Filling station LPG adapter - any good?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Has anyone tried these adapters to allow your propane gas bottle to be filled at filling station LPG pumps?

gas adaptor.JPG

The device costs about £38 but it seems to me that to fill my little 3.9kg bottle costs about £8 at the LPG pump, or £16 at Calor Gas stockists. Therefore after about five fills you are in profit, so those who live in vans, use gas-greedy fridges or use a lot of gas for heating are going to be in profit pretty quickly.

It is also easier if you run out suddenly on a cold night to find a filling station than a gas stockist who has your size and make of bottle available.

Of course, filling my dinky 3.9kg bottle is less economical than those with the bigger types, but if you can get cheap gas almost anywhere at any time you needn't cart so much of it around with you, saving fuel and space.

I'm wondering if you've had experience of this type of device.

Thank you,

Dave.

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is meant to be serious.

• Thank you Pykey, will try to find that.

Thank you Dots. I'm not yet sure what the 80% limit is but hopefully it'll be explained in the previous thread. I absolutely agree with you about legalities where the law has no business interfering. Since they took away our right to bear arms they've encroached so far into our liberty that I now always put my hand up before going for a wee, just to check Whitehall and Brussels are ok with it.

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is meant to be serious.

• Can you fill orange and blue bottles? I don't know the difference between them and LPG!

Yes Widget, you have an empty orange or blue bottle, screw that adapter in and go to the filling station forecourt pump that dispenses LPG for LPG vehicles. You connect up the pump nozzle to the tank and start pumping as normal, then stop when the tank is 80% full. As far as I can see the cost of LPG is 75p per litre, and there are two litres to a kg. So a 3.9kg bottle costs £4.68 to fill up the prescribed 80% of the way. My local petrol station charges £15 for an orange (propane) bottle exchange refill (the ones in the padlocked cage), so you save around £10 each fill. It therefore costs approx. 30% to fill using this device, and in four fills you've paid for it, if my maths is right. The 3.9kg bottle is the one a bit bigger than a football, about 15" tall.

• Yes Widget, you have an empty orange or blue bottle, screw that adapter in and go to the filling station forecourt pump that dispenses LPG for LPG vehicles. You connect up the pump nozzle to the tank and start pumping as normal, then stop when the tank is 80% full. As far as I can see the cost of LPG is 75p per litre, and there are two litres to a kg. So a 3.9kg bottle costs £4.68 to fill up the prescribed 80% of the way. My local petrol station charges £15 for an orange (propane) bottle exchange refill (the ones in the padlocked cage), so you save around £10 each fill. It therefore costs approx. 30% to fill using this device, and in four fills you've paid for it, if my maths is right. The 3.9kg bottle is the one a bit bigger than a football, about 15" tall.

Very good, but I'm not paying 75p a litre for LPG, currently it's 61p in one of the stations I use and 60p in the other. I smile every time I fill the car, which is about once every ten days and I hand over twenty quid.

• Very good, but I'm not paying 75p a litre for LPG, currently it's 61p in one of the stations I use and 60p in the other. I smile every time I fill the car, which is about once every ten days and I hand over twenty quid.

Oh my giddy aunt Jane, that is extraordinary Julian! That must be driving the Whitehall suits potty.

Back in the 1970s when I passed my test and bought a catastrophically unreliable Bedford Beagle van I was paying 76p per gallon for petrol, and meanwhile diesel was only 26p. Some eagle-eyed Whitehall suit watched the innovative French Peugeot diesel cars that were just starting to arrive in large numbers and decided to make a name for himself by advising a minister to press for diesel fuel tax to be brought in line with that of petrol. Rapidly at each budget the cost of diesel escalated, infuriating our poor trucking firms and all the other diesel users.
    Nowadays diesel is often dearer than petrol, and despite a few rather half-hearted strikes nobody has really stopped chancellors from whacking up the cost of diesel as they please.
    Let's just hope Whitehall are too busy trying to find a way to tax fresh air to start nosing around in the LPG scene.
    And to think we vote for these people, whichever side they represent.

