dandelion wine

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I recently tried my hand at making this, it is now supposed to be at the stage for transferring to the demijohn, but the liquid is rather oily/syrupy, does anyone know if this is still ok to use or shall it just pour it down the grid?? :rolleyes:

• Hi Clayman, it is more oily than syrupy tbh it looks normal but if you put a cup in and pour the liquid back in it is silent, ya know? no watery sounds lol.

• This info may help you wurzel.

Oiliness or Ropiness: The wine develops an oily look with rope- like treads or strings appearing within it. It pours slowly and thickly with a consistency similar to egg whites, but neither its smell nor taste are effected. The culprit is a lactic acid bacterium and is only fatal to the wine if left untreated. Pour the wine into an open container with greater volume than required. Use an egg whip to beat the wine into a frothiness. Add two crushed Campden tablets per gallon of wine and stir these in with the egg whip. Cover with a sterile cloth and stir the wine every hour or so for about four hours. Return it to a sterile secondary and fit the airlock. After two days, run the wine through a wine filter and return it to another sterile secondary. Again, this problem, like most, can be prevented by pre- treating the must with Campden and sterilizing your equipment scrupulously.

Source: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/problems.asp

• Acht! that sounds like it don't it. I always sterilise everything but this time as the bucket was brand new I just swilled it with very hot water.
    Thanks Bob. :thumbup:

• I just looked up them Campden Tabs' and got this...

Campden tablets (potassium or sodium metabisulfite) are a sulfur-based product that is used primarily in wine, cider and beer making to kill bacteria and to inhibit the growth of most wild yeast

.... but the whole idea of the way I made it was to use the natural yeast in the flower heads. :rolleyes:

• I suppose the alcohol content, when it reaches a high enough level, would kill off any un-wanted bacteria. but the off side is (or may be) side effects like oily wine.
    Not had a huge amount of homebrew wine experience myself, except when I tried to make blackberry and elderberry port.
    I used to do beer and still do cider. but I never used campden tabs either.

• Dunno, you could keep it and then never use it, or chuck it and free up space for another batch.
    My cider, last year was way too dry, but i still found a use for it as vinegar/ cooking cider.