Solar Energy Calculator

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hi there,

I was wondering if someone could possibly provide some assistance. I'm looking to buy a small place a rural Scotland that's totally off grid and in need of complete renovation.

My idea was to install a small 1.6KW Solar Panel system for my electricity needs with the possibility of small wind turbine in due course.

Now my question is, how do I judge if the roof of the property is suitable for Solar Panels, I've already visited the place but I can't give any specifics about the roof direction, inclination nor the size, which at the time I didn't know I would be going down this route.

Are there any resources or calculators out there that can provide such information preferably whereby I can do a search on Google Maps or equivalent and find my desired property and select, something that will give me accurate results on suitability.

All the calculators I've seen online, I have to generally provide the roof area and direction which I don't have the info off hand, I personally don't want to do another 700 miles round trip just to find out the details.

Surely there must be an App or website where I can just input the postcode and find the property and get the desired results, maybe I'm not so clued up as my search to date hasn't really provided a simplified answer.

I don't want to contact Solar Energy Companies directly as all they seem to want to do is flog me an over priced system that I don't necessarily know will be suitable or not.

Any help will be warmly received.

Many thanks in advance.

• Just phone one of the solar com get me to do a surv. They do it on there laptops just need post code and house no. They will tell you if suitable and then you just say I'll think about it.

• It wasn't really the answer I was looking for, I was hoping that there would be resources out there that I could investigate independently without resorting to external Solar Companies, what I don't understand the Solar business in worth billions of pounds, but nobody seems to have a product / Application that I can use to get the efficiency of Solar Panel Installation on a specific property.

Google Maps is very useful however the Google imagery isn't very good as the property is pretty remote. Other mapping has similar issues. With regard to Solar Companies providing facts about how suitable a particular property is pretty flawed from the offset, most companies are trying sell a system and no doubt it would be very difficult to get an impartial and honest answer from them. It's like going to your local bank and saying what is the best loan out there, naturally they'd say it's theirs!

If anyone else out there can assist it will be much appreciated.

• It wasn't really the answer I was looking for, I was hoping that there would be resources out there that I could investigate independently without resorting to external Solar Companies, what I don't understand the Solar business in worth billions of pounds, but nobody seems to have a product / Application that I can use to get the efficiency of Solar Panel Installation on a specific property.

Google Maps is very useful however the Google imagery isn't very good as the property is pretty remote. Other mapping has similar issues. With regard to Solar Companies providing facts about how suitable a particular property is pretty flawed from the offset, most companies are trying sell a system and no doubt it would be very difficult to get an impartial and honest answer from them. It's like going to your local bank and saying what is the best loan out there, naturally they'd say it's theirs!

If anyone else out there can assist it will be much appreciated.

Googlemaps may not be brilliant if you're remote, but can you at least see the house and see which way it's facing? The important thing is whether you have a good south facing roof. You really need to find that out before we can start thinking about anything really.

• There is a generic solar calculator which works on latitude and hours sunshine available at different times of year. Solar panel stats are worked out on spec and area, with optimum direction in the equation. I don't know if a calculator would be available to jo public or just for field reference. You can install panels on a frame and direction, panel quantity and Wattage can be a known factor. Only thing needed is potential sun predictions to work out a average output of any system. Would a company designing your system not try to give you a accurate quotation? if not they could be cowboys.

• If Scotland's anything like Ireland you won't get many cloud free days. I did a one day course on solar voltaic a few years back, and a solar panel will only give it's rated output in full sunshine. I watched a meter (can't remember if it was a voltmeter or ammeter now) drop to about 10% of it's rated output as soon as the sun hid behind a cloud.

I'd go for a wind turbine if the house isn't surround by other houses or trees, you're likely to get more wind and of course it works night and day.

There are applications for that, they were privately developed by business' to make them more profitable than their competitors.
    So they are not in the public domain.
    Why should I give you a quote for free when you turn around and get somebody else to the work?
    Quotes actually take time and effort, but they are done for 'free' in the expectation that you will get the job.

I stopped giving quotes when I spent an entire week doing nothing but quotes and did not get a single job, because everybody was 'convinced' they were being ripped off and they could get a better price somewhere else.

If you are that far off grid and up country, you will probably find that the big companies won't be interested in you.

But try www.bimblesolar.com , their web site is very helpful.
    :beard:

• http://www.bimblesolar.com/solarcalc :rofl:[h=1]Now you know how much power you need,[/h]

Please bare in mind you should always over spec by a lot to cater for english winters. We would advise 50%-100% over if you plan to run entirely from solar over winter months, and ensuring you have a very large battery bank as well.

How far south is English? I know I can discount Scotland going the other way. Looks like they don't ask if your south facing/latitude but they can sell you a system that you design. Just add more panels to be on the safe side eh! :whistle: