Homemade antifreeze?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• After reading on facebook about someone's cat who was recently poisoned by antifreeze, and seeing a suggestion that vinegar can be used as an alternative, I just spent the evening googling for homemade antifreeze recipes.

I haven't found many recommendations for vinegar if I'm honest. Has anyone else tried it? Given how often stories of poisoning (particularly in cats) seem to come up these days, I'm surprised there aren't more suggestions out there for alternatives. I'm always conscious of the antifreeze in my washer bottles, and always wait till I'm on the open road and away from houses before I skoosh my windows to try and avoid poisoning puddles that might be used by pets. But this is just one sad story too many, and I'd like to find a non-toxic alternative.

Any suggestions?

• I see your point about trying to use none toxic Anti Freeze , but i think the amount of Engine Emissions and everything else Motor Vehicles do to the Planet ,using Toxic Windscreen Wash isnt the biggest worry .

But if your choice is to personally find an alternative , i would be very cautious in finding an alternative to those that are on the Market already recommended ,as it could be a bit costly replacing new tubing and wash bottle if they freeze up .

And dangerous if your screen freezes when your driving .

Does anything in life realy matter as long as the Kettles still working .

The post was edited 1 time, last by solo1 ().

• Anti freeze in the coolant system is nasty (though legally included in small quantities in many foods) but should not be present in the stuff you squirt on your windscreen as it destroys car paintwork.

• Anti freeze contains Monoethylene glycol (blue) which is toxic to animals (usually cats)

Anything which lowers the freezing point of water could be used:
    Salt does this but it increases the amount of rust forming inside the engine, which is why it isn't used.

Propylene Glycol is also available, if you can hunt for it. It is less toxic, and less tasty (sweet) but requires more used than the blue. So it is classed as more expensive. It is also approved as an additive to dog food!

Best place I can think of getting some is a marine chandlers, because of its lower toxicity.

HTH
    :beard:

• Thanks for the helpful comments. This is personal. Beachcomber politely didn't say so, but it was our poor kitten Charlie, who was a year old. He went from being a lovely playful jet black under your feet when you least expect it because you never saw him coming kitten, to being unable to walk, put on a drip feed, then heartbreakingly being put to sleep in the space of 24 hours. George Eustice, the bloody government minister just blocked a move to make it compulsory to put bitterant into antifreeze, which would make it less attractive to cats, despite some large petitions. Next move is that we've written to our MEP's to try and get Europe to regulate it. Halfords antifreeze already has this additive, so it is perfectly possible, there's no reason not to. Meantime we're gutted and our other cat is still looking for her brother :(

• That`s so sad Julian I remember reading when you guys got Charlie. George Eustice doesn`t give a shit about animals so that doesn`t surprise me in the slightest. I read an article in a veterinary magazine recently that said approx 50 cats per month are being admitted to be treated for this and that figure doesn`t include the ones who die before they make it to a vets. I really hope this campaign helps x

• Sorry to hear of that Julian :-( just something to throw out there, anybody who has used lathes etc, the coolant used in industry, i think they call it slocam! It looks like milk, it is oil based and a obviously a coolant, I'm not sure if it is harmful to animals but probably not attractive to them.

• Sorry to hear of that Julian :-( just something to throw out there, anybody who has used lathes etc, the coolant used in industry, i think they call it slocam! It looks like milk, it is oil based and a obviously a coolant, I'm not sure if it is harmful to animals but probably not attractive to them.

Thanks Wurzel. I had a lathe but sold it eventually, the coolant is usually just called suds. It's soluble oil and probably not very good for any animal but fortunately it tastes like engine oil!

• Thanks Wurzel. I had a lathe but sold it eventually, the coolant is usually just called suds. It's soluble oil and probably not very good for any animal but fortunately it tastes like engine oil!

Do you reckon it would be ok in vehicle engines too, it is a coolant, it is oil based so wont freeze!

• Do you reckon it would be ok in vehicle engines too, it is a coolant, it is oil based so wont freeze!

Nah mate.

Anti freeze needs a low freezing point, but also a high boiling point.
    Engines get hot, so your coolant would boil off.

That's why Vodka is not used as straight anti freeze. It boils off after the engine gets to working temperature.

Our best bet is to encourage motor factors to supply the 'cat friendly' product.
    And persuade Halfords to put it more prominently on display.

Or all start riding bicycles and use Tea as the anti freeze!!!

• I dont think this would help but getting in touch with
    Thornton Research ,
    {Part of Shell U.K}
    Oil Sites Road ,
    Ellesmere Port
    Cheshire .

They do all funny stuff there for the Government , like Research Engine Oil that doesnt Solidify when in a Nuclear Theatre of War from Gamma Rays etc .

The more i write the more i dont think there going to be to helpfull .
    But maybe Shell has something out on the commercial market they could recommend ?

• I did wonder about vodka (or Bacardi - I have that!). I'll see if I can get some of the halfords stuff next time I'm in town.

• I wonder how cats get to the antifreeze? It's either sealed in the engine or kept in a container with a screw top.

Antifreeze makes a pretty convenient poison for people who don't like cats. Sick, but it happens :(.

Accidental spills and splashes can also happen when topping up washer bottles, and pipes can burst and leak.

• It smells nice and tastes good (to cats and dogs)

So any spills are attractive.

Cats stand a better chance of licking enough off the ground.

Sadly it takes very little to make an animal sick. About a capful iirc

So be careful when you change the fluid in your radiator.

• This may be of interest regarding AntiFreeze http://www.remmington.info/ethylene_glycol.html .

It is hard to find actual Propylene Glycol antifreeze but pharmaceutical / food grade seems to be widely available, not sure how much it differs though.

I would not recommend using vinegar, it would possibly remove the rust from the system (I use neat vinegar to remove rust from components) but in turn fill your radiator with sludge, it would probably attack any aluminium components as well as your head gasket.