Ouija ... is it dangerous ?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• When I was a sproglet our Mum used to sometimes hold 'Ouija type seances ...
    I was too young to join in but would eavesdrop out of curiosity.
    One time things got very heavy and out of control with ornaments
    flying about the room and breaking and Mum never tried again.

I think perhaps the 'ritual' of using 'Ouija' might open a portal that should remain shut.
    Do bitter and twisted 'earth-bound souls' use this type of summoning to wreak mischief ?

Have you had any bad experiences of this type ?

• I think its certainly very weird when messed about with .
    {in my experiance years ago }

OK , i"ll give an instance ,
    I was brought up in an Orphanage , no one in the room new ,
    Thats my business and i never dwell on the past , so never need to have to declare it .
    I never new who my Mother was , or my Father , and i believe i have Brothers and Sisters .

One nite doing the Board , it blurted out all my personal details ,
    Including a message off some one who claimed to be my Mother and saying she was very Sorry .

The people in the room knowing me for yrs but not knowing my background , it was as if they got thinking i had been leading a Double Life from who they thought i was .

Dam Spooky if you ask me :)

Does anything in life realy matter as long as the Kettles still working .

The post was edited 2 times, last by solo1 ().

• ....... but seriously now.

I have seen a on a couple of occasions where people have shit themselves partaking in a ouiji session, heard about a woman who had made/bought one as a teenager, when she settled down to raise a family she had several miscarriages, then when clearing out her garage one day she found the old board and chucked it on the fire with other stuff, after that she had 3 healthy children ... :eek:

• ....... but seriously now.

I have seen a on a couple of occasions where people have shit themselves partaking in a ouiji session, heard about a woman who had made/bought one as a teenager, when she settled down to raise a family she had several miscarriages, then when clearing out her garage one day she found the old board and chucked it on the fire with other stuff, after that she had 3 healty children ... :eek:

Got to agree Wurzel , something strange about those things .

• In and of itself I don't think it's dangerous. How it's used could have consequences, perhaps. I personally stay away because I'm not that well grounded physically and have some psyche probs.

I rigged a seance when I was 18. 3 out 5 mates, incl. me, were in on it, so 2 were duped, quite majorly. I had strings everywhere, it went on for hours, and they totally believed everything...even the "DEATH TO ALL"..i wrote in scrabble pieces whilst everyone was panicking outside following the latest object to appear to fly across the room. One took it well, the other not so well and even got me back. It was funny but potentially very irresponsible. I't's hard to regret cos it's still spoken about now, 20 years on.

• For me Ouija is similar to Tarot, embrace the concept, absorb the energy, respect the spirits - understand the background and meaning/s and act accordingly - Messages are messages - in what you do with witch will be key

• I loosely follow a Christian path, so Ouija, card reading, white witches, et al; and any other form of hocus pocus does not appeal to me at all. Which is not to say it's all a crock of s**t, because I do believe that they can tap into another side.

We are a mere toy in the hands of the unknown!

I take great comfort "trying" to stick to an illuminated route!

• Ouija boards are bad news and on the two occasions ive used one it has been horrific.
    Not going into details but Personally i near shat myself.
    Tarot is a whole different thing and i beleive that is the friendliest way to connect with spirit.
    Almost every single person i have ever spoke to regarding Ouija boards has had a bad experience with them.
    I do beleive that Ouija opens a portal to allow spirit through and in most cases the dark side.
    Up to you if you choose to participate in this but be warned!

• Ouija boards are bad news and on the two occasions ive used one it has been horrific.
    Not going into details but Personally i near shat myself.
    Tarot is a whole different thing and i beleive that is the friendliest way to connect with spirit.
    Almost every single person i have ever spoke to regarding Ouija boards has had a bad experience with them.
    I do beleive that Ouija opens a portal to allow spirit through and in most cases the dark side.
    Up to you if you choose to participate in this but be warned!

Have to agree with you about the Ouija Board .

Have heard some folks say there just a laugh !!!

Ive been in company with some using the board , { years ago } i dont believe in Hocus Pocus , but bloody hell , there was some strange shit coming into play . and certainly was better when we closed the board down , {or can we , that they say is the problem risk . }

• Used it on and of as a teenager but would'nt go there again

Ditto.

