Yurt/ Ger in high winds (haven't found a way to switch the wind off in yorkshire yet!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hi I hope this is in the right place if its not i'm sorry

We have a mongolian yurt that we managed to build a base for and get up in september/ october time can't remember exactly when now, time doesn't keep track of me very well. All seemed to be ok after much stress of getting to that point and we were just waiting for our stove to be made by julian so we could get in properly but as the law of sod always goes a couple of days before christmas we had gales and the yurt shifted about a foot in one side but fortunately didn't fall off its base because of the bits of wood we'd screwed down around the outside as we were afraid of it falling off being our first time with a yurt. Anyway we panicked added about 100m of rope to it to lash it down and then when the wind dropped roped in everyone on hand to get it put back on kilta, then put some more blocks on on the inside of the lattice work this time to try and reassure us this couldn't happen again. We were good and back on track or so we thought but today/ last night we had high winds again and now the bottom hasn't shifted but the top seems to be leaning abit (the door isn't vertical). Everythings holding where it is and when the winds drop we will shove it back in line again but what I want to ask is has this happened to anyone else before with any kind of yurt/ ger/ bender and if so could you possibly give us some advice of what you did to stop it happening or if its down to us putting it up wrong (we followed the instruction manual that came with it). Sorry if we are being a complete pair of muppets but we would really appreciate the help if anyone can offer us any.

Would actually love to hear from anyone who has had a yurt of any kind with experiences, tips etc as we've both scoured the internet looking for information and stories both before we took the plunge and after but I'm guessing if you're trying to fly under the radar you don't really publicise what you are doing so the majority of what we found was from abroad.

Hope no one else is blowing away in the wind and that the winds will bugger off soon :)

• Two friends I know lived in a tepee for several years. One morning both woke up to see nothing but clouds (sky) and the canvas and poles of the teepee, were about 60 yards away in the next field. Shit happens and it was extreme wind that you experienced. Try to reduce wind exposure by fencing, planting, move position or tie down better. Resettling your yurt from time to time is just part of living with it. Tie (anchor) to very large stones with strong rope at intervals around the yurt. This will allow movement in high winds, but reduce chance of blow away or tension stress damage to yurt.

• Hi I dont know if you have come across this website [www.yurtforum.com] lots of usefull stuff on there maybe worth a look.

• It sounds as if your yurt is sited somewhere really exposed. Is it not possible to move it a bit so that it isn't trying to fend off hurricanes? I know it probably sounds stupid and I'm sure you've already put it in the best place you can but it was just a thought. I'd agree with windbreaks as AW says. Not a solid wall of trees but spaced out and preferably several lines so the wind is broken up rather than trying to stop it. Your stove is all ready and waiting to warm you up!

• We had been thinking along the lines of making wind breaks from reed matting and then growing things up them to hide them from view as much but we didn't really know if we were barking up the wrong tree or not. The site is a bit exposed from the direction we're getting trouble but not as much as not would think there is a stretch of open lawn but beyond that fences and buildings hence why we didn't think it would be an issue. Strange thing is we read all the guidelines they gave us as to where to site it and in relation to wind it just said not the brow of a hill (we're kinda down in the valley), not on the coast (Yorkshire) and don't leave the door open in a Gale. So lots of head scratching. Just hoping to hell it survives the high winds tomorrow then the weather calms down and we can start trying to incorporate wind break type things into the garden up wind.

So excited the stoves ready, can't wait to get it in then we can get in :-)

• I lived in yurts for eleven years and only once had a problem in 110 mile an hour winds,and after that I made a point of making sure that it was well lashed down to large boulders. This however was a good solid yurt from woodland yurts in somerset.
    I bought a 21 footer from ulan bator in mongolia and had nothing but problems with it moving and leaning over until I could not reset the supporting poles again as it had moved to the end of the terrace,and every time that this happened (maybe every six months) it had to be taken down and rebuilt.
    Due to the dry climate in mongolia,I guess that a waterproof cover is not of huge importance either!! My british yurt never leaked in eight years of use,however my mongolian version leaked in any strong rain.
    I never did find out what the fault was with the mongolian construction,but the one thing that I did learn from that experience was that if you want a good and solid mongolian yurt,buy it in britain !!!!!!

What is that american phrase - go figure

I hope that you find out how to have a good solid ger soon. your yurt should be able to hold up against any winds that blow your way.

good luck

Love and light

Fly xx

p.s You can not go wrong with one of julians well made and efficient burners.I bought one off him a few years and a couple of vans ago and it is still as good as new.

• Wind control is nearly a science. If you thought a sturdy continuous fence would be best placed. Chances are you would create a vortex on the opposite side of the fence to the wind. This can be calculated, as the vortex will equate foot to foot by the hight of the fence. eg: a 6 foot high fence would create a vortex 8 foot away, on the other side of the fence. The higher the fence, the further away the vortex will be from the fence. The best wind break is one that has equal spaced gaps in it. ( a bit like missing teeth) this reduces the chance of vortex build up. I don't know the exact equations for the vortex theory, but its out there somewhere. In your case, it could be made worse as a result of, buildings/ fences or trees already affecting or channelling the wind-flow.

• A well constructed yurt should need no wind break. Its conical form was created with the strong winds on the mogolian steps in mind. Just a few large stones around it so that you can throw a couple of ropes over it when a storm comes will suffice. The mongolians always chose to use stones instead of pegs as they did not want to upset mother nature by driving pegs into the earth.