tyros first BIG project

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• hi all

so im starting a new conversion project with either a mk7 transit jumbo or a vw crafter lwb im creating this thread to document my work and my planning from this weekend when i plan to buy the van.

ill be living in it from the get go so ill be working almost every day and i go into some fair depth when working things out so some of you may be interested this will be my first documented build and since i have no idea on how to do a website like http://vandogtraveller.com/ or a blog it will all be here.

firstly here are some cad models im starting with
    render 2nd batch 2.JPG
    render 2nd batch.JPG
    i will be fitting extra seats, auxiliary heating, auxiliary power, beds, hot and cold water, insulation and tech (its gotta have gadgets) into the van and ill give as much detail as i can

• Solidwork and I scratch made the model from this diagram

A few noticeable differences but the rear interior is bob on I will review it when I have the actual van though

• It's great to lie back on your bed each night, looking around your project with satisfaction and working out the best way to solve various problems and dilemmas. It leads to a better, more usable home I think.
    I like your interest in gadgets - there's tremendous pleasure in kitting your home out with clever toys!
    All the best with it Tyros; I'm really looking forward to following your blog here - already impressed with this here CAD johnny.

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is meant to be serious.

• thanks lionheart engineering is my passion and i love to think of new ways around problems hence below where im about to geek out

speaking of which im looking into extending the fitted heating loop around the rear of the van giving underfloor heating and an auxiliary heater at the rear has anyone ever tried this?

i was going to take off after the four-port valve that the stock heater controls and divert is using 22mm copper around between the insulation and the finished floor so when the heater is on so it the floor and through that the feed to the rear heater probably fitting a 12v circulation pump to help and maybe even a 12v inline electric preheater so i can warm up on battery power or mains hookup. im planning on fitting a fair amount of amp hours but i dont want lpg heating if i can avoid it.

on a further nerd rage im looking into a carputer with a bluetooth engine code reader, multiple displays, sensors and controls
    oh and a slide out solar panel rack that acts as a solid awning.

to the cad!

• Great Tyro looking forward to seeing your updates pics and info
    Yep got to agree that Mike Hudson - vandog traveller has a brilliant site. I keep an eye on his journey frequently.
    Hes getting a few thousand hits too and in just a short space of time. Brilliant stuff.
    Marketing, web site, travelling genius.
    Mike I hate you....:pp

• Hey Tyro
    Dreamweaver is a good package for building sites and if your a lazy arse like me and cant or dont have time to learn how to program in html or any other pc language then dreamweaver allows you to do it in drag and drop and fiddle about with the visuals. (the programming will be slightly messy doing that way and it will be slower to load but one youve built your site you can rope in a web building friend to tidy it up for you.)
    There is also www.wix.com which is a drag n drop web builder package simple to use thats what im using the now.
    Oh and blogs are quite simple ...Blogspot or wordpress just log in set up a user name etc etc and bobs yer aunt and fanny's yer uncle.

• The under floor heating thing is something ive thought about but i dont think it will work, it will cause the engine to run too cold. There will be too much water to heat and the extra water will put the water pump under excessive pressure.
    If you use a propex or eberspacher heater u could diver hot air under the floor but i dont know if that would cause damp problems

• The under floor heating thing is something ive thought about but i dont think it will work, it will cause the engine to run too cold.

i know what you mean if it was an external heat loss that would be the case but since the heat loss is in a well insulated place this shouldn't be a problem

There will be too much water to heat and the extra water will put the water pump under excessive pressure.

i thought about this thats why i mentioned a 12 circulation pump to assist.

If you use a propex or eberspacher heater u could diver hot air under the floor but i dont know if that would cause damp problems

im reluctant to spend more than a bag of sand on a second heat source and bottles etc when a heat source exists under the bonnet im funny like that i know diesels arent very efficient when they are idling but im hoping this is absorbed as heat in one way or another i was also thinking of a late exhaust coil to pick up heat. all these things i can fabricate myself.

• If you're worried about engine water temp.
    Use a system like in a house where a coil heats a tank of water. Then have a 12v circulation pump to circulate the separate under floor system. Make sure you have a valve to allow switching to normal mode for quick engine heat ups. Its not that difficult really. :)

• If you're worried about engine water temp.
    Use a system like in a house where a coil heats a tank of water. Then have a 12v circulation pump to circulate the separate under floor system. Make sure you have a valve to allow switching to normal mode for quick engine heat ups. Its not that difficult really. :)

that was the plan mate im gadget heavy so ill have enough batteries to run a pre-heater. after abit of research i found that the crafter and transits heating water flow is controlled by a four port valve so if i tap off after this i can run the entire heating system from the knob in the cab

• hello ,
    just looking at your plan , have you not thought of swivel front seat s ,big space gain, no need for one double seat in back ,ive put a swivel base on my double passenger and drivers in mk7 transit , opens all the van , then a double drop down seat on sliders in back to make bed with feet resting on spun round front seats ,works great just another way to think of.

• hello ,
    just looking at your plan , have you not thought of swivel front seat s ,big space gain, no need for one double seat in back ,ive put a swivel base on my double passenger and drivers in mk7 transit , opens all the van , then a double drop down seat on sliders in back to make bed with feet resting on spun round front seats ,works great just another way to think of.

If I recall a previous conversation, he needs the extra seats for his children.

• hello ,

as fire-tree remembered correctly lol i need 7 seats unfortunately so that wouldnt work well