Ex boat bum hits the road

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hippydom is fast approaching.

I bought this on e-bay Thursday week, went up to Trowbridge on the train Saturday and drove it back - 140 miles back to Perranporth in 3hrs 45 minutes, going carefully at the start to get used to the width and so on. This photo was taken in the seller's front garden and is from the ebay advert.

She handles very well and the 2.5 Ford di diesel (this version is the 'banana engine' - due to the unusual shape of the inlet manifold) is reckoned as being 'bullet proof'. Some models had timing chains, but this one has a belt, but being OHV if it snaps it doesn't wreck the engine, just bends a few valve stems... people have been known to straighten them with a hammer... but it does mean removing the head and stuff, so a bit of a drag... it will have a new belt by Thursday...

Direct injection (no heater plugs to go wrong, turn the key and it starts) no computer to go wrong, a simple engine which can be worked on with hand tools... there are no electrically operated windows to go wrong, either...

1997, but only 61,000 odd miles.... nothing for a diesel, barely run in... used for local deliveries only... "Johnson and Johnson Interiors, Castle Carey" (not the talcum powder people!)

I used less than a half tank for the trip (but I dunno how much the tank holds - it was full when I bought it!) It is exactly the van I've been searching for for the last few months...

Many thanks to Terry Tanner, a great ebayer, an honest Joe and generally good nut. The photos are from his ebay advert.

With a 12' 9.5" X 6' 9" cargo floor and 6' 10" headroom and enough space for a double bed over the cab it is going to make a great camper - after I have done a removal job for ex-wife Tamsin when our house sale goes through....

Less than £1900, twelve months tax online for £232.50, fully comprehensive insurance online for £242 odd (I had no no claims bonus as I had been driving my ex-wife's car.... but being a 'named driver helps bring the cost down with some firms...)

I play saxophones and clarinets... anyone who needs a practice room so as not to annoy family or neighbours could find this would be a solution... and you could earn some cash as 'man and van'... or just use it as a stealth motorhome as I will....

Insulation to keep snug ought to have some acoustic value... but, anyway, you could always drive it somewhere away from houses...

Once the house is sold and I've done my removal man duty, it will be fit-out time...

• Maybe they vanished from the source location?

The best way is to upload them to an image hosting place & then post a link to there. That way they're under your control.

• Well, they are posted.... let's see if they stay there.... it may be that the ones I posted before were too large, and maybe when I logged out they disappeared... I'll log out and log in and see....

Well, I went out and came back in - so maybe the original image size was the problem - but the software didn't reject them at first.... weird.

• Once my ex-wife and ten year old son are moved to their new address I can start fitting out... except that there is a kitchen and bathroom job lined up in their 'new' house.... so I will be parked nearby and to-ing and fro-ing between jobs as appropriate.

Once that is done, the plan is to look around for a bit of land for cash... and get hold of a load of straw bales.... :)