Living in a yurt or tipi

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Probably somewhere else on the site , can anyone lead me in the right direction re legalities to living in one of these on land. Thank you xx

• just the same as living in a van/bus/caravan/tent unless planning permission acquired, only allowed 28 days in any one year on any one site, unless its in the grounds of a residential property and you are registered with the council as part of that household for council tax purposes.

• Full or temp (limited time) residential if you intend to live on the land and in the described dwelling. You may also be required to apply for planning permission to place/store a vehicle/caravan in certain places/designated land types. Or if the planning dept think your taking the piss and are actually residing in something without planning permission. In which case, if planning permission is given for storage. That permission will come with conditions (NO RESIDING) and the full weight of the planning regs (law) could then be used against you. Like a £50 fine per day fine, if you continue to be in breach of planning and may result in removal of dwelling at your expense. If you apply for permission, it usually takes about six weeks for a decision, if they refuse permission, you can appeal to the secretary of state and this could buy you another six months for them to decide.

• So reading between the lines.. You could buy some land, put your yurt on it, live in it and apply for planning, if refused, can appeal, and there you go 7 months or so has passed? Is it common for yurts to be given planning in this type of situation?

• So reading between the lines.. You could buy some land, put your yurt on it, live in it and apply for planning, if refused, can appeal, and there you go 7 months or so has passed? Is it common for yurts to be given planning in this type of situation?

Not common at all to get planning permission on land, that otherwise wouldn't qualify for a 2 bed detached house. \the time period is an estimation. Usually when applying for planning 6 weeks is the time it takes for the District or County and Parish Council to meet and consider the planning application. After a planning app refusal and your right to appeal. The law states that the secretary of state must TRY and give the applicant a decision within 6 months. But the Sec of state can request longer to formalize their decision. Many of us buy land and move onto it. We wait (hopefully off radar) only applying for planning permission when the local authorities get involved and we are facing eviction. You could remain off radar indefinitely, the more remote location used to work in our favour (out of site out of mind) But with satellite mapping and quarterly updated aerial photographs landing on the planners desk, even remote is not out of reach these days.

• if you have some "requirement" to be on the land 24/7 you can force the issue to get permission to live on the land(check ben laws story about how he managed it ), managing some wierd animal setup would be one usage, but a clever person could probably come up with some scheme

• To legitimize what you are doing you need planning permission, plots with planning are expensive.

If you want a land based business then it's worth researching 'Field to Farm' or for Pembrokeshire look at 'One Planet Development' as a means of obtaining planning on more affordable agricultural land. For either you really need to be keen enough to develop an agribusiness whilst being given a hard time by the planning authorities.

If you want to take a chance as most do, then you might well get away with it indefinitely but equally you might find a nosy neighbour reports you almost immediately and you don't get permission. Of course you can move on but don't forget you'll need to sell the land.

I've pretty much gone full circle with this idea now & have returned to my original plan to live on a narrowboat as it's easier.

• ... have returned to my original plan to live on a narrowboat as it's easier.

Good luck with that one too. If you need to access a road vehicle, you may have to consider a permanent mooring, just so you can be within reach of your car or van. I need my van for work and have been lucky to find a mooring at a remote farm. However, some years ago the waterways authority here (not CRT or EA, by the way) informed the farmer he had to get rid of his community of riverbank moorings. I love where I am, but realise it may not be a long-term solution. I just make the most of being here while I can.

• Thanks all, I guess it's just about taking the plunge and seeing what happens, I've looked into the land and business thing before but think you need 12 acres for planning to be granted, and yes off radar is not so off radar these days.

- - - Updated - - -

Alice's wonderland what kind of homes to people build on land whilst off radar?

• Off Radar I've lived in Small tin trailers (tourer caravan) that I've dug a hole in the soil/subsoil, then sunk the caravan in to the hole and then built a metal frame (scaffold poles/scaffolding) around and above the whole caravan. Placing a tin sheet roof on top of the scaffolding frame and then Turfing the tin sheets. This not only insulated it from wind and rain, but also made it practically invisible from above. I lived in that for 18 months. I have lived in a double decker bus painted NATO green, but no matter how much paint I used I couldn't hide it. I was made to apply for full planning permission for the DD bus in the end. I've had benders and built a Barn, Statics and vans/campers. Even an ex police mobile control room 24foot long buy 8 foot wide. Oh for a very short period a Tip, but that attracted too much attention from jo public, who always thought I would like to receive visits from strangers. A horsebox I haven't tried, but did allow some travelers to move on next to me, in their horsebox. (just while she gave birth and could access a midwife) The Council came to ask me to move them on.

• Thanks so much for your advice, I've thought about the horse box thing before , esp if youvf got horses on the land. I really appreciate your comments . X

• Good luck with that one too. If you need to access a road vehicle, you may have to consider a permanent mooring, just so you can be within reach of your car or van.

Reluctantly I've also had to accept that all the while I need to work & have access to a vehicle I'm gonna have to find a liveaboard mooring, pretty much that means marina fees and even then permanent moorings are hard to find. Still think it's less hassle than fighting with planners though

• Have you thought about buying land overseas KSX?
    Dont quote me on this but .. i think the law is a little more relaxed about putting up yurts tipis and staying in caravans in countries such as Portugal, Spain etc.