So, I've decided to go properly FULL TIME!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Afternoon all,

Just thought I'd let you all know that soon there's going to be another conversion thread from me because I've decided that I am going to buy a bigger van and go properly full time. I've been spending long periods of time in my little C15 to test how I like life on the road and figure out what I really want from the foreseeable future, but now I reckon with the summer coming up I should be looking for something that will make a proper home, rather than a nano-camper (as I've called him!). And by proper home I mean I want it fully kitting out and off grid so that I can go anywhere and not have to rely on the gym or work etc for my so-called "essentials" of shower, toilet, kitchen, electric supply, etc etc. I might even build a bigger bed... cos Christ knows I'm hard enough to date without the added issue of me having a smaller-than-single bed ;)

I'm going to be rereading all your posts about which van to choose over the coming couple of weeks and then as soon as 'normal' work is out at the end of June, I'll be getting myself a new set of wheels! (Maybe sooner.. once I get an idea in my head I can't bloody rest until I've done it...) It'll be a less than 3500kg cos of my cat B license.

So, let me say, THANK YOU to all of you wonderful people who have been so friendly and helpful to me over my past few months starting out on the road. Can't wait to see what the next adventure brings!!! :D

• Somewhere big enough to keep your bicycle? :)

Excellent news. You've done it just right. Lots of people buy a big van, get rid of everything, go full-time and can't get on with it when taking it stage by stage may have suited them better.

Go you!

• You can still get a good size wagon with a cat B, get a luton-bodied van and stick the bed up over the cab, and you'll have plenty of floor space to play with. Good luck with it, and post pics...

• You can still get a good size wagon with a cat B, get a luton-bodied van and stick the bed up over the cab, and you'll have plenty of floor space to play with. Good luck with it, and post pics...

This is what I was thinking about doing! I've been having a look at lutons today and I would love to put a bed up over the cab (I'd call it "The Nest" and then have some of those little stairs with built in storage leading up to them. OH THE POSSIBILITIES! Very jealous of Colin and his huge beautiful new truck... if I'm not careful I'll end up with new license and something like that haha

i'm going to do some sketches. Anyone know where I can find internal dimensions of different lutons? Or anyone know an average floor space of one?

• i'm going to do some sketches. Anyone know where I can find internal dimensions of different lutons? Or anyone know an average floor space of one?

If you work on a floorplan of 13ft by 8ft you won't go far wrong, then the cabover will be roughly 3ft deep by 3ft high. Obviously they all differ.

Agree, that is what I have just done (pictures and stuff on another thread somewhere...) The idea of a bed over the cab which wouldn't need to be set up at night and taken down every morning was a real clincher for me... using a bed as a seat is also not ideal...

My over-cab space will take a standard 3ft mattress as it is... but I intend extending it to 4ft... to take what is sometimes known as the (ahem) "honeymoon size" mattress... or maybe even extending to 4ft 6in... but that would involve some sort of folding or sliding extension in order not to intrude on the daytime space... and making a narrow mattress for the extra width... I'll see.

The vertical sides mean that fitting out will be dead easy. Or you can just lash furniture to the sides (as I am going to do) for a quick fix and a layout which can be experimented with...

Bigger vans feel much safer to drive, too... not having your ass down at road level means sooooo much better visibility... and you soon get used to the width and length.

More air space is healthier, too... not breathing your own breath quite as often.

• This is what I was thinking about doing! I've been having a look at lutons today and I would love to put a bed up over the cab (I'd call it "The Nest" and then have some of those little stairs with built in storage leading up to them. OH THE POSSIBILITIES! Very jealous of Colin and his huge beautiful new truck... if I'm not careful I'll end up with new license and something like that haha

i'm going to do some sketches. Anyone know where I can find internal dimensions of different lutons? Or anyone know an average floor space of one?

The shortest luton seems to be 3m or so (10ft) floor. I decided I wanted longer (lot of books... and musical instruments...) so got a Ford Transit smiley luton which is 12ft 10in long on the cargo floor. I'm delighted to say it has the 'banana' engine, too...

My floor width is 2.070m (6ft 9.5in) not including 25mm (1inch) each side between the ribs which can be used for insulation... but I'm going to put 50mm (2inches) of insulation which will still leave plenty for a bunk length. I believe that some lutons are narrower... so you need to check it out. Irritating if it won't take a full mattress length...

The floor space over the cab is .92m (3ft) so room for a standard single, which I will extend.... again, I expect there is some variation.