Ouija ... is it dangerous ?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

As classy as it may feel to quote Shakespeare, it doesn't really hold any credibility in issues of truth...

All mysteries we have had in the history of man are either explained by science, or as yet, unexplained. There has never been a system of thought that solves problems the way that science does. There are certainly areas of ignorance in science, but that does not mean that there is any credibility in current alternative systems of investigation.

• Hi Cosmos, Don't know if you have read it but there is a good chapter in Dick Swaab's book 'We are our brains: From the womb to Alzheimer's' on this.

The book also has an interesting chapter on Religion - don't subscribe myself got kicked out of sunday school as a kid for asking 'why' and turning cartwheels; never went back, prefered questions and cartwheels.

Sounds an interesting read. Thanks for the recommendation.

• I wouldn't do a ouija board if you payed me - have never done one - am easily spooked - i would actually crap my pants if i was to do a ouija board because i've already convinced myself it's gonna be scary... don't have a problem talking to dead people anyway so don't really feel the need for a ouija board. Are they dangerous? don't know - don't plan on finding out ;)

• There is alot of mambo-jambo about it, but beware though. Dont be a moron and use one. It is not about the board itselfe, but your willpower and urge to reach out, that calls for energies you do not want to meet. They wont be long gone relatives that comes to the calling.

• I have one, it belonged to my mother. Many (20 odd) years ago we used it, I'm not sure, there were messages, some pleasant, some not so. For sure, it works, I like the idea of it being mind controlled, ghosts are off my list of things to believe in :)

• I wouldn't do a ouija board if you payed me - have never done one - am easily spooked - i would actually crap my pants if i was to do a ouija board because i've already convinced myself it's gonna be scary... don't have a problem talking to dead people anyway so don't really feel the need for a ouija board. Are they dangerous? don't know - don't plan on finding out ;)

The answer is no, they're not dangerous.

Funnily enough though, my girlfriend is scared of them. I mentioned recently buying one to prove its ineffectiveness to a friend, and she kinda freaked out. She doesn't believe it has any mystical or supernatural powers, but she does for some reason believe that it can psychologically affect people who use it...

That's probably true, but only people who buy into the nonsense and set themselves up to be freaked out by it.

In reality, it's just a board with no function. Humans make it say what it says, and humans then ascribe meaning to that. There's nothing funny going on, all is explained by human psychology, and if you don't buy into the occult nonsense that people like to perpetuate, then it has absolutely 0 chance of harming you.

Having said that, please feel free to continue your policy of not going anywhere near them. At best, it's a waste of time. At worst, still just a waste of time.

• I have one, it belonged to my mother. Many (20 odd) years ago we used it, I'm not sure, there were messages, some pleasant, some not so. For sure, it works, I like the idea of it being mind controlled, ghosts are off my list of things to believe in :)

It "works" in the sense that it produces coherent messages in answer to questions. But, like you say, it's just psychology of the people participating, and not the action of any supernatural beings.

• There is alot of mambo-jambo about it, but beware though. Dont be a moron and use one. It is not about the board itselfe, but your willpower and urge to reach out, that calls for energies you do not want to meet. They wont be long gone relatives that comes to the calling.

Nothing will come calling at all.

The output of a ouija board is determined by the humans using it, and by nothing else.

Having said that, humans are capable of terrible thoughts, so it's no wonder that the messages often have such a sordid, occult content to them.

Also, if a human sets out to have a profound/important experience using one, they probably will, though only because they've prepared to have such an experience, and then forced it to happen.

No group of skeptics have ever sat down and had a spooky experience. No group of believers under controlled conditions (blindfolded, board moved to unexpected angles, etc) have had a spooky experience. Only people who set out to have a spooky experience under uncontrolled conditions have a spooky experience, and it's entirely a product of their mind.