BLACKOUT!!!!!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I am looking to create some effective way of blacking out the windows on my berlingo when I park somewhere for a spot of stealthing. I don't want window tint & wonder if anyone has any tips & guidance on how I can use some type of thick black 'blackout' material which wouldn't draw attention yet stop any & all light spilling out.

Thanks in advance.

Yesterdays gone, tomorrows a mystery, today's a gift, that's why its called the present.

• I've used thick cardboard cut to the shape of the windows. I used spray adhesive to stick black material on each side. If you cut it accurately you can wedge it in place. This works in my car (Corsa) for the side windows and rear window but not for the windscreen, it's too big. I've just been securing a blanket as best I can using string neodymium magnets.

• That's a great idea! Thank you! For interior illumination I have a solar powered PIR security light. As well as motion detection it can be set to stay on then switched off at bed time. It's more than adequate for this purpose & obviously doesn't drain the vehicle battery.

For the windscreen I had thought about one of those reflective windscreen panels behind which could be positioned the actual blackout stuff. In my opinion such a combination wouldn't draw attention.

Yesterdays gone, tomorrows a mystery, today's a gift, that's why its called the present.

• If you can get some of those cheap camping mats, the ones with the silver reflective on one side. Cut to size of windows, allowing a few mm over size. Paint or spray black the opposite side to the reflective side. Being oversize you squeeze them into the window frame and they stay there. If you want to attach suckers to them, buy some Christmas decoration suckers. From the pound shop. About ten in a packet. Reflect heat back into vehicle. Or swap windows and turn them round to reflect the sun heat on campsites in summer. The camp mats turn up at carboots often, but only cost a few quid each from camping shops.

• For lighting I have the little battery powered push on push off lights, they're adequate for reading. I don't like using the car battery when parked up at all. In good weather the reflective panel would be fine, I think it might draw attention on a cold wet night though.

• Check out post 22 in this thread about my old Berlingo.

Basically, I stuck velcro around the windows, but used Gorilla glue because the standard stuff didn't hold.

I used double thickness material, sewed velcro into the angles and the rest is as you see it...

Took me quite a while to complete 'cos there were a lot of windows and I sewed most of it by hand - but when it was done it was almost completely light-sealed and just looked like tinted glass.

• That is just the sort of look I'm after & yes, it really does look like tinted glass. It wouldn't raise any eyebrows. The berlingo is a great little van for this sort of thing & surprisingly spacious inside. Mine isn't kitted out or anything as I am currently living in my touring caravan.