Discuss: Wind power dilemma for Lewis

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I saw this item a few days ago, thought it was a good topic bacause it sums up the probs for most of the high, windy & mostly empty parts of the UK. So what do u think the answer/s is/are??

Link to BBC story

Wind power dilemma for Lewis

By Paul Rincon
    Science reporter, BBC News, Stornoway

Opponents say the wind farm could destroy huge areas of peatland

Lewis, the most northerly island in the Hebrides, is home to one of the largest peatland habitats left in Europe.

The blanket bog occupies thousands of hectares, forming an environment of waterlogged splendour that supports dozens of rare bird and insect species.
    For the inhabitants of Lewis, particularly the crofters whose system for working this land dates to Medieval times, the peatlands are the living heart of this island.
    But its traditional economies are in terminal decline and council leaders warn that the numbers of young people leaving in search of better prospects on the mainland are fuelling a demographic crisis.
    Some believe the way forward for Lewis lies in making use of one of its untapped natural resources: the wind. Three wind farms have been proposed for Lewis, with the collective potential to generate more than 1,000 megawatts of electricity.

• Its a constant theme these days, sadly. Down here (in Cornwall) theyre proposing to put a big energy from waves project off the north coast. There is some opposition from surfers as it is said that it could potentially reduce the height of waves breaking on the beach by between 10 and 20%. thus harming the surf industry in the region. (worth some £65-75 million a year)
    I find it difficult to see energy demand declining and even more difficult to see how we could possibly satisfy it. I think i tend towards the view that we are not f**king up the planet but probably will end up making it inhospitable to ourselves.
    Sorry, bit dark, that:cry:

• They have a load of wind towers near Stirling. Im in favour of them, i get sick of all those so called hill walkers, harping on about the view being spoilt...id rather a wind tower, than a nuclear power station.

:patch:

• Quote from Exedous

i get sick of all those so called hill walkers, harping on about the view being spoilt....

I really don't get that either. I think they look rather majestic - and yes I would me more than happy to have one in front of my view (if I lived somewhere with a view lol). They could be viewed as a modern day windwill and there used to be loads of them all over the countryside.

Les x

• Interesting replys guys.. But these schemes are MASSIVE & the proposal is for234 three-megawatt turbines that are 140m tall, now that not something I'd like in my garden & that's not to mention the noise. I like the idea of wind power but not the idea of these HUGE farms of the things.

Quote from bbc

But the plans will also transform the landscape, lining it with hundreds of huge turbines. The largest of the schemes, to be situated on the north Lewis moor, comprises 190 turbines, each 140m tall. The rotor blades on the turbines will sweep a circle with a diameter that is wider than a jumbo jet.

• Quote from Renegade-Ego

Interesting replys guys.. But these schemes are MASSIVE & the proposal is for234 three-megawatt turbines that are 140m tall, now that not something I'd like in my garden & that's not to mention the noise. I like the idea of wind power but not the idea of these HUGE farms of the things.

You don't really get very much power from your typical office-fan sized turbine though would ya?! :p

Also--- Again rather this than nucleur power.

I would like to see more wind power/solar power in cities before having massive countryside farms and changing the flow of the sea. x

• Quote from Exedous

They have a load of wind towers near Stirling. Im in favour of them, i get sick of all those so called hill walkers, harping on about the view being spoilt...id rather a wind tower, than a nuclear power station.

I agree ...I also love seeing them and think they look majestic :) I get really excited when we go past them in Cumbria .... and can't wait to have a smaller version one day!! And I have just signed up to ecotricity that own wind farms that tap into the national grid!! I think it is a positive step forward for a cleaner environment!!

And I love the Isle of Lewis after all I named my son after the island and magical Calanish stones on there... as I visited a few years ago and it is beautiful but I would rather still see wind turbines than dodgy nuclear power :) but then again why don't they put them out to sea there they wouldn't bother anyone!!!

http://www.ecotricity.co.uk/

• My ex (1st) lives on Lewis and is very much against the turbines. That fact alone puts me very much in favour of them. :D

She does say that a vast amount of methane / carbon is released when the bog is disturbed and a vast amount of carbon is produced in the making of concrete footings too.

She'd probably be angry as hell if a nuclear power station were to be built there.

Although there are some fine interesting places there, much of Lewis IMO really is as boring as hell but colder, damper, really bleak and featureless. When you consider the other Western Isles one can understand why it was Lewis that was chosed for the turbines.