• i don't know about the legalities... but i drive a lpg car and when i fill up... i have noticed signs stating the filling up of portable bottles is not allowed....also ( because the tanks are pressurised ) i think the pump automatically stops when the tank is at 80%...maybe if you fabricated some sort of pipe ( so that the connector in question could be fitted to the outside of the vehicle )...then the staff at the fuel station wouldn't know that you are filling up a bottle:whistle:

• gas weighs .5 kg per ltr so if you have like me a 13kg cylinder you can safely put in 26ltr of lpg from empty.your 3.9 kg takes 7.8 ltrs the pump will NOT switch off at 80% mark like on car tank because they have a float valve. If you do get one i would get the full brass versions as they cant cause a spark.

• Personally, I'd be worried about my liability if doing something like this caused an accident. I don't think the wife would be happy if we lost our house as a consequence of deliberately ignoring the warning notices at filling stations. I believe the 80% guideline is to allow some expansion room for the LPG in the bottle, so avoiding possible catastrophic failure of the cylinder, but it may also be to do with the surface area of the LPG to air within the bottle, which narrows at the top.

Also, I'd be concerned about the pressure a petrol station dispenses at and the pressure a bottle is designed to receive. I do know someone who fills bottles from a taxi companies LPG bulk tank, and they are cheap, but that is hand pumped and the bottles weighed. I suspect, but could well be wrong, that a car's LPG tank is designed for a specific pressure and the automatic pump dispenses up to a % of that pressure. Maybe someone knows more about that though?

• Totally agree with PDCambs on that.

If you do screw-up,you could be risking peoples lives. make sure you get it right or pay the extra. life and health verses money,no contest !

I have always been a bit nervous around gas and often when I stop to get lpg in the van,I tell the forecourt attendant that I have never filled up before and could they do it for me so that I can see.

I once left my first van (leyland sherpa) for a few weeks and when I got back the bottle had leaked and emptied out into the vehicle. Thank goodness that I didnt have a cigarette in my hand. I have been nervous of gas ever since.

Do be careful Dave,I woud prefer to send you a few quid to pay the extra than think of you risking your life to save a few pennies. The world needs us good guys :D

• I'm sure it's possible to tap off your LPG tank to run a cooker. That way everything runs from one tank and all the other problems are avoided.

Indeed,my ldv has got a connection running up into the van for if I need it,though I have boarded it up behind the wall. I thought that it was best to keep it though,as options are always good.And economically it make more sense than buying gas bottles.

• Thank you Fly!!!

Your kindness is always warmly appreciated and the feeling reciprocated.

Have you ever read The Darwin Awards? I really must stop trying to get one. http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/

Perhaps if the filling stations and fuel companies produce a British Standard type of connection for filling, and it becomes an accepted way of filling the gas bottle, then I'll give it some more thought. That vision of gas squirting all over the place and a spark igniting it just puts me off completely. I have no right to risk the well-being of innocent people.
    There must be reasons why it isn't a popular thing, and why Calor Gas and others have such complex apparatus for filling gas bottles.
    Thank you everyone.

• I'm sure it's possible to tap off your LPG tank to run a cooker. That way everything runs from one tank and all the other problems are avoided.

An LPG engine conversion uses a pipe at the bottom of the tank to take off liquid.
    Cookers and other burners use a pipe at the top of the bottle to take off gas.

It is possible to use a tank with two pipes, one for the engine and one for cooking. But it is not possible to use a single take off point and fit a Tee piece splitter.

And I wouldn't fancy welding the extra pipe onto a tank.
    (Unless I knew it was brand new and had never held gas, AND I had access to a pressure tester)

AFAIK the Gaslow people do LPG conversions with a top pipe if required for camper conversions.

:beard: