Minimum amount to live on

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Ok, so ignoring all bills inc broadband and phone.. Also ignoring pet food..

how much do you live on? (If you don't mind sharing).. So I am taking food (interested to know how much people spend on food) but also do you have a set a,mount for treats?

ive been troy to live of £50 for 2 people per week and it's impossible.. And this is just the basics, not little extras..

• Its an interesting question agatha , are you talking about just food here ,
    And also different people have different mindsets as to what they think is there requirements ,

I can live on £25 a week for food , but i know others who can spend 3 times as much as that and still think there hard done to .

No offence to you personally ,but we all really do have to know how to shop around .

• For the food basics, ours - retired couple - is about £55 - £65 per week, depending whether you include a couple of beers/bottle of wine and treats like ice-cream once a week. But we grow quite a lot of our own veg, and buy off the local market where possible.
    Our food is pretty basic, but often dressed up a bit with herbs and spices, and we do home-made soups from leftovers and cooking water, all that scene. Often bake our own bread too, which warms the place up a treat, and we always have an oven meal done at the same time to maximise gas cooker use.
    Most of our canned food comes under the 'essentials' label, whoever we are buying from. Then we tart it up with a few additions.
    We are lucky to have an Aldi store within walking distance - 2 km - and now a Lidl has opened at about the same range. Shop for organic milk in Waitrose sometimes, but not for much else, as they are even dearer than Sainsburys.

• I have been living on about £30 to £35 a week, food only. With one shop in four going a bit over as I get a large bag of dog food once a month. This feeds two of us, three when my daughter remembers where she lives and includes cat food weekly.
    There is a facebook page called feed a family of four for twenty pounds a week, well worth a look. Im a tight git though ;) Im sure given a bit of incentive I could drop it a bit more.
    Add a few treats to the mix though and the price shoots up.

• Ok, so ignoring all bills inc broadband and phone.. Also ignoring pet food..

how much do you live on? (If you don't mind sharing).. So I am taking food (interested to know how much people spend on food) but also do you have a set a,mount for treats?

ive been troy to live of £50 for 2 people per week and it's impossible.. And this is just the basics, not little extras..

I don't think it's impossible. Where do you do your shopping? We very rarely spend more than £50 a week on food for two of us and that includes a couple of bottles of wine!

• I spend about £15-£20 week on food... A loaf of bead and a pint of milk will last me a week and eat pasta, pulses and veg mostly... When I'm working it only costs me £1 a day plus milk and a few snacks for when I get home.

• On average i spend between £30-£50 a week on groceries f
    or a family of four and try to put £20 a week on the electric. We eat well, can't afford organic fruit n veg but we grow a lot ourselves and i use lidl's and sometimes aldi and asda. I cook everything from scratch including pizza's. The £50 shops are usually special occasion shops that require birthday cake ingredients/wine/posh puddings...generally it's about £20 on tins/jars n freezer, bread n dairy and about a £10 a week on seasonal veg n fruit although do tend to buy bananas all year round and always buy fairtrade bananas.

• Post by greenvanman ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • I think I spend about £20 a week on food, but I do have lots of my own veggies. I live on around 6k a year and I run 2 vehicles and buy quite a few bottles of wine and as much organic stuff as I feel I can afford. I don't have a lot of the bills other people have as I live off-grid on my own land. I'm not able to claim any benefits though, as I don't have a proper address. I do have to be very careful about what I spend money on ....

' When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place '

• When I was totally broke on £73 pw dole - that covered my bills and left me with nothing for food. I had no choice or leeway as I couldn't get a job. Life was like this for a year and it was mega tough but I'm skilled at it - these were my top tips:
    1. Shop at 7pm - that's when the bargains are reduced.
    2. Buy anything cheap that cintains protein.
    3. Freeze everything you can. No wasteage is allowed.
    4. Don't use the electric kettle or tumble drier. Take lightbulbs out so fewer lights.
    5. Never use oven.
    6. Burn wood for warmth if poss. 2 hours heating a day max.
    6. I can survive on £7 a week for food (but you do feel hungry all the time). Buy sausages (3 dinners), potatoes, carrots, mince, peas. These with a loaf of bread and marg and beans x3 = 1 weeks food.
    7. Never buy cleaning fluids use soap powder (as they did in the war).
    By doing this I saved £10per week off my fuel bills which meant I could eat.

Also - go round friends houses who work. Cook for them, they would gladly provide a bit of extra food for a good homecooked meal. I used to get 2x good meals a week doing this (and heating!). It was a luxury especially if you get a pudding!

I now am working and couldn't spend over £20 if I tried. I'm so used to being frugal now.

Fresh veg etc is crucial but if you are really struggling like I was - I just bought a net of cheap lemons and drank water with half a lemon juiced in each day for vit C. Also utilise nature - nettles, rose hips, hawthorn berries and leaves. I also managed to get apples and grapes that were rotting in peoples garden by knocking and asking. I got 36kg of black grapes one year and made jam by getting money up front (50p) from friends to buy the sugar.

I know I rambled off topic somewhat probably but it might help to illustrate the dimensions of living cheap is about effort more than money.

• I reckon i spend at least £30 a week on food which is a lot just for me but i`m working full time at the minute so am spoiling myself a bit with organic veggies an stuff. When i have to though i can eat really healthily for cheap by making big pots of soups and stews and freezing them into portions.

• My fella and i spend around £40 a week on food, from aldi, but this could go down further, as we buy little treats like smoked meats and stilton when we go. We also go to the local farm shop, which is astounding how much you can buy for a tenner, but its quite a walk there and back, so we don't go as often as we should...

we generally buy fresh veg, blanche it all and freeze it, so we don't waste any. We also buy food like mince and sausages, make a casserole or bolognaise and freeze half, so it counts for two meals. Bulk it out with the cheaper foods, like pasta or mash.... Make everything from scratch, you can make twice the amount of bolognaise sauce for the cost of a jar of dolmio, if you make it from passata and tinned tomatoes etc.

• I want to be groovy on all posts!

thank you for your replies it's food for thought!

i really don't like lidl or aldi though.. It's far too stressful shopping in them, plus where I live I would have to drive further to get there.. I don't eat meat but do like quorn.. I guess that adds a bit.

I do admire how cheaply people can live and how much can be saved cooking from scratch..

i will ill read and digests your top tips!