Cladding LDV ceiling - roof supports

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Evenin' all

Any LDV convoy (or similar) folks out there know if the roof supports on the inside of the van are essential as ive seen other convoys with tounge and groove cladded roofs, which must have had these taken off. If you do need them how does one pop a nice wooden roof in?

Ive already done the sides, but the supports are now in the way.

any ideas would be great :)

hope your all well :hippy:

• They are there to hold your roof in place,so maybe best that you keep them there and board onto them. If you do not,you may have the added feature of being to star gaze in a storm!! I would always recommend that when doing any wooden covering such as tongue and groove that you put in support underneath it so that there is room for both insulation and air flow. If you are boarding straight to the side of the vehicle or the roof,the wood will rot much quicker because of the trapped moisture. The angle of the struts mean that you can not ft a large sheet of ply over them,but you should be fine with tongue and groove.

Bonne courage

fly xx

• thanks that was what I was thinking, was just trying to visualise how others were doing it.

The supports are hefty chunks of metal so will be difficult to drill into, but ill give it a bash

• I'd leave any reinforcing ribs where they are if I were you, they're there for a purpose! Probably to sop the roof caving in in a roll over, as I don't think they're actually attached to the roof panel. Have a look at my thread "ldv convoy camper conversion", there's some images there of insulation and a ply ceiling. 3mm ply is flexible enough to follow the fairly flat profile of a convoy roof so long as the grain goes lengthwise. I fixed the ply straight to the rib using small self tapping screws, they have a square recess to take a square driver bit that comes with them. I was told when I bought them that they were specially designed for ply lining vans, but that may just have been sales talk.

• I drilled in to the metal on the roof on my LDV conversion. It's not actually that tough to get through. Just be prepared to get through a few (a lot) of drill bits.

• I managed to drill the strut without a problem,though I shall be honest and say that I also drilled into the roof twice,but a dab of mastic sorted that out.
    The struts-ribs in my convoy are definately attached to the roof. I just looked as Co-incidently I have just taken one of the roof sheets down,as have ordered a skylight that will hopefully turn up tomorrow and then I shall fit it straight away.

yes indeed,small metal self tapping screws will do the job nicely. Please dont take this the wrong way,as I am sure that you will know anyway,but make sure the drill bit is not bigger than the screw size. Also buy quality bits :thumbup:

• In this [video]

[/media] the owner has screwed thin wooden batons to the roof ribs, and then screwed ply or hardboard to the batons, as can be seen in the first few photos. This allows a sturdy fixing with plenty of room for insulation. It has to be the best way to go. No reason why you can't screw tongue and groove to the batons. The roof ribs are important structural braces for the whole body of the van, please don't remove them.