We used to mess around as kids with a ouija board, initially it was just a laugh with people kicked the table legs and pretending it was spirits. Then one day we all had the shit scared out of us after we connected with a real sprit and I certainly will never go near a ouija board again.

• I believe strongly that you do not need any paraphernalia to connect with spirit, however, if you are doing a reading or a healing for someone else, they often feel more comfortable with something they can see or touch - cards, etc. The knowledge comes from within, not an artifact.

• Never touched one. Not really interested. However I interviewed many different representatives of the spiritualist community when I worked on a features desk for a radio station; from the guy who read my cards and told me my sister watched over me from the other side (one guess how many siblings I have..) to the healer I have to thank for getting rid of the hip pain I had from competitive swimming and putting me up in his haunted (never noticed anything) guest room.
    I think some people are more receptive than others; depending on the stage of life that you are in and probably what your scores on the big 5 affect receptiveness to paranormal experience. Must look up the data on that.

If anyone wants to read an interesting clinical case regards ouija boards, Paul Britton documented one in his book 'Picking up the pieces'. Described in the review as 'a woman possessed, supposedly after a ouija board encounter' it really is very interesting to read though the case doesn't quite live up to the review.

• Having said all that and going an itsy bit off topic; my husband, a man I would generally say is as receptive to supernatural experience as your average brick was chased out of a cottage by 'something' along with two brothers that really did not want anyone to stay. They didn't return for their deposit. Seemingly, it was how the guy made extra money, letting a ultra creepy cottage with a ....sitting tenant ...with a chip on it's shoulder. I can't remember when it was but my husband wasn't a hormonal teen at the time and none of the brothers were known for running away from things but this was something else. Fights in bars don't throw furniture across the room at you invisibly; something wanted them out.
    I've only ever stayed in two haunted places, a friends flat and the guest bedroom above; I was told lots of stories, I never experienced anything. It's probably me has the receptiveness of a brick then.

• It's only as dangerous as you make it... because the thing about Ouija is that you (and your friends) make the entire experience. You and your friends make the thing move, you and your friends choose the letters, you and your friends ascribe meaning to the movements, and you and your friends then live your life according to your judgments of those meanings.

There is nothing 'spiritual' or 'supernatural' at work, it is all just human psychology. So is it dangerous? Well, definitely not in an occult way. But what you choose to do with your experience can make it dangerous. But I assure you, it's all in your mind.

• Human psychology is supernatural and what manifests from any experience is real, or as real as anyones awarness allows it. Personally, i like my 'known reality' distinct from any 'non ordinary reality' that occurs and so i'd like to have some reason to feel that it was on my path, carefully select the people that i experienced it with. Too much and the human pschology just closes down, blanks it as a fear and then later re logs it as a mental breakdown or as ghost fest. i mean does everyone experience the same experience or is the experience justified by some united collective hysteria conciousnessness. Most often i think that people get from the experience what they intended to get, that is freaked out and head fucked:insane:

• Human psychology is supernatural and what manifests from any experience is real, or as real as anyones awarness allows it. Personally, i like my 'known reality' distinct from any 'non ordinary reality' that occurs and so i'd like to have some reason to feel that it was on my path, carefully select the people that i experienced it with. Too much and the human pschology just closes down, blanks it as a fear and then later re logs it as a mental breakdown or as ghost fest. i mean does everyone experience the same experience or is the experience justified by some united collective hysteria conciousnessness. Most often i think that people get from the experience what they intended to get, that is freaked out and head fucked:insane:

So, you're basically taking the stance that there's no such thing as objective reality, and therefore Ouija genuinely does work for those who believe it does, because only subjectivity exists?

• Man, there is no unified objective reality we all have our own realities and the ability of rhetoric to persuade to unify or rebel to our perspective. Yeah, ouija genuinely does work for those that walk that path, for those whose awareness allows for an observation of what it is they know. I mean Einstein layed out that Whether you can observe a thing or not depends on the theory which you use. The theory decides what can be observed. That observation allows for the shift in perspective and as soon as a flow between observing and action forms then there is no solid position of observation, it sort of escalates into a 'non ordinary reality' and my reality is 'non ordinary' enough to not warrant entering the realm of the ouija. Once that lid is cracked open then it is here to stay, after that 'mowing the lawn' and going to work gets kinda irrelevant. And the lawn does need a mowing if you get the metaphorical drift. ;)