Am i scared? A little. Am i excited? Very

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Thanks for the kind words. Still trying to get stuff sorted. Had a bit of bother getting funds back from the man for the van however i will find out on wednesday if the money clears in bank.
    If it does then great even if it is just half of what ive given him. If it doesnt then just need to work hard again.
    I suppose im no different to anyone else in life - we all get the tough times. But i dare say there are a few of us who are sick fed up falling off the horse and dusting ourselves off only to repeat the cycle all over again... I know i am.

• Thanks for the kind words. Still trying to get stuff sorted. Had a bit of bother getting funds back from the man for the van however i will find out on wednesday if the money clears in bank.
    If it does then great even if it is just half of what ive given him. If it doesnt then just need to work hard again.
    I suppose im no different to anyone else in life - we all get the tough times. But i dare say there are a few of us who are sick fed up falling off the horse and dusting ourselves off only to repeat the cycle all over again... I know i am.

Right now I would like to give you a very big hug and yes, I know exactly what you mean. x

• Glad to here u got ur cash back.
    Time to get your big girl pants on n get on with it, no point sitting greeting about it.
    As for falling of the horse, isnt that how life works? Just stings a bit when u land n the horse kicks but you pick yourself up n get on with it. Whats the other choice? Give up n go greet to jeremy kyle?

• Cash ( or should i say cheque) hasnt cleared yet so no celebration till the lady sings.
    Hey do you get paid for appearing on the Jeremy Kyle show? Might tneed to recuperate my losses somewhere!
    As for choices... ive now resigned myself to a much quieter, safe and risk free activity.
    Im making UKHIPPY CROCHETED Steering wheel covers :rolleyes:

• Well the cheque bounced. ( actually through no fault of the garage by the looks of it) However the garage are now saying they are planning to pay me back through bank transfer - yeah when?? it takes seconds to do a bank tranfer and the people who sold me the van have had over 3 hours now to do a bank transfer - Im not going to see that money again.
    So i just have to right it off.
    Van cost me 1900
    paying people for work done on it
    and running me up and down the countryside
    has now totalled the van up to a staggering £3000 - and i have no van to fecking show for it
    I have been really trying to stay positive but this has floored me
    Im shutting my curtains and im not coming out for months LOL

• it takes seconds to do a bank tranfer and the people who sold me the van have had over 3 hours now to do a bank transfer - Im not going to see that money again.

Hi Treestump

Of course you might be right, but don't burn any bridges just yet, could be they will still come good for you, might be they just aint had the chance to get to the bank yet.

Fingers crossed for you here at least.

Oh, and the wife says, when you've put this all behind you and you do start your journey, come and visit us on your way south (off the A14 between Huntingdon and Cambridge) and if you like I'll take you to meet my bees on the farm .... might be some inspiration for some art work, you ever know.

So stay positive, I promise you'll get over this and things will improve ..... keep the faith and don't forget your dreams.

Peter & Angela

• That's fantastic news, now don't go buying the first thing you see, be practical and level headed.

Do you know any mechanics who can look over a prospective van for you? ... or does anybody here know for a van that's both reasonably priced and a good runner.

I'm probably selling my high-top medium wheel base Renault Master later in the year, but although it would be cheap, it's probably not up to an epic journey unless someone is happy to do running repairs, including an engine change at some point. You'd also need a sympathetic MOT'er, as there's some play in the steering too; basically I'd not want to sell her to a friend, it's another buyer beware job I'm afraid. (I will be honest though, I'm not offloading it onto someone who isn't savvy)

Anyone here thinking of upgrading maybe?

• Good luck Tree, as others have said above, dont jump into anything quickly. Take your time and try and get a feel for those selling the van. The van dealer where I got my van actively wanted to know all about my conversion, even since after he has sold me the van and doesn't have to work for a sale. Iv bought a few classic cars and kit cars over the years and have learnt from experience, if the seller doesn't feel like the type of person Id want to buy from then I walk, there are always more out there, even when dealing in kit cars that may have only been produced in the hundreds or less.

• Agree with Trap, get a feeling of the seller. I looked at a couple of vans and asked the seller if I could pay with my debit card, first of he said yes then few minutes later it was I could pay half with the card the oher half with cash. In the end I said I'd get back to him but never did, he was after fiddling the tax man which didn't bother me but his honesty value dropped with me.

• Yeah i wont be buying a van for a long time....
    The money i got back for it... has been eaten up with paying mechanics, friends driving me around and paying my brothers deposit and months rent on a new place since he wont be taking on my place.
    So yeah van is held off for a while. :rolleyes:
    One good thing though - Ive given up the fags ( been 10 days now)
    Actually its not a good thing for those around me
    as ive been a complete nightmare for everyone. :reddevil: Im hoping the mood passes

Pyke think i will pass on your ldv - however if you hear of any other vans going that you think might be good then jot them down and fire me off an email and i will make a mental note not to go near them lol:D

Ahh you gotta laugh i will get there because im determined. I mean how hard can it be to make yourself homeless and take off to live in a van pmsl :D :rofl:

• You may get some luck you never know, only reason I got my van was a letter out of the blue from Scottish Widows saying they'd messed my pension up and owed me some money. So in the meantime keep on looking, keep on planning so when it falls into place you'll be ready and don't forget the brown sauce ;)

• I joined the sbmcc when I started my conversion, but it cost around 19 quid I think, and tbh I found the advice freely given on this site to b just s helpful. Rather more relevant too, as the sbmcc gang seem to work to higher budgets than us scruffy lot of drop outs.

• I joined the sbmcc when I started my conversion, but it cost around 19 quid I think, and tbh I found the advice freely given on this site to b just s helpful. Rather more relevant too, as the sbmcc gang seem to work to higher budgets than us scruffy lot of drop outs.

Be interesting for picking up tips and that but yes when I saw £5,000 mentioned kind of made my eyes open, specially when they were talking about paying 3 times what I paid for my van (admittedly only a small van) I drew my breath a bit.

What I've found at this moment in time drawing in the ideas on here is I have too many ideas going round my head.