What meals do you cook in your van?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Mods: I know there's a section on the site for food and cooking and whatnot, but I'm particularly interested in what our regular van-dwellers of this forum cook, so please let this stay here! :)

Afternoon, all!

I've ordered myself a camping stove and a cooking set for the van (kettle, frying pan, two sizes of saucepan). I've been thinking about 'one pot' meals and I'm just wondering what you guys like to make? I'm a vegetarian and usually 'raw before four' (i.e. before 4pm) so my cooking demands won't be that great, but I'm interested in what you all cook nonetheless! I haven't got a dedicated space in my van for a stove, but I've got some non-slip mat that I could put on the table and if I open the back doors I'll get ventilation... otherwise I might just pull up at the side of the road, sit down on the grass and cook away like that!

Raff :)

• We left bricks and mortar back in 2006 we don't cook any different to what we did in the house, full roasts dinners, stews etc fresh bread everyday, why change anything just because you live in a van, have to say though much as when in the house I love using a wok normally sort or 3 or 4 dishes along with rice or noodles each meal, I do the exotic stuff the Mrs does the basics

• Very good point re 'why change just cos you're in a van'! My original post wasn't very clear. Just meant with one hob gas stove and basic cooking set etc rather than the full range at in a house/flat. One of my fav meals is vege 'shepherds' pie and don't think I can make that in a frying pan (without some creative layering!! ;))

• Full roasts and bread,how do you manage that,do you have an oven?
    I do have a one pot meal which is simple to make, a curry mix,spud,tinned chick peas,dill pepper,tinned tomatoes,whole lemon and coriander leaf. Fry up your onion and garlic for 3/4minutes chuck in the curry paste let it simmer for 3/5minutes put water in if it seems to be drying out,chuck in the tomatoes,chick peas,spud,dill pepper and lemon chopped in chunks,finally add the coriander leaf.
    Takes around 30 minutes to cook up and is great with rice or just bread,I think it's a Morrocan dish. Dead cheap and taste good.

• I'm afraid that my meals are all cooked pretty much the same way in the wagon - chop it up and lob it in the pan.

But that does give you an opportunity to have so many different things depending on what is going cheap or what you saw for sale at the hedge

:-)

• I don't remember exactly, but I was watching jamie oliver a few days ago and he was making a fast version of a shepherds pie I think. Starting in a pan and then putting it in his oven. But if you've got a nice campfire (and a fireprove pan) that might be cool to try!

• Best thing is experiment,you will be surprised what you can do with one hob and swaping around various pots! Just need to think out cooking times for various things.Failing that lob it all in one pot!!
    Seriously just experiment,its fun and very rewarding too! Let us know how you get on.

• thanks for the suggestions and links etc everyone! I'm excited about making stuff in my minimalist kitchen ;) the stove and cooking set just arrived, and I've just boiled the kettle for the first time... all OK so far! (except the carry case was smashed to pieces when it arrived... hmph!)

• yes we do have a full size cooker with an oven and a breadmaking machine for when on hook up, but I've also made bread and cakes when tent camping years ago using a large biscuit tin or bread bin covered in earth with a hollowed out area underneath the tin where the fire was lit worked a treat

• I have a great veggie soup recipe but it would be too hard to make it in single portion. It has a lot of ingredients so you end up with about 6 -8 portions at least. I make a big pot and freeze individual portions. Mind you, if you have access to a freezer (at work for example) you could possibly do the same. Just take one out each morning, let it thaw out for the day then heat it up on your new stove in the evening ....... if it would suit you let me know and I'll post it.

• I have a great veggie soup recipe but it would be too hard to make it in single portion. It has a lot of ingredients so you end up with about 6 -8 portions at least. I make a big pot and freeze individual portions. Mind you, if you have access to a freezer (at work for example) you could possibly do the same. Just take one out each morning, let it thaw out for the day then heat it up on your new stove in the evening ....... if it would suit you let me know and I'll post it.

Sounds lovely! I might be able to make that work.. if I borrowed someone's kitchen or stored things at work like you say.

• Why do people insist on using these disposable gas canister cookers? There is no more expensive way of acquiring gas.

Can't speak for 'people' but I'm using them because I only have a tiny van and I can't put a fixed and presumably more economical (in the long run) unit in there at the moment. Plus the only time I eat hot meals is in the evening so I don't really need it often.

• I have and have had for ages one something like this:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Campingaz-Camping-Chef-Double-Burner-Stove-with-grill-/111609829662?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19fc76d91e

Or this bargain:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camp…ain_3&hash=item3f4807c305

They fold up, mine has a bag it goes in. Bottles of gas - refillable ones - last for ages. It doesn't take up much room, and you have the versatility of two rings, and on many of them a toaster too.

Have had one of the single burner case type thingies that take the bottles - ok for a back up, but they seem to eat bottles of gas.

Just my thoughts............

:-)

• There are hob top pots available that will bake and can potentially roast. The simplest ones use a ring base with a hole in the middle that convects heat against a lid to cook from above whilst cooking from the middle and as usual from the bottom.

Ive not really cooked yet other than reheating ready meals but do fairly well on baguette and cheese and raw foods.

• For simple and quick one pot meals Id go for packet noodles of asian origin and chuck in some veg or whatever takes your fancy cooked to a soup consistency with perhaps a few extra spices and seaonings to bolster the included flavour packet......add a small nob of butter and you are away in a happy , warm and nutritious land of simplicity and taste conscious nirvana