Looking to escape

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hey guys

I wanted your advice.

I live in rented accommodation in Hertfordshire which I'm not very fond of.
    I started my own business a few years back after I kept getting made redundant from companies and wanted a bit of control. Unfortunately things with the business aren't going as well as I had hoped and I am having to claim Housing Benefit to make my rent up.

I struggle day to day to live somewhere where I don't want to be.
    I'd love to just escape by the sea and recently I've been thinking about just saving up for a camper and going for it. Travel round Cornwall for a bit, staying at different camp sites etc.
    I'd still want to run the business for an income which could be a bit tricky.
    Also, it all seems very romantic and dreamy during the Summer months but I worry what it will be like during the winter?

Could anyone give me any advice? Has anyone done anything similar and has it worked out?

Peace out

• staying at different camp sites etc..........you could save even more by free-parking.........

what it will be like during the winter.............no problem................

Having a good search around on the threads, new and old, will give you all you need. There is a vast wealth of info on here delivered by some seriously experienced ppl. Good hunting, good luck. My personal opinion is this: do it. You will never regret it, what's the worst that can happen, you'll go right back to 'normal' and start again. Nobody dies! Go for it.

• If you're going to be moving around you'll have to consider how you're going to make your business work. Can it be net-based, so you can work from anywhere? If not perhaps finding casual labour jobs locally would keep the wolf from your door.

Don't worry about the weather, humans are remarkably adaptable.

• 1. Buy truck/van/large car
    2. invest in a decent sleeping bag and a cushion
    3. Give keys back laughing maniacaly
    4. Go wherever you want
    5. Keep a bucket just in case
    6. WIN

• Hey
    Thanks for all the advice.

I run an online business selling fashion and accessories etc.
    I guess I could still run it online as long as I had WiFi.

The problem would be getting stock delivered etc.

• Hey
    Thanks for all the advice.

I run an online business selling fashion and accessories etc.
    I guess I could still run it online as long as I had WiFi.

The problem would be getting stock delivered etc.

would drop shipping not be an option?

• [quote='TYROS720','http://ukhippy.com/freakpower/forum/index.php?thread/&postID=1412876#post1412876']1. Buy truck/van/large car
    2. invest in a decent sleeping bag and a cushion
    3. Give keys back laughing maniacaly
    4. Go wherever you want
    5. Keep a bucket just in case
    6. WIN

Hi Danjames and welcome
    YOU FORGOT THE WET WIPES TYROS! LOL

• Hi,
    I am always escaping, and solo, tried malta spain x3 London (did 20 years there) always end up back and planning next escape,

life is an adventure, want to build a log cabin but soon as summer comes I get itchy feet to be off somewhere:D

• I'm doing it now. Travelling with a touring caravan wherever the wind takes me (well along the coast). As for deliveries, you can always arrange for couriers to deliver to campsites, if they have your number they will ring so you can stand by to pick up at the gates. Campsites usually allow you to have mail delivered addressed to you C/O if you're staying a while too. As for internet access I get by quite happily with my three PAYG dongle.

Yesterdays gone, tomorrows a mystery, today's a gift, that's why its called the present.

• Running a mail order business on the road is doable, returns are somewhat problematic though.

My best friend used to run a music stand business from a log cabin in the mountains of Washington state, they drop shipped direct from the manufacter, and she did the sales. This was pre Internet and it was done with a mega expensive satellite phone. With mobile Internet it would be 100 times easier and 100 times less expensive.

This got neatly around the stock and returns issue.

Mail and parcels can be sent Poste Restante to any main post office anywhere in the world or if courier companies are used you can pick it up from their depots.

There is also Boatmail. Which a few nomads seem to swear by because it looks like a normal address.

• I think the simple answer is if youre not happy where you are and what youre doing,do something positive about it, dont stay where you are, doing what youre doing, simply because its all you know...life passes by awful quick. If youve no dependents or commitments ,just do it.

Living in most of the UK is do-able in winter but much easier in the south and south west obviously and near the coast its generally going to be less cold and snowy,if you find somewhere sheltered from the winter stroms.
    Most of the UK has small caravan sites you can strike up over-wintering deals with if you want a base with some basic facilities for the cold months,I do via the camping and caravaning club. Some residential sites do too if you ring and ask.
    But its just as easy to free camp and maybe make some handy arrangements with friends if you need to stop for longer periods for repairs or need a postal address for official reasons or use boatmail.
    As for your business income if youre struggling with it now just to make ends meet then maybe you need to consider is the business really worth it? or if can you use alternative methods buying stock and selling at boot sales markets etc as you travel round and/or as has already been suggested use dropshipping suppliers then you only need to do the selling and customer liason online,the rest is down to the dropshipper.
    Or find a different way of earning? or a differnt online business that doesnt need stock like web design or whatever? something else youre good at... If you don't have household expenses its generally cheaper to live a mobile life so a substantial regular income is not so critical. You can usually find temp work anywhere.
    Ive been living in my caravan for 8 years and I dont have the luxury of a house or family to fall back on and although I have some medical injury income its not much so I earn money online (not buying a selling though) and occasionally I work on farms.
    I have a long range wifi adapter for picking up any free wifi hotspots, Ive got PAYG 3g on 3 which costs me £15 a month for limitless data and most of the time Ive got some way of staying on the internet.More difficult in remote areas like Scotland where I spend a lot of time and Ive been considering a portable satellite broadband but its not really been a major issue... if your busines is an online one there are ways to solve the connection issues reasonably cheaply and effectively is all Im saying.
    I havent yet encountered any situation living a mobile life that I can't cope with.Even over the winter when its been -10C Ive managed ok so I wouldnt worry too much about the weather -you have to deal with that wherever you are.

Its really more about being personally prepared to change and being adaptable and finding alternative solutions to living a different way...you don't have to live in a rented prison paying all you earn into something that gives you no enjoyment...If youre apprehensive at first then do what many do and buy the van and go away for a few weeks at a time and get the feel for it but personally I dont think you'll want to stay where you are once you discover theres a better way of living .... good luck!

• Winters perfectly do able although damp is a bitch I've been down to -22 I'm alone in a 7 seat truck, I used to live in a mondeo estate with my cousin while working, I temp to make the money and travel all over I've never paid for overnight parking, I've got a kettle and a hob and my guitar, life is pretty damm good a word of caution though the freedom is addictive.
    If your not enjoying life start a new one today as they say tomorrow never comes