Homeless people

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Well i'm just putting up a thread about this, because its close to my heart, not from experience, but because i see alot of people on the streets, and i always, no matter how busy i am, make time to stop and have a chat. Ive had a month off work over xmas, and ive met a few new people, Shaun, who was in a sorry state, but full of conversation and we had a tea together, or a cappucino in his case. A guy called Martin, ive seen him for years on the same corner so i get along well with him, all it takes is a can of cola and a pork pie and its like all his birthdays came at once. Today i saw a guy come into a sandwhich bar but i dont think he had enough to buy any food from what i observed while i sat down. When i went outside he was sat in a doorway with his dog so i asked if he needed any bits which he thanked but refused, so as i turned to walk away i turned back and asked about the dog, so ended up buying some food for the pooch and got him somthing to eat anyway for himself. His name was Ed, and the smile on his face when i came back 15 minutes later with the dog food was lovely. I also remember seeing Ed walking down a street a while ago, ranting, very angry, and people were staying well away. I dont know what the issue was, it was when i came back i recognised him, but he seemed really down to earth, good to chat with.
    I would like to see more people stopping and making time for these people, alot of people say they only got themselves to blame for it, but i dont believe this, and i gotta be honest, everyone i have got to know on the streets is a real great person inside. How do you guys feel on the situation?

• Same as you, i always stop and enquire about if they would like something to eat or something warm to drink. I bought a man selling the big issue some lunch the other day, and he had been stood there all day, and had only sold one, as people ignore him, or purposely take a different route to avoid him. It really annoys me when people ignore the homeless, as if the problem doesn't exist if they don't see it, and like we aren't all only two paychecks away from being homeless ourselves.

• Many moons ago i was homeless. One of the worst things for me was been ignored as if i was a nothing a nobody. Hence i always stop and chat my children are aware of homelessness and how fortunate they are to have a warm dry bed. A place to call home.

• This remind me of something which happened a few years ago.. It was cold and icey , my husband was sitting on a bench waiting for me. He had long hair and a full shaggy beard. He also had a cloth bag with his work trainers tied to them (he was wearing proper boots because of the ice) and also a jumper in a plastic bag, also tied to his cloth bag.. His coat was torn and he looked very cold waiting for me... As I walked to him, he was chatting to a stranger who thought he was homeless.. Apparently 2 other people came up to him! He didn't mind, touched that people were very kind, but it always makes me think that someone might not actually be homeless...

• Ive been homeless not for a long time now thankfully and got to know a great many people in various places and most of them could prob write a book about how they came to the now,if I see a big issue seller I give them a quid but dont take the issue,but I dont just give because somebody asks me some people are on the blag, Something being touted by one of the homeless charity's is that by giving money to homeless people you are basically hurting them not helping them and so should give your money to the charity.

A hot cup of coffee is always welcome and you also get the buzz that somebody cares enough to buy you it.

• :hippy:always give a coupla quid... i never tell em how to spend it-being patronized is the last thing you need when youre down on your luck and need a bevvy or whatever for temp relief; btw the xmas big issue was a well worth 3qd;)

• I too try to stop and talk to homeless people. I've given food, fags, clothes whatever they've needed. Mostly, just a friendly chat.

Sometimes I forget myself, and feel the training I've received from society kicking in, and I start despising them . Why are we made to think these humans are less valuable than ourselves?

• You're right, Fire-Tree. It is the conditioning of society. I have seen, especially over the last 20 - 30 years, a big push in a 'winners and losers' attitude, from school upwards all through life, and highly encouraged by education, business, and advertising. The people at the front of the pack, they have to be looked up to, even though we know they are the biggest lot of crooks going. The losers at the back, they are said to be rubbish, they didn't make it, did they, so they don't deserve anything. It is a vile attitude, but all too common now.
    It was not always so. When I was a kid, somebody down on their luck was just somebody down on their luck, and therefore to be given an helping hand if you could. We were quite poor and lived in a small place, but my father would invite tramps back for a meal, if he found them wandering in the village, and give them a bed for the night in our garden shed on a spare mattress. (In the morning he would cunningly direct them to the village police station, where they could apparently obtain a shilling, before they moved on!).

Most of that fellow-feeling seems to have gone now, except amongst the poorer people in society, who often try to help each other where they can.

