Tie Dye help

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Back in the summer we did some tie dye. They came out pretty ok and where very happy. Not most vibrant ever but nice enough.
    At the weekend we did exactly the same again but came out after wash really faded

I have done some research and a lot of people are using soda ash first. We haven't done that. Next time we will.

However we have dyed a bedsheet without soda ash and will be washing it out tonight. Is there anything we can do to make dyes stick better when washing out? I have seen one youtube vid with someone using cold water salt and vinegar? Will this help?

• What dye are you using? the ones like dylon say use either salt or one of there fixing solutions.i always use the sachet powder mix (dylon)and add salt,the mix ratio should be on the pack.another thing,if its a new item of clothing etc,some of them are finished with a dressing,like a starch,that makes them look better,stay crisp and pressed in the shop,so best to wash the item 1st,dont add conditioner as this too will inhibit dye absorbtion xx

• Yes its the Dylon and basically followed this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uh2TYjPg3o

We haven't used any Soda Ash just soaked items first in cold water then after tie dye rinsed them in cold water. First batch in summer where ok but the weekends ones where really faded. We used the same Dye we mixed up in the summer. Could it have gone off?
    For our bedsheets we mixed an extra strong dye. basically double the dye and salt recommended and we are leaving 48 hours rather than 24 for extra strength.

Is there anything we can do tonight when washing out to help?
    In future we will use Soda Ash first but we have already done this bedsheets without so hoping to get best results as we can.
    Have you heard about using cold water salt and vinegar to fix it at end? This vid...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO7awsFZ6fA

• Not heard of vinegar use,cant hurt tho.ya dye may have gone off! when we do it in the summer with child minded kids we always do it in a bucket as directed with hot water and salt.if i do stuff at home i always just throw it all in the washing machine,dye,salt,the lot and put it on the hotest wash the fabric recomends,both work,and wash well after,just that the machine method is less messy.i done a sheet use it on the boat,not washed it too often,but its still strong and fresh in colour,purple,of course! but some colours do hold faster then others,ie fade more or less! x

• Dont know whether it would work but you could try soaking in soda ash now. I Know its the wrong way round but you never know. My dylon tye dye has all faded away which is sad but I've found an American brand that seems much more vibrant and you use soda ash with as fixative and put tye dyes in a plastic bag still damp for 24 hours somewhere warm before rinsing. I did a load for my boyfriend for Christmas and while he doesn't wash his clothes that often it isn't running out in the wash at all and still bright. I never did find the trick with dylon I just used to get disheartened that my work all faded away. Its fine for tub dying just doesn't seem to work for tye dying for me.

• I have found that we got the best results by soaking the dyed items in very salty cold water overnight before rinsing the dye away ...
    I'm talking about six cups of salt to one bucket of water ... from then on never use biological powders ... we use the non bio powder
    for baby's clothes ...

• Post by dean79 ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • Post by dean79 ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • Dont know whether it would work but you could try soaking in soda ash now. I Know its the wrong way round but you never know. My dylon tye dye has all faded away which is sad but I've found an American brand that seems much more vibrant and you use soda ash with as fixative and put tye dyes in a plastic bag still damp for 24 hours somewhere warm before rinsing. I did a load for my boyfriend for Christmas and while he doesn't wash his clothes that often it isn't running out in the wash at all and still bright. I never did find the trick with dylon I just used to get disheartened that my work all faded away. Its fine for tub dying just doesn't seem to work for tye dying for me.

I don't have any yet. I have some on order for next time.

- - - Updated - - -

I always use ecover,prob why iv not had much fade? x

Do you use cover before or after? Never heard of ecover, what is it?

• I have found that we got the best results by soaking the dyed items in very salty cold water overnight before rinsing the dye away ...
    I'm talking about six cups of salt to one bucket of water ... from then on never use biological powders ... we use the non bio powder
    for baby's clothes ...

Maybe this could work after as well? Like comment about using Soda Ash after maybe salty water after may help a little?
    What about vinegar? What could this do? Would that help?