Living in a car

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Daisysmum, nothing is unfair here, this is entirely my choice. I could have been in my bed last night and will be able to up until the house sells. At that point I'll be taking half the proceeds, not a lot, and we'll be going separate ways. I slept rough and travelled around in my late teens and twenties, at that point I was happier than I've ever been since. Going back on the road is something that's always been in my mind. To be completely honest, it's probably contributed in some small way to the end of the relationship.

• I assumed your ebay logon details were deliberate and went ahead and placed an order. :pp

• There are cheap devices to be had for use to ventilate cars which sit on top of the glass then allow you to roll the window up. The result is a vent & security.

Yesterdays gone, tomorrows a mystery, today's a gift, that's why its called the present.

• Morning all, it's a cold one.

So, trial run over and my conclusion is... I need a van to make this work but at a push it could be done in my car.

There are many comforts in a van that just aren't possible in a car, obviously, and I want those comforts. I need a full size bed, accessible storage space, room to stand up and change my undercrackers and a power source that isn't using the car battery.

My plan is to wait until the house sells and invest in a Transit size van. I'm definitely doing this though, I had a blast. I'll be watching van builds with interest.

• Hey zico, just wanted to say good luck to you, I am in a very similar situation having split from my wife last year, luckily I own a Renault Trafic van which is the same size as a transit and managed to sleep in that right up to December no problem , I have very good camping gear and insulated the back. I slept in a tent for a few months and stayed with friends, try to find a hiddenspot off the beaten track awaty from footpaths if you do camp, your main problem will be dog walkers. In the van I found parking next to other vehicles on village greens to work well, never had anyone knock on the window asking questions. As i was paying full rent to my ex I was forced to live this way but I am currently lodging in a great house this year but plan to buy a bell tent with log burner for next year and go full time. Hopefully you will enjoy the freedom and get a fresh start and be happy, hard sometimes in this situation.
    Best of luck to you ;)

• Hey zico, just wanted to say good luck to you, I am in a very similar situation having split from my wife last year, luckily I own a Renault Trafic van which is the same size as a transit and managed to sleep in that right up to December no problem , I have very good camping gear and insulated the back. I slept in a tent for a few months and stayed with friends, try to find a hiddenspot off the beaten track awaty from footpaths if you do camp, your main problem will be dog walkers. In the van I found parking next to other vehicles on village greens to work well, never had anyone knock on the window asking questions. As i was paying full rent to my ex I was forced to live this way but I am currently lodging in a great house this year but plan to buy a bell tent with log burner for next year and go full time. Hopefully you will enjoy the freedom and get a fresh start and be happy, hard sometimes in this situation.
    Best of luck to you ;)

Sorry to hear about your woes, it's good that you're moving on, glad to hear that. Why are you considering going full time as opposed to living in a house? For me it's the yearning to answer to no-one and to do my own thing.

• Though I've never tried it (I have a touring caravan) personally the smallest car I would feel comfortable living in is a Citroen Berlingo. It's van based & has lots of room inside. People often convert them for camping & such. If anyone's interested here are some instructions for doing just that:

http://smallmotorhome.co.uk/self-build.html

You'll also see that you can add tent annexes to increase living space.

Berlingocamping-1.jpg

Berlingocamping4-1.jpg

You can also buy such annexes for some cars.

all_kinds_of_tent_awning_car_tent.jpg

Yesterdays gone, tomorrows a mystery, today's a gift, that's why its called the present.

• I would set out the vehicle differently to the one above though. The Fiat Doblo has a high roof & makes for a good base vehicle, the 1.3 diesel engine makes it attractive too.

0_0_0_0_165_220_csupload_66656194_large.jpg
    Doblo

0_0_0_0_307_409_csupload_60888236_large.jpg
    Doblo interior. Whilst this is factory built the DIYer could do something similar in terms of layout.

• Motorhome users use insulated blinds to solve that problem, combined with some 'stealth' stuff on top as described in the blackout thread, there would be no need to worry. Also the Berlingos rear windows open on a hinge which allow them to be cracked open whilst remaining secure.

Nova_Thermal_Interior_Cab_Blinds.jpg

• For some reason I'd still prefer a van base. I know it world be nice to buy a camper and have all mod cons but I don't know if the look puts me of or if its just the fact that's it's more conspicuous.

• Hi zico
    I also like the comfort of a car base so I found the largest car I could I was living with my cousin full time in a mondeo estate for over a year and graduated up to a mitsubishi delica lwb.it has buckets of room and pre fitted curtains as well as a fair amount of utility. My mondeo looked ok but after a winter In it it was showing rot within the roof lining from condensation and damp was rife. You need insulation on glass and metal alike and privacy

• What's your rough budget Zico? Maybe we could help you track something down?

I really need to wait until the house sells first. At that point I'll have approx. £6000 to play with plus the value of the car, about £3000 which I'd like to keep to live from.

• You could easy pick up a coach built for that but you could buy a small van already converted possibly for even less?

Have you taken a look on Ebay/Gumtree/Preloved to see what's available? It's an expensive time to buy a van - once the weather warms up everyone thinks about buying, but if you have to wait for your house to see then you could be buying in the autumn or winter and there are bargains to be had then.

• I'd say it will be late summer at the earliest before the house sells. Here's hoping though. Never again will I commit to bricks and mortar. People are conditioned to take on this massive debt for 25 years and that's you, no choice but to work all your days to pay for it. It's ridiculous.