Budget van insulation idea - will it work?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Post by Fire-Tree ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
  • Post by Fire-Tree ().

• If you've got access to all those carpet tilers then why not just use them, sandwiched together, back to back (rubber to rubber) to the required depth? Tile the van with them. Surely then the layers of rubber will have some decent insulatiion properties?

Yesterdays gone, tomorrows a mystery, today's a gift, that's why its called the present.

• Let us know how you get on Fire tree im glad you sound like you are getting one your feet.
    If you get time maybe you could post pics id like to see :-)

• Any insulation is better than nothing. If you have plenty of bubble wrap, use several layers. It's worth checking out different places for the foil backed stuff, it can be surprisingly cheap. Often B&Q or wickes do two for ones as well. It's good stuff for the money and works really well. Maybe if funds are short you could put a layer of foil then a couple of layers of ordinary, I reckon that would work pretty well, certainly better than newspaper, which goes very soggy if it gets damp!

• Post by Fire-Tree ().

• I once insulated a van with bin bags stuffed with rock wool(God was i skint). Worked surprisingly well. Any insulation is good insulation) I made sure that there was no gaps in the panelling though and the most important thing is to air your home for a while every day. The cheapest way to get foil covered bubble wrap is to buy insulated tarp from one of the really big army surplus stores (Exeter and Plymouth come to mind) it tends to have silver coated bubble wrap sandwiched in between two layers of tarp.

• ive just done my roof with a few old camping mats and a roll of the bubble insulation, layer up whatever you have on hand!

2 tins of trim spay glue off ebay was well worth a tenna, makes it simple.

• Post by Fire-Tree ().

• does loft insulation work, just a thought its often sold at b an q and theres the anti itch stuff made from old plastic bottles, if you could fix battons and membrane on surface of cosy wrap then youd be able to fix boarding out to that.

• If you're not fussy about what type you use there are usually people giving away off cuts of insulation on freecycle and the like if you're willing to go and collect it from them. Would end up a mix and match but would be time put in rather than money

• This is really helpful to me cos im gonna do my insulation soon as well. Folk just said to get some leftover kingspan from a some house insolation job. Might try the bubble wrap/newspaper idea tho.

• underseal expensive ? go in any motor spares place, tin of brush on underseal about a tenner tops

Aye in 1950 lol.

If you find off cuts of kingspan in a skip, inch stuff ll be easier to fit, but nowadays standard stuff used in houses is 2inch 3 inch and 4 inch, if you get all simular thickness offcuts can be taped together, i ve started using sticky foil tape on insulation jobs its the dogs it sticks the sheets together and prevents any gaps or the sheets falling out if a bad fit (in vans i guess) not on my jobs i may add, i use expandind foam to fill any gaps and cut off when cured then foiul tape over,

Dont know if thats any help in the van world . Ps dam tape can be pricey it averaged 12 to 16 quid a roll but it stuck better than duck tape.

• Post by Raffi ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • Fire-Tree, where are you based? And what sort of van do you have? Insulation is so important, so if you can spend a little money on things like underseal or a roll of bubblefoil (one smallish roll did the walls and ceiling of my van and it cost me £10, then £5 on sale for another) then it's best to go for it. When I was doing mine, I kept having to fight off my 'Ohhh I'll just have to manage!' thoughts to get the job done properly.

If you do go for carpet tiles then make sure you are *meticulous* about covering up any gaps or bits of bare metal. And don't cut corners by going straight over any bumps or ridges etc in the metalwork. You'll need to get a tight fit against the bare metal otherwise once the damp/condensation creeps in (which it inevitably will... humans produce a crazy about of water vapour breathing) then you'll end up with bits peeling off. Any air pockets will expand as well as the heat in the van is increased and this will make bits peel off too. Keep a can of decent carpet adhesive (I use evostick) with you once you're out on the road for any quick repairs.

So excited to hear you are making progress! Keep us updated with pictures please :)

• The objective is to trap Air, in almost all insulations air is the active component in a void it can move and convect moving heat around but when it's trapped heat can only move by radiation witch is slow through air so trap as much air as possible in a non-thermal conductor like rock in rockwool Kingston is made similar to.aero chocolate co2 or nitrogen is bubbled through the.liquid foam the a vacuum is applied to expand the bubbles a few hundred percent resulting in millions of tiny thermos flasks the only thing better than air at insulating is vacuum

• Post by Fire-Tree ().

• Two ways heat escapes anything conduction and radiation radiation is easy go to a climate centre ask for bright foil tape its cheap and easily applied the it stops radiation dead apply to the inside surface of the van the entire thing cover this with an air trapper to stop convection then close off with a non thermal conductor like wood to stop conduction. Foil, rockwool, wood tongue and groove looks well sorry if I'm confusing this is my trade

• Post by Fire-Tree ().

• How many trades do you have? I thought you worked with phone data?!?

I'm really confused. I have a LWB high roof transit. I'm not covering that in tape!

Can't get started or excited about van until I get it mechanically checked out. Then I will celebrate. Family and friends don't know yet.

Lol I look after the heatimg and refrigeration plant in the data centre if it fails the servers overheat quickly

The tape is just a base layer to reflect heat back into the van you won't see it when finished its cheap and easy only reason I suggested it.

• Two ways heat escapes anything conduction and radiation radiation is easy go to a climate centre ask for bright foil tape its cheap and easily applied the it stops radiation dead apply to the inside surface of the van the entire thing cover this with an air trapper to stop convection then close off with a non thermal conductor like wood to stop conduction. Foil, rockwool, wood tongue and groove looks well sorry if I'm confusing this is my trade

Whats the tape called? Any chance of a link to it?
    Im assuming you dont mean the tape used to join sheets of kingspan as its not that cheap and doesnt seem to stick to anything except foil.