Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Anyone plant on a full moon, I planted some potatoes a bit back and read beforehand about planting on a full moon. Anyway up to now they've grown like wild fire, not dug them up yet but signs so far are looking good. So was wondering if other people plant on a full moon and what results have you had.

• Lol...the only planting I've done recently is some raspberries into pots and potatoes in some tires out in the garden at Book Cycle.........lol

• I never tried it, but talking to an old gardener, he swore by the results, he reckoned that he got better germination , heavier cropping and more disease resistance. Would be nice if you had time to conduct a trail and planted some spuds at another time, then posted the results here. :carrot::carrot::carrot::broc::broc::broc:

• Your right I should have planted the same variety but on different days, the allotment should be in my hands soon so think I'll do two rows of something but just plant one row on a full moon.

• Lol...the only planting I've done recently is some raspberries into pots and potatoes in some tires out in the garden at Book Cycle.........lol

No idea what's at the back of Orrell book cycle, there's a decent size plot. I know they sometimes have something going on in the bank holidays maybe they use it for stalls, usually work bank holidays so wouldn't know. I've gone with blueberries the last couple of years.

• Your right I should have planted the same variety but on different days, the allotment should be in my hands soon so think I'll do two rows of something but just plant one row on a full moon.

lot's of websites dealing with planting at different phases of the moon, as I 've said, I've never tried it, but I would be interested in knowing how well you get on:thumbup:

• Bit of an update, potato plants or as I call them the triffids have now reached over my waist. Grown potatoes a few times but they've never grown like this, all I'm hopefull of is it isn't a bad crop. Few years back I grew some and got less potatoes in the crop than I planted, to this day no idea what happened, healthy plants, no sign of anything eating the crop just one for the twilight zone.

• In your poor spud crop year, was it the same variety as you usually grow, or something different?

Why I ask is that we try a different variety now and then, and sometimes the yield from these has been very poor - the local soil and growing conditions were obviously unsuitable. In the same years, our usual varieties, Cara and Desiree, have done as well as always.
    Rainfall plays a big part too, if it comes at the right time you can get a bumper crop, if it is sparse so is your crop of potatoes. All this without even going into manures and composts etc.

• No idea what happened that year, I usually buy them from an expensive garden centre but worth it but one year I didn't and it may have been that year. I grow them in planters, the ring ones you build up but this year went for bags. Only thing I can think of apart from the full moon that I've done different is I had some seed compost leftover, didn't want to waste it so put that in with some veg compost when I planted them this year.

• I've never experimented with the moon sowing, so couldn't say whether it might have any significant effect or not.
    I have read about using the moon's phases and other astrological data for sowing, many years ago, when looking through some of the bio-dynamic ideas of Rudolph Steiner. They have some interesting ideas, some look a bit far out, but worth trying.

One year my missus, who doesn't like to waste anything, had put some perennial weeds like nettles, twitch (couch) grass, and bindweed, dug up to clear some ground, into a large barrel of water to drown. For about all of one winter.

When we came to planting spuds in the spring, we ran out of home-made compost for the last two rows. She remembered this barrel, and in it was the foulest-smelling dark, jelly-like liquid that I have ever come across. Being totally anaerobic, it stank to high heaven. (Several neighbours, seated in a garden some distance away, but downwind, called loudly upon the name of the christian lord). Gagging, I tipped it into the potato trenches. I was glad to cover it up.

The potatoes in those two trenches grew quicker and bigger than the others that had compost, and they easily had the largest crop per row when it came to lifting them. I don't know if the bio-dynamic people do this, but it certainly worked for us!

• not to sure how much faith i put in that site as it claims that aberdeen n london have the full moon at the same time. Dont know how it works with the moon but im assuming its like the sun set n rise times n varies depending how far north you are

That was a site I found as an example, looking back at the app I go of it was 17:18. Saying that though you'd have to be pretty hardcore to stand there with a spud in your hand waiting for it to strike the exact second ;)

• Liquid fertilizer, alot of old gardeners swear by it, have their own recipes. Comfrey is one of the main ones along with nettles that you used, you can do what you did just throw in a barrel of water or actually buy one made for this purpose which think is a barrel with a padle in that you mix round now and again, saw one advertised a year or two ago but can't think where.

• May interest some.

http://www.the-gardeners-calendar.co.uk/moon_planting.asp

Seems that Rudolph Steiner was into using the zodiac signs, according to his thinking you should be planting fruiting species but it's a bad time for leaf species. Can't wait for my allotment to come through, think i'll split the plot into quarter's and go with the synodic, biodynamic and sidereal methods and have a quarter just plant off hand and see what the results are like.

• Clayman, that would do my head in!
    Planting certain sorts of stuff today then tomorrow you can't, but you can plant something totally different!
    Having to look in a fugging almanac before you could plant or sow something!
    Resign yourself to not growing something if you miss the particular day!
    Aarrrgh!
    Sounds totally OCD to me!

• Clayman, that would do my head in!
    Planting certain sorts of stuff today then tomorrow you can't, but you can plant something totally different!
    Having to look in a fugging almanac before you could plant or sow something!
    Resign yourself to not growing something if you miss the particular day!
    Aarrrgh!
    Sounds totally OCD to me!

True, I'm thinking when I finally get my hands on my allotment of splitting it into 4, using those methods in 3 of them planting the same crops in each and the fourth just planting whenever and see what happens.

• An interesting experiment, but a lot of work. Sooner you than me, mate!
    Did the Henry Doubleday Research Association ever do any research on this sort of thing? I shall have to try and find out, and if so, what were the results?

• When I finally get the allotment I intend on spending alot of time there to get away from people in my life, one of the reasons I got the van. When there both up and running i'll be either at work, van or allotment.

• Pulled up the salad potatoes this afternoon, good crop probably the same as usual but needs looking into more once the hands are on an allotment. Probably next week or the week ater the chipping variety will be harvested.

• nice one Clayman, :thumbup: i was wondering how you were getting on, dug a couple at work the other day, they were looking good as well, good size no disease. Are you full time in your van ?

• nice one Clayman, :thumbup: i was wondering how you were getting on, dug a couple at work the other day, they were looking good as well, good size no disease. Are you full time in your van ?

No, it's something I'd love to do. Not got my van done yet, going to do a write up probably next week, only a small van (Fiat Scudo) that I want to use as a get away for say a year or so then move to a bigger van. The full moon and other planting by the stars and such plus the van have given me a new lease of life, been happier the last few weeks.

Glad you got a good crop, one thing I notice with home grown is the skin is paper thin, I couldn't have peeled them if I'd wanted oh and they taste way better than anything shop bought. Anyone can grow them even if someone living in a flat could grow say four plants easily on the balcony.

• yeah I agree, home grown is so much better, great taste and the skin is like tissue paper, just rubs off between finger and thumb, I never bother removing it though, when I cook them, I put a bit of mint in, (just like my old gran used to ) then when there drained a little bit of butter or marg to melt over, soooo nice. yup I agree, anyone can grow them.