you are parked up, you could pitch a reflective tarp to keep your van in shade and reflect the sun's rays. Something like this -

http://www.harborfreight.com/1…Resistant-Tarp-69204.html

If you are not amongst trees etc. you might be able to put it over the roof of your van and create a sun-reflecting awning on the sunny side of your van using tent poles or long hazel canes etc. The link is to an American site but a similar product is probably available in the UK.

• My van's well insulated, which works both ways keeping heat out as well as in. Covering Sunnyside windows prevents heat build up from solar gain, while the less than hermatic seals on LDV doors ensure some through airflow even when closed. Am still going to put in a roof light though.

• Well i go bare skin ..thin wrap around and then make a silk sheet roof from tie to tree to another branch like shaded roof .with pegs too i make a front silk flap that i can tie back or close ...then i...chuck a load of big cushions and throws under it...put drink in chiller bottle .inside and ....wack on my tunes ...then sprawl out across and underneath it and chillax ...hahahaha :)) as I love the sunshine and heat ..as long as you drink plenty and have plenty of shade for cooling ...I am happy ..happy :))

• On the boat after a morning's work. Doors open fore and aft for a flow of air. Windows open, but blinds and curtains drawn on the sunny side. Strip off and lie down reading messages on UKH. Plenty of water to drink. Managed to get the temperature down to 31º ... C, of course!

• No Air conditioning for us unfortunately, we have moved to a site with electric do we can at least use an electric fan tonight when the windows have to be closed for security.

• And if you drink Hot Tea!! Hahahahahaha it does truly cool you off ...as yes it raises temp but then it cools you down:))....It is like eating a hot curry....peeps drink cold drinks too cool their mouths ..but in fact it makes mouth hotter as yes cools for a few mins but its back soon....So to cool the mouth Drink Hot Tea haha it sort of squishes the hot spices ..."A Nooo I not cray cray a very old wise Indian Man told me that in a Indian Restuarant one night as we chatted about cultures and beliefs haha ...:)) and no i did not know him he just heard me saying to my grown kids who just looked at me like looney hahaha and he just backed me up as i had heard it before but was not sure if true haha ..So he sat and chatted away telling me it cools the mouth and body on hot days too bless him he was the grand age of 92 years young hahaha:) he was a beautiful spirit and funny too :))

• Yes, I've heard about the hot drink cooling you down. It's because as your body core's temperature goes up it sends more blood to the extremities to cool you down, Have a cold drink and your core temp lowers and your body restricts blood flow in an attempt to keep you warm, so always better to drink a hot drink when you're hot, counter intuitive though it may seem.

The most important thing though, is to drink plenty of fluids whatever their temperature; and without getting into too much detail, the darker your pee the more you need to drink.

• Sooo very true :))).....And i pray and say blessings to the goddesses that people have the Sense to think of all our four legged friends too and not let them suffer:(( I cannot truly ever understand how peeps can lock dogs or any living being or animals in cars with no windows open or water ...it breaks my heart truly..truly..it does :(( .....So lets hope we never hear of any!! ...powers and blessings be xx

• Something struck me whilst reading this thread UKH must like the female form rather than the male form. marshlander only got 1 groovy for removing clothes whilst MrsP removed clothing and received 4 groovies :o

• Something struck me whilst reading this thread UKH must like the female form rather than the male form. marshlander only got 1 groovy for removing clothes whilst MrsP removed clothing and received 4 groovies :o

It was ever thus.

Anyhoo, in typical Manx summer weather, we only got two hours of heat and the rest of the day was thunderstorms.

My pants are back on.

• It was ever thus.

Anyhoo, in typical Manx summer weather, we only got two hours of heat and the rest of the day was thunderstorms.

My pants are back on.

Bit too hot here yesterday but rained during the night so was near perfect day.