• I remember my dad RIP bringing homeless men back home for the night when I was a child, and his paternal grandmother RIP used to feed the homeless from her shop and let them rest in the warm stockroom with a mug of hot cocoa in the winter. Times sure are different now, I agree.

• Good to see some people on the same wavelength. I always get food and a drink for them, even if they refuse my offer, as Ed did this week. People are juts walking down the street, and they seem more interested in the half naked man or woman on the poster in the shop window than by the guy sat in the gutter next to it, makes me sick. If they spent an hour in the other guys shoes i bet it would soon change the way they approach things.

• I am "homeless" at the moment, been here before, circumstances have combined in a bad way to put me here however the only way is up...eventually! Am on the streets daily, and really appreciate the help from a coffee, chat, smoke or a bit to eat. The churches round the city here (derby) have a rota of being open as shelters every night, some hot food and really nice and friendly voulenteers. Its so needed as squats etc are hard to find as we know and the streets are cold. So a topic close to my heart right now, hopefully soon can be out of the vicious circle. Peace out x

• Just getting onto this forum properly having joined ages ago.
    I've just moved home from London and saw so much homelessness everywhere there. Really sucks.

• Walked over to a guy shivering in the doorway of the local cathedral once and said "you look cold", "I'm fine", "do you like pasties", "yeah", "do you like coffee", "yeah", and so handed him a pasty and a coffee I'd bought for him (or me, if he wasn't into them), wished him well and turned to walk off. At that point I saw his face totally change from utter suspicion to massive confusion and gratitude (disproportionate gratitude to the sub-£4 gift).

His reactions left me thinking, what had he expected me to do or say that made what I did do or say so surprising (religious proselytising maybe?) and how had he come to expect this (bitter experience?). I'm glad he had something hot to eat and drink. I'm glad he liked the present, but more than anything I was left wondering, fuck, what kind of world do I live in?

• They can be very wary, but then it would't surprise me if someone said "do you like coffee?" and if they said yes, threw it in their face.

I was managing a charity shop in London and we had some socks, sleeping bags and blankets we couldn't sell, so I found a homeless person sitting on some cardboard and offered to bring them back in 5 minutes. In that time they had disappeared. I was kind of annoyed as I had genuinely spent time picking out the nicest things, making sure they would fit [picked out full change of warm clothes]. As I got older, I realised it was suspicion of others. Indeed, what a strange society we live in.

• I am "homeless" at the moment, been here before, circumstances have combined in a bad way to put me here however the only way is up...eventually! Am on the streets daily, and really appreciate the help from a coffee, chat, smoke or a bit to eat. The churches round the city here (derby) have a rota of being open as shelters every night, some hot food and really nice and friendly voulenteers. Its so needed as squats etc are hard to find as we know and the streets are cold. So a topic close to my heart right now, hopefully soon can be out of the vicious circle. Peace out x

I hope you're off the streets very soon in a safe dry warm and comfortable home Gordo.

Homelessness makes me feel so angry.

• A nice thread to read, it put a smile on ,my face, maybe hippies are more sympathetic than most folk but it's nice when people take time out to chat to or help the homeless after all they are only people like us.
    I remember, one Christmas eve, stopping for a drink with some in a shop doorway in the centre of Oxford whilst the regular folk just tootled on by ignoring us all. There were even a couple of regular characters near where I lived who I knew by name, proper old school special brew / cider drinkers, but the happy type, always laughing to themselves.
    I haven't seen any over here in the Welsh hills but then it is a bit wild
    you'd need army training to live it rough round here.

• Myself and a few friends went helping the homeless at Christmas in Manchester, handing out clothing and food. We got so much thanks, was heart-warming. I know we will do it every year now. Not only does it feel good helping others, it's just the right thing to do.

I always give money when I can. Really want to make a difference.

• im homeless just now, i really hate it. People often don't understand how a young female can be homeless with no money or help what soever... It makes me warm and fuzzy when i hear about people helping my fellow homeless guys

• I try to help when I can. I remember giving a pizza to a chap in Brighton on my wedding day. He gave the first slice to his dog which made me well up. No matter how bad his situation was he made sure his dog was ok. Really lovely.
    Hope you get sorted Caitlin x