• If nuke power is so safe lets see each city have its own....right in the middle...it would make lots of jobs too....

Unfortunately we will end up with a fudge of some new nukes, some greenwash windies in innappropriate places, and no reduction in energy use (either through excessive toys, hypercompetitive industry, increased population....or all of the above :( )...

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Well, my family come from Lewis and most of them still live there as crofters, so I know the Island very well. I'm all in favour for this-there are masses and masses of peat-bogs all over the island, I think its possible to find a place which would cause the least amount of disturbance. On the other hand I wouldn't want it to be a case of the crofter's loosing out on the land which they have taken care of for so long-too reminicent of the clearences in my opinion.
    I think a lot of opposition may come because the islanders are still rather cut off from the mainland, and if there is a lot of opposition propaganda then that might just spread like wildfire.
    All in all I think most Lewis folk won't mind as long as it is treated sensitivly by the authorities concerned.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]May all beings have happiness and create the causes of happiness.
    May they all be free from suffering and from creating the causes of suffering.
    [/FONT]

• Quote from uma

Well, my family come from Lewis and most of them still live there as crofters, so I know the Island very well.

I think a lot of opposition may come because the islanders are still rather cut off from the mainland, and if there is a lot of opposition propaganda then that might just spread like wildfire.
    All in all I think most Lewis folk won't mind as long as it is treated sensitivly by the authorities concerned.

Are you in contact with your family there? It would be interesting if you could find out the general opinion of the islanders.......and what sort of propaganda is going around (if any).

It's fine for people like me, who live hundreds of miles away, to think that it sounds like a good idea. It would be nice, if it was possible, to know how the people on the doorstep feel about the proposals and how it will effect them (percieved or real).

Les x

• I was very disappointed to hear an interview with James Lovelock (he of the Gaia theory) last week on the BBC world service in which he was strongly in favour of nuclear power.
    There is a big coal fired power station just up the road from us and the incidences of cancer in the immediate neighbourhood are way above the national average. No direct link has been established of course but it makes you wonder.
    Personally I love the wind turbines and think they add to the attraction of the landscape. I think they could do more to blend them in a bit better (some of the ones in northern Germany have had the towers painted a fetching green colour) but I'm also sure continued research would make them quieter and more efficient reducing the effect on the local population.
    One of the main criticisms levied against the renewable energy sources is that they are not sufficient to meet the required needs, however at the same time no government is putting anything like the amount of investment into research into these technologies that they are pumping into the nuclear industry. Hardly a fair comparison.

Sorry, bit of a hobby horse of mine :o

• Am I the only person who finds wind turbines a bit scarey?! I dont mean in their application but they are just so big and those vaney things could hoist you up and aargggggggg

:eek:

*understands why don quixote used to tilt at 'em*

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• I love Lewis and Harris, but I would definately go for the turbines.

But then I do actually like wind turbines. They are majestic in their way,a nd as they're also useful we have a perfect match of form and function.

• Quote from shibari.surfer

reduce the height of waves breaking on the beach by between 10 and 20%

sadly that figure is a lie, posted on sites such as A1 surf thanks to chienese whispers

i'm studying renewable energy bsc just outside of falmouth, and it appears the british surfing association pulled that figure out of a hat. in actual fact, the figure would be nearer to 3%, if that

my course director has done the research :)

i feel surfers against sewage are a much better organisation to follow...the bsa are rude, and run by somebody who lives in london and i wouldnt consider a surfer

on a lighter note, you seem really well clued up on environmental issues :D

• Im slowly gettin annoyed with all these N.I.M.B.Y'S* harking on about...{oh it'l spoil a nice view...} Ye??? and a N.P.P* WONT???

We have 50 years MAX till all of our Non Renewable resources are depleted, after that we will have NO choice!! Wind/Wave/Solar and Biomass are our ONLY solutions.

If we continue down this namby pamby route, we are heading straight for a {Loss of power armageddon}

Get yer heads out the sand and wake up.
    Arrrrrrrr

Sorry, im studying this @ college, jus had a 3 hour lectuare this morning on this very subject.

Not In My Back Yard's

Nuclear Power Plant

• Quote from Exedous

If we continue down this namby pamby route, we are heading straight for a {Loss of power armageddon} ....

And?

The human race is addicted to power :rolleyes: