Anyone keep their bike on/with their van when parked?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Evening all!

So, I returned to Oxford on Tuesday and on the first night I got parked up in my nice area with plenty of light and, as there is no room for me and my bike to sleep in the van (well, there is... but it would be a squeeze), I decided to lock the bike up outside. I put a maximum security rated D-lock on the frame, back wheel, and the bumper of the van, and put two other chains on the front part of the frame, front wheel and the door handle of the van back doors. Unless you have an angle grinder, you ain't getting that bike off the back of my van.

Lo' and behold, at 2am, some twats decide they are going to try to steal my bike. I woke up because of the noise, hopped into the front, got out, wandered around the back of the van and leant up against it watching for a few seconds before I veryyy quietly said "What are you doing?" One of the idiots was so shocked that they jumped up and fell backwards into the road. The other was just shocked that I was in my van. The gits left and I didn't say another word.

So now I just wonder how many of you guys n gals keep your bike with you? And how do you keep it safe?

Is it just me that would be even more put off stealing something if it was chained to a vehicle? I don't bloody understand why people can't just leave everyone else alone or be nice anyway but seriously, this thing was bolted to a van. And was parked up on a well lit residential road. What the heck?!?! Am I missing something here?

Raffi 1 - Thieves 0

• Just as I posted that last message, two more prats just tried to pull my bike off the bumper. They'd given up before I had time to fly out the van and give 'em what for.

Chriiiiiiist!

• Post by Ecobob ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • Tis Oxford for you, ever the opportunist thief. I had loads of stuff nicked when I lived there, even the burner from my van once, but not when I was sleeping in it. I suppose it depends where you park to a degree but I was well out of the city.
    I suppose everywhere has it's thieving but there was rather a lot going when I lived there. I once locked my bike up by the front wheel in the city centre only to return later to find just the front wheel still locked up with no bike.
    I do like to visit Oxford now and then to catch up with friends but I don't miss living there one bit.
    As for the bike, I don't know the answer, maybe some sort of roof rack, or maybe that's asking for even more trouble.

• For now I've taken it to work and locked it up in the grounds so it should be ok. But it doesn't half wind me up. It's got quick release wheels so it wouldn't be out of the question to just take them off and store it all in the van. Was hoping there was a less-hassle way of doing it though considering I'm in an out of this thing all day long.

• What about a lockable roof box on the van? You could pop the wheels out and it should all fit in. I suppose it'd be a bit of a pain getting the bike in and out though, depending on how often you use it.

I'm actually glad you posted this up because I'm planning on taking my mountain bike with me on my travels. I was going to transport it in the back, and then lock it to the van at night so it doesn't get in the way inside. After reading this I'm going to have to re-think - it sounds like there are too many opportunists around :(

Good for you on confronting them though :)

• I reckon you might need a better way of doing it, andyvw. Thinking about it, I had the bike locked up to the van for about three hours before someone tried it on the first night, and just this time I'd been there about an hour and a half, two hours at most. So two attempted thefts in five hours, in broad daylight, even when attached to a vehicle....

Guess I'm leaving the bike at work from now on. Kind of defeats the point of having the bloody thing for commuting!

• We've recently started carrying two bikes on the back of our van using three chains for security underneath a large rain cover. Despite the three chains I have been concerned when parked up, especially in Swansea or Cardiff. However, so far so good ! Keep on cycling, Toby.

• This is something ive given a lot of thought as my downhill bike cost a small fortune n tealeafs will hive it in a blink if they could. My crosscountry bike isnt the greatest but its still a ok one, i want to be able to carry both but hat means locking them to the outside. My plan is to chain them together, chain them separately as well just cover them with locks as theres no way i could get both in the van with me n be able to move.
    Round about here the only way to keep them would be to weld them to the van

- - - Updated - - -

This is something ive given a lot of thought as my downhill bike cost a small fortune n tealeafs will hive it in a blink if they could. My crosscountry bike isnt the greatest but its still a ok one, i want to be able to carry both but hat means locking them to the outside. My plan is to chain them together, chain them separately as well just cover them with locks as theres no way i could get both in the van with me n be able to move.
    Round about here the only way to keep them would be to weld them to the van

• I have a bike rack on back of van which i lock bike to when in or travelling,when in shitty cities leave inside van , worked so far but bikes are a target where ever you roam Raffi.

My two-penneth, a cautionary tale: I had two bikes on a two-bike rack, the rack closest to the camper held my downhill/off-roader (the frame alone cost £400) and in front of it was my 'shopper/get-about'. I was visiting friends and sleeping-over, next morning I discovered my shopper/get-about on the ground and my downhill/off-roader gone. Each had there own cable (about as thick as your finger) and stout lock. Both cables had been bolt-cropped. The ONLY thing that would have prevented this happening is 'out of sight, out of mind' and, of course, you will have already guessed that my fully-comprehensive vehicle insurance not cover it!
    HIDE IT!

• I do a lot of cycling around here there n everywhere so I can't imagine having a folding bike with tiny wheels. It would drive me absolutely bonkers. Good idea though. I guess my dear bike is just going to have to sleep in the van with me when I can't leave it anywhere else 'safe'. Honestly. People!

• If you were to remove the front wheel might it fit across the front seats or just forward of them Raffi? I was thinking you could get one of those hand-tighten fly-nuts and then remove that front wheel before wedging the bike inside. Alternatively thieves should be slightly less excited about stealing the bike from the outside of your van if the front wheel is missing from the bike. It sounds like Saturday night drinkers in an opportunist mood.

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is meant to be serious.

• Jeez that's hellish news. We've been all over Europe and North Africa with our bikes but only ever in the UK did someone try to steal them. We were advised that for some strange reason, putting a rain cover over them and securing it with a bungee cord puts opportunists off. Don't know whether it's just that extra 'step' taking the cover off before they get down to their nefarious deeds that puts them off but apparently - it works. A small tarp would do if you can't get your hands on a cover. Still hellish though - apart from the prospect of losing your bike, you have the anxiety of waiting for it to happen again. You don't deserve this - any of it. :/

• Jeez that's hellish news. We've been all over Europe and North Africa with our bikes but only ever in the UK did someone try to steal them. We were advised that for some strange reason, putting a rain cover over them and securing it with a bungee cord puts opportunists off. Don't know whether it's just that extra 'step' taking the cover off before they get down to their nefarious deeds that puts them off but apparently - it works. A small tarp would do if you can't get your hands on a cover. Still hellish though - apart from the prospect of losing your bike, you have the anxiety of waiting for it to happen again. You don't deserve this - any of it. :/

I thought about a tarp but with the way people have been here, they'd probably nick the tarp as well!

• So for the past few nights it's been very cosy in the van... me n my bike crammed in there. I've been taking the front wheel off and putting both in the back with me. There's enough room in the 'alley way', as I call it (the space between my bed and my cabinets on the other side of the van) for my bike to sit comfortably with its front wheel next to it. There's just about enough room for me to put my work things in a rucksack over on the cabinet side and then I've just got enough space to sit up on my bed with my feet on the floor to do the rest of the things I do in the van... which pretty much is getting changed and getting ready for bed.

It's not ideal. But at the moment this is what I'm doing to save me having to leave my bike locked up a fifteen minute walk away from where I park up. I left my bike at work a couple of nights but it doesn't feel right not having everything I have with me in my van!!

Thanks for all your advice, lovely people. If I come up with an ingenious plan I'll let you all know!