Fitting in with corporates & convention

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Sounds great BaguetteMan! I'm sure there were plenty of clubs around Mayfair where you would have fitted right in.

Chris you clearly went to a much more enlightened school than I did, the boys at mine would have said something like "ewww I'm not wearing that, it's gaaaaay". :rolleyes:

To be fair I'm not certain that it had much to do with enlightenment. I think it was probably more to do with it being a way of rebelling against the school.

• To be honest, I look and dress very square anyway. More half hearted bohemian than tie die and dreads hippy.

I worked a very vanilla corporate job last year, and while I didn't really fit in, that was more an age and lived experience thing. My life is about travelling from here to somewhere else that has yet to find me, everyone else seems obsessed with the destination.

I kinda create an alternate personality for work, an alter ego, like an actor playing a part. that way I remain true to myself and yet can be what the company wants me to be.

Being a girl, there is a lot more leeway in what you can wear to work than you blokes and your cookie cutter suits.

The whole time clock watching thing is hard though, while I am never late, ever, if I have a set time to be somewhere.Normally I choose to live free of time in my life. I wake when I feel like it, eat when hungry, work if i feel like it, sleep when I am tired. Being tied to set hours on set days is restrictive and really messed with my state of mind.

• I also find it amusing the "uniform" that blokes who work in offices wear nowadays. They all have crazy hair, pointy shoes, and short "jackets", and they all look so effeminate. Best bit though is how they look down on people like me, a bit scruffy and in overalls, but someone who is getting payed a damned site more than they are . . . . . . wankers!

But hey, peace and love man :hippy:

• I like the idea of being an actor playing a part, LV.

Fashion is another amusing thing, especially when applied to guys. There's a woman on the train who's heels are so high her feet look deformed... I must be getting old!

What do you do Unc?

• I like the idea of being an actor playing a part, LV.

Fashion is another amusing thing, especially when applied to guys. There's a woman on the train who's heels are so high her feet look deformed... I must be getting old!

What do you do Unc?

I do all sorts of things , but currently getting my fun-tokens from being an Electrical engineer :hippy:

• I also find it amusing the "uniform" that blokes who work in offices wear nowadays. They all have crazy hair, pointy shoes, and short "jackets", and they all look so effeminate. Best bit though is how they look down on people like me, a bit scruffy and in overalls, but someone who is getting payed a damned site more than they are . . . . . . wankers!

But hey, peace and love man :hippy:

As if by wearing clowns shoes and gelling their hair and wearing perfume they are some how better than you

• I remember when I first moved to where I am now I kept seeing this woman walking down the street with a couple of small yappy dogs (ive no problems with yappy dogs)
    I dont know why but I stereotyped her the first time I saw her and had her down as a right snooty whasaname, after about a week Im out working on the van and I saw her coming down the street with little yappers and as I looked up I just said hello luv she responded with a smile and a hello next thing I know weve been stood ten minutes chatting about this and that and im thinking to myself that I couldnt of got her more wrong then I sort of blurted out "Im going to be honest when I first saw you I thought what a snooty old cow she didnt even flinch and said to me well isnt that strange when I saw you moving in I thought to myself watchout trouble has just moved in, her and her old man have been really good to us lending us their car to get van bits,and my flat now has a load of their old (new to me) furniture.

Not exactly on topic but Im sure there is a connection to it somewhere.

• When you say yappy dogs, is that the same as drop-kick dogs? :hippy:

I feel bad for laughing but it was funny. :) I have actually booted one of the little buggers over a small wall, it was my aunt's dog & had my very placid collie by the throat & wasn't letting go. It landed on a soft beach which was more than it deserved; horrible little thing killed 3 other dogs that I knew of, probably more.

• Disclaimer: I don't think I have ever actually drop-kicked a dog.

Uncle! is it that you are just not brave enough to own up to doing such a thing on a hippy site with all these vegans veggies and animal rights campaigners?

Fried Onion - Your halo must be glowing..:angel:.
    Now... if i said something like that I would have been drop kicked around the UKHIPPY site.
    Like my banner says - FREQUENTLY MISUNDERSTOOD

My school days Ive always been that kid that would turn up to watch the tail end of some trouble and end up getting the blame for starting it all.... Meh whats that all about?
    Arse lickers were always good at getting me into bother!

• Haha well in my defence the little shit would have killed my dog if I hadn't intervened.

Yeah I always got the blame as well. To be fair I probably started a lot of it. I also go red easily, or used to, not sure if that is still the case, I can remember at work being asked if I stole someone's sandwich (I didn't) I went red so denying it was pointless.

BTW, my halo rests nicely on my horns.
    :reddevil: