Mini Greenhouses.

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Been pottering around with mini greenhouses, basically a cut down pop bottle. I've been using large bottles, cut the top off a few inches down usually were it starts to straighten then the same at the bottom. Fill the bottom with soil and seed then put the top of the bottle onto it, squeeze it a bit and the top goes inside the bottom. They self water when they start to grow but just undo the top to water, depending what you've planted you can either plant out or leave in the bottom. When you cut the bottle your left with a sleeve of plastic, don't throw them away they make excellent collars to put round your plants to stop slugs and such easily getting to them. So far I've tried coriander, chives, rocket, basil and started some radish in them.

• I have some black tubing that I used for holding fishing rods in and been trying to think of how to use it, I'll have a foldaway table in my van and may use a length for that and maybe use some for leeks but any ideas greatly welcomed.

• I have some black tubing that I used for holding fishing rods in and been trying to think of how to use it, I'll have a foldaway table in my van and may use a length for that and maybe use some for leeks but any ideas greatly welcomed.

When you have your van parked alongside a Lake/Canal/River/Shore you will wish you had a Black plastic tube filled with an assortment of rods on your roof!

• I still have my rods and poles but going to downsize everything, probably keep a rod and pole to keep in the van. I'm thinking some velcro strips on the inside wall/roof join should work. Plus with downsizing I get some extra money for the van.

• I tried to find a pic of my friends allotment to show you her idea for a bird-scarer and for some reason I don't think I've ever taken any! Oh well, anyhoo, I went on-line to find a pic of what I wanted to show you and I discovered that there are millions (well, quite a lot) of pics of things to do with plastic bottles. I didn't see any mini-greenhouses so big ups to you Clayman.

Bird scarer-8x6.jpg

These spin in the lightest breeze and also rattle around giving extra 'scare-factor'!

• I'm aiming for a pop bottle greenhouse (full size) when I finally get the allotment, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a couple of big water cooler bottles and try them out. I know you can buy propagators for pennies but nice to recycle stuff now and again.

• Good idea on the birds have to try it, the birds have never bothered with anything before but this year demolished all my beetroot seedlings, never grown them before so maybe they have an addiction for them. Grown some more but there under close protection.

• I'm aiming for a pop bottle greenhouse (full size) when I finally get the allotment, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a couple of big water cooler bottles and try them out. I know you can buy propagators for pennies but nice to recycle stuff now and again.

If you get enough plastic bottles you can fill them with dry sand and use them as 'bricks' which will get you a shed for next-to-nothing as well! There is some stuff relating to bottle-bricks on this site but tons of info on the tinterweb if you search. they don't need mortar like bricks so you can dismantle and move/re-size as necessary.

• Where do you get these bottles from? :hippy:

For the plastic ones you have to consume dozens of bottles of pop a day.............lol..........seriously though, skip-rat, asking friends/neighbours to save, plastic recycle places, bottle-bank raiding, (I did that frequently when I was home-brewing), glass recycling places etc.............

If you're of a mind you can buy empty new ones from trade/manufacturer.