Living in a car

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• It wasn't that bad we grew up sharing a room so we get on but the mondeo was a pain. We discovered that in a car although the seats went down nearly all the way we still got circulation trouble because our feet were lower in the footwell and one bleeder reported me having a snooze as a body in the car which the plod found hilarious. Quick tip get wind deflectors on your windows that way you can crack one without the rain getting in and people are less able to see its open

• I really need to wait until the house sells first. At that point I'll have approx. £6000 to play with plus the value of the car, about £3000 which I'd like to keep to live from.

My first motorhome was a 19yr old 4 berth Merc (but reasonably functional) which cost me £2000 (and v. little maintenance) and after 2 years of NOT paying dead money in to the system and saving it up I could afford my next bigger/newer/better motorhome and since then I've done the same again and now i'm laughing. YOUR turn!

• My first motorhome was a 19yr old 4 berth Merc (but reasonably functional) which cost me £2000 (and v. little maintenance) and after 2 years of NOT paying dead money in to the system and saving it up I could afford my next bigger/newer/better motorhome and since then I've done the same again and now i'm laughing. YOUR turn!

Challenge accepted.

• There must be room for a gas stove in the new van? It would kill me waiting that long on a cuppa.

The problem with gas is its a massive producer of humidity and by extension condensation I used to have an info graphic showing how many litres of moisture a human and a cooker put out to put it into perspective buy my phones not behaving

• Sorry to hear about your woes, it's good that you're moving on, glad to hear that. Why are you considering going full time as opposed to living in a house? For me it's the yearning to answer to no-one and to do my own thing.

A few reasons, after roughing it for 4 months last year I absolutely loved it and realised it has always been something I wanted to do, just being self sufficient and doing my own thing. Far cheaper than paying crazy high rent, living in nature and feeling more in control of life.

• A few reasons, after roughing it for 4 months last year I absolutely loved it and realised it has always been something I wanted to do, just being self sufficient and doing my own thing. Far cheaper than paying crazy high rent, living in nature and feeling more in control of life.

All good reasons. I've just noticed that this thread has had over 1000 views, maybe it's a more common thought than many will admit?

• Ollie's tale is the route I'm on ... I am currently saving furiously to get a van or a boat now, the money I'm gonna save on the alternatives will soon have me into something a bit more comfortable and lush. Have you seen the price of just renting a shitty wee room in a house these days? That would soon add up to a nice sum, and you're not following someone else's house- rules. Apart from my car and my teddy-bear, nothing has been constant in my life for the last 2-3yrs. It's been fun travelling anywhere and everywhere, often just to find somewhere to sleep for a while, but I realised the other day that I was never actually heading "home", because I don't have one that I can call my own. I know I'm rambling but I'm happy, and now I know what I want to do ....

Oh hang on, I think I want a horse-box really :hippy:

• I also think the Ollie route is also a good one, get out of the rent trap first and then work your way up to something nice by using the money you save not paying that high rent. I did it that way once and I had more comforts in my van than most people do in their homes, but circumstances have reset me back to the bottom of the live aboard chain.

My present van cost a few hundred quid and I slept across the front seats in laybies for the first 6 months with my possessions piled up in boxes in the back. What spare money I have goes into the conversion.

I have had rented homes at odd times, even bought one once, but I will never go back to bricks and morter living. I love the freedom ofthe open road and that I have so few fixed bills to pay. When I earn 100 quid now, 10 gets put aside for insurance and phone bills, and the 90 is for me.

• As regards the human need for a good clean-up, in the warmer weather (or places) a great idea is this little device, a fully self-contained shower and pump - just add warm water! :

portable-shower.jpg

I use one myself and am always surprised by its power and efficiency. You fill a bucket with shower-temperature water, plug the 12v cigar lighter plug in and dunk the pump-end in the bucket. There is a handset holder on a little plunger that will stick to a high part of your car so you can stand and shower. You can turn it on and off from the waterproof switch on the power lead.
    I use a big old aluminium bowl to stand in out of the dust, and give my feet a nice soak too. These devices are around £15 and to my mind, when you're feeling sweaty on a hot long journey they are a great bargain. Five minutes to warm the water on your camping stove and you're in heaven!
    I suppose with hot enough water you could even have an outside shower here in the Blighty winter if you don't mind confusing your goose-bumps.
    Very best wishes to you on your new life Zico.

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is meant to be serious.

• I usually only shower at the end of the day as most of my work is dirty ( i am a stone mason, handywoman and furniture maker by trade) often a couple of cheap bottles water left on the windshield warm up enough for a pleasant and effective shower without taking too much space up in a car or van. Basically just open the top and pour it over your body.

4 liters is enough for a good shower, with 6 I can wash my hair. No equipment needed.

• All good reasons. I've just noticed that this thread has had over 1000 views, maybe it's a more common thought than many will admit?

After talking with alot of people it's a more common dream but few have the will to go do it, stick with it and learn the ropes personally I find living rough is an attitude not a situation you can be happy with the simple life if you accept it's a compromise to get what you want and plan to work and change what you can I've once lived in an abandoned bus stop for a week and was happy knowing it wasn't my life it was a stop on it and I was heading for better
    Your cold.night in the car wasn't living rough it was an education that that life needs more insulation also I swear by 98 pattern army winter sleeping bags mine was cheap and keeps me good into the.minus 20s in the mondeo

• After talking with alot of people it's a more common dream but few have the will to go do it, stick with it and learn the ropes personally I find living rough is an attitude not a situation you can be happy with the simple life if you accept it's a compromise to get what you want and plan to work and change what you can I've once lived in an abandoned bus stop for a week and was happy knowing it wasn't my life it was a stop on it and I was heading for better
    Your cold.night in the car wasn't living rough it was an education that that life needs more insulation also I swear by 98 pattern army winter sleeping bags mine was cheap and keeps me good into the.minus 20s in the mondeo

I slept rough for almost a year in my early 20s. I did a fair bit of moving around and spent time in southern Ireland and the south of England. It was the best time of my life and I met so many cool and interesting people. The odd night I had a couch to kip on or whatever. Best year of my life it was and it's one of the reasons I want to go back to that lifestyle. I'd never sleep rough again though, a roof over my head is essential.

• Are your plans to stay relatively set in one spot or do you plan on constantly being on the move? Aside from the situation which has led to you doing this it sounds like exciting times are ahead. Best of luck with it all :)

• Are your plans to stay relatively set in one spot or do you plan on constantly being on the move? Aside from the situation which has led to you doing this it sounds like exciting times are ahead. Best of luck with it all :)

It'll be nice to have options. I'm sick of being in the same place.

• Car sleeping is often overlooked. My brother had a great set up in the early 1980s. He lived in tiny car. But he rented a garage. Very cheap to rent in a block of about 12 garages. So at night he drove the car into the garage to sleep. Door windows open, small kitchen on a shelf on the garage wall. In a morning it resembled Thunderbirds are go. Left any crap in the garage, very stealth.

• Good luck in the car, I managed 6 weeks. Mother and baby toilets are huge, private and good for washing self and clothes.

Worth investing a couple of quid on a Radar Toilet Key. (Especially if your overnighting on the coast or in towns) 24 hour access to washing facilities, water, toilets, dry space to get changed, refreshed. Keys available off eBay. No vehicle traveller should be without one. It's even possible to get a good few hours sleep (if desperate) in the warmth of a well maintained (cleaned daily disabled toilet) There, share the secret. 